450 450L Tail hunting

reb1080

I am completing the build of a T-rex 450L 3s Dominator. I'm using the 3GX with a spektrum satellite reciever. I tried it out today and everything was fine except the tail. It seems that I can't adjust the gyro from the menu in my spektrum dx8 radio. The bird came off the ground straight and everything else seemed fine. I need to be able to turn the gyro gain down in the radio to stop the tail wag but changing the value in the radio had no effect. I was careful to program the 3gx for a 450 size heli, etc. Went all the way through the 3gx setup menus, the tail gain value is just too high. Maybe I need to change a setting in the radio setup? Any ideas why I can't change the gain in the gyro menu of the radio?

The bird seemed to respond to all inputs from the radio, the tail just hunts like crazy..............

Lee

Is it wagging or hunting?
They are two different things.
Wagging at high frequency is to high a gain value.
Hunting is when the tail is drifting back and forward at slow frequency.

For hunting, first thing to check, is if the tail mechanics are smooth as butter. All the way from the servo horn, to the blade grips.
Any stiffness can cause hunting.
Someone else will have to give you specific 3GX gyrp set up, as I have never used one. All Ikon for me :)

As for the gyro channel in your radio.
Go to the gyro menu in your radio, and flick the gyro switch. See if the arrow moves.
If not check below to see if the switch is assigned, to a channel and a switch. I have CH Gear, SW Gyro.

Hope this helps

reb1080

The tail was wagging, whipping back and forth (sorry for my mistake). Thank you for the radio help, it worked. However, in order to run the 3gx using only satellites, with no separate receiver, I had to put the gyro on Aux2 in the setup. Therefore, in the gyro menu, I had to assign it to Aux2 instead of gear. It works great now with the gain set at 50-55 with my spektrum satellite and spektrum DX8. CH Aux2 SW gyro.

Thank you Lee very much for your input. It helped a lot.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the gyro when using just satellites is on channel 7 and the governor is on 5. Not sure why, but that is the way it is. Glad you got it working.

Tony,

This does not apply to AR7200BX when using satellite, correct? I have my Dx9 Gear channel set to Gyro. If you see my other post I am chasing the same issue.

Tony

Staff member
You are correct, the 3GX is the only one to switch the gyro gain channel. You should be on channel 5.

holtneil

Hi guys the easy way to see if the gyro channel is right when all powered up go into gyro on transmitter and turn it down as it drops into rate mode the LED light should change colour, if it dont I would look at the channel its on in the transmitter Dx6i ues gear channel DX9 use aux2 so they are not all the same had this on a 3gx where the gyro would not change rate

Top Bottom