450 450l turns 180 on spool up tail holds fine in hover

Chordline

Hello
I'm having this same issue with my 450l 3gx spins at least 180 on spool up.
I'm using a Dx6i tx and in rate mode (50%) I cannot seem to adjust the push rod far enough to eliminate the right tail yaw. In heading hold mode (66%) the tail still spins 180 to the right on spool up, but when I pick up into a hover the tail is rock solid. If I up the gain any higher the tail starts to wag and does not seem to help with the spool up problem. Can you elaborate on what it is you did to fix this or can anyone else help?

Tony

Staff member
I will answer this here as well since this is it's own thread.

What ESC are you running? Have you made sure you have very soft set to your start up speed?

Try putting some automotive vacuum line or some nitro fuel line on the skids. If you are on a hard surface, this will cause traction and the helicopter will not spin as easily.

what it's doing is, when you are spooling up, there is not enough speed in the tail to keep the tail solid. The torque from the main rotor blades is spinning it around. So either set a slow spool up in your ESC or just raise the throttle very slow.

Chordline

I'm running the align rce bl45x that came in the super combo kit. I've tryed spooling up on a piece of carpet didn't seem to help. It's pretty aggressive if I throttle up as slow as I possible can it helps but still get about a 180. I also tried flatting out my pitch curve to make sure I was at 0 pitch when it spools up . I have not tried to program the. Bec

Tony

Staff member
Try putting some kind of rubber feet on the skids. All of the helicopters used to have them until the pro models came out, then they were just plain plastic.

Chordline

Ok I will try the rubber feet. Do you think I need to mess with the bec programming I figured it would be programmed out of the box. The throttle seems to come on hard almost like your in throttle up mode

Tony

Staff member
If it's jerking, they yes, I would program the ESC. But, if you can hit throttle hold, raise the throttle to mid stick (this should be 0 pitch) then release throttle hold and it spools up slowly, then you know you are raising the throttle too slow and need to move the stick up to about 3/8 stick pretty quickly.

But the ESC should have been programmed from the factory.

Chordline

Thanks Tony
I checked the settings in esc they where all wrong including the slow start. Reprogrammed the esc back to stock and she spools up like a dream. This was my first kit build so never had to program an esc before I was a little nervous to start messing around with it. It really wasn't that bad. Thanks again for the help!

Tony

Staff member
Right on bro, I'm glad you have it spooling up like it should. Now we need a video of said spool up and flight!

Top Bottom