450 450L Newbie - Severe Rudder Shaking on test run up

ilikeplanes

Hi, I just spun up my 450L after configuring the swash plate correctly. As the head-speed gets to half throttle the tail shakes violently.

Any adivce?

Thanks

Derek

It's probably that your gyro gain is a bit high. If you could share a video of what your helicopter is doing, we'd be able to make more educated guesses. However, it sounds like when your helicopter is gaining rpm, so it the tail rotor and perhaps your tail gain is higher than it needs to be. Try lowering your gyro gain at 5% increments and see if you can get the tail to settle down. Another option would be that your tail slider rod is too long or too short.

Slobberdog

Are you running V4 on the 3Gx, if so ensure you are running zero delay in the software, and if you are running V4 then you might not get rid of the wag its an on going issue

the above is what to look at after you try what Derek says above

Last edited:

ilikeplanes

Image below shows rudder gain at 93, but I am not clear how to adjust that setting.

2014-01-25 12.16.31.jpg

The rest show the other settings FYR. Does everything look ok?
2014-01-25 12.16.11.jpg2014-01-25 12.16.04.jpg2014-01-25 12.15.50.jpg

2014-01-25 12.16.31.jpg

2014-01-25 12.16.11.jpg

2014-01-25 12.16.04.jpg

2014-01-25 12.15.50.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Turn your rudder locking gain adjustment back up to suggested. And to lower the gain, you will do that in your Tx in the gyro menu. If you are using just satellite Rx's, make sure your gain channel is set to 7 or Aux2. If you are using a separate Rx, such as the AR6210, then set your gyro gain channel to 5 or Gear.

Let us know your configuration and what Tx you are using and we can help you out even more. As for the other settings, everything looks pretty good.

ilikeplanes

I am using the DX6i with a remote receiver so I can only adjust the gyro gain when connected to the USB on computer. I tried about 6 different gyro settings from suggested all the way down to zero.

Tony

Staff member
If you are using a DX6i, then you MUST use a separate Rx. It's required. There is no way to adjust the gain otherwise.

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately no. I have been hoping they would put this option in there for those like yourself that is running the 6i and only wants to run teh satellites. But, they have not. I know Ikon and Bx both you can adjust the gain in the software, but not on the 3GX.

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately, not many LHS know that you can't use just satellites with the 3GX and the DX6i. They are all used to 7+ channels.

Slobberdog

On v4 the rudder locking gain needs to be 40-50, or the tail starts bouncing, tbh I really disliked v4 and have gone back to v3.1 on my 450 DFC it feels so much safer for me,

I had v4 working on mine with the help of Ian Contessa (Coolice) and it still felt wooly on the tail,

Also you have a lot of your settings for a beginner, you may want to put your simulated flybar up to about 65%

ilikeplanes

Next problem (the list never stops!).

Attached image I am bound to the Rx and I beleive all wired correctly, but now there is no power to the 3GX, or at least it wont power up. Any ideas?

2014-01-25 17.15.46.jpg

2014-01-25 17.15.46.jpg

Slobberdog

It looks like you have the power lead for the receiver coming from the bind/subs port on the 3Gx not the battery out port, swap that around and see if it then works

- - - Updated - - -

Scratch that its correct

- - - Updated - - -

Turn the plug around on the battery lead so the white wire is at the top on your receiver

ilikeplanes

Previously my 3GX was bound directly to my DX6i using a satellite Rx and now I am trying to use the Spektrum receiver. Is it possible that I need to "un-bind" the 3GX from the satellite? Or do I have to re-set the 3Gx maybe?

- - - Updated - - -

Just tried that, then no bind on the Rx and still no power on the 3GX

Tony

Staff member
Do what Kev suggested and then rebind teh system. Right now, you are not bound to the new Rx. All of the wiring looks correct to me.

Top Bottom