450 450L Dominator tail delay

Eggy 71

I had to put my 450 on the shelf for a bit but I've got some time to finish it off and get it in the air. It has the 3GX gyro and I've just completed the tail setup/ I watched the video and set the delay to zero with the computer/transmitter with the red status light. I noticed as I hit the set button the delay goes up to 30. Is this normal?

Tony

Staff member
Yup, it's a glitch in the system. If I remember correctly (it's been quite a while since I actually setup a 3GX), you need to set it to about 5-7 and it will bounce back to 0. I remember I had to play with it for quite some time to figure out how to get it to 0, but I finally got it. Let me know if that works. If not, I may have to put the gyro on the computer and figure it out again lol.

Eggy 71

I've been messing around for an hour or so with the same result. It goes between large and small heli settings just fine and will only read at the stick position as it travels. The further the rudder control, the higher the number. When I release it goes back to 0 or very close. (5 was as about as high as it stuck at). Just a slight twitch would reset to zero. Each time I hit set it locks in at 30.

- - - Updated - - -

Two other things I forgot. I on ver 5.0 right now and I've had a first maiden flight and it seems to be ok but I'm pretty timid right now. I haven't flow any helis this size before so taking it slow.

Tony

Staff member
V5 could have tip over issues (you would have known on your take-off) or it could have tail issues. The tail issue that I had was you would give tail input, say nose left 90º. It would turn like I told it but then the tail would bounce back 180º taking it to a nose right. Next time you put it up, try some fast but short tail movements and see if it's bouncing like that.

As for the delay, it is in milliseconds. So if 30 is all you can get, you should be fine, just a slight delay when wind hits the tail or something. You probably won't even notice.

Smoggie

If i recall correctly setting tail delay is one of the annoying little 'quirks' of the 3GX. For modern servos it's best set to zero but to get it to stay at zero dont use the 'save button'. Just set it to zero and let setup time out (it's years since I programmed a 3GX but that's my recollection)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That actually sounds familiar. I would have to wait until I get to the house to test one of my 3GX gyro's to confirm though.

Top Bottom