General 450 wanting to tip over.

Tony

Staff member
What URI was asking is what ESC do you have? If you let us know, we can try and tell you how to program it with the transmitter to enable soft start if it has that feature. But, a better option would be to get a good ESC and a program card and go from there. I really like the Align ESC's, others have had great luck with the Castle Creations ESC's and those like Lee have been loving the YEP brand ESC's. Best thing about the YEP is they are cheap and work pretty well. I never could get the governor to work right, but that could have just been me though lol.

murankar

Staff member
Thanks tony, yeah if you could let us know which one you have we can step you through it. Its just a matter of getting into program mode.

Castle has a great PC interface once you order the free adapter. Its super easy to setup and soft start is the bees knees. I have the Phoenix 50amp Lite. Have no issues. I also paired my with a 10 amp castle external bec, which is not necessary with most setups. I run Savox servos and those have been know to strain out a 5amp bec.

I have used a scorpion commander 45amp and it did really well also. Down side to that one is the IR programing card. I have not used yep as of yet but tony and Lee have.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
The only thing I don't like about the soft start (and maybe I do in a way) is it's ALWAYS soft. It's not like the Align ESC's where you have a very soft start, and then it's all linear. With the YEP, you get the soft spool up, but you also get a soft transition from normal to IU1 to IU2. This is good when you are just flying around, but if you happen to hit throttle hold accidentally, you will yet again have a slow spool up.

I made a mistake of doing a flip in normal mode with the YEP, and the ESC almost didn't recover in time to save the helicopter. I'm talking full pitch and it just barely made it out.

DavidDutch

I have never seen this happen, even if you hit TH, if within 3 secs(and that is a lot) you put if of again there should be no problem. Also on the ID1 or 2 never noticed it (simply because it only should softstart from 0 throttle). If this would be an issue on the YEP then it also would be an issue on all previous YGE models :wink:

Tony

Staff member
Not necessarily. Since this is a clone of the YGE, the program could be slightly different. Meaning that YGE could have soft start for spooling up and a secondary code for when it's going from IU1 to IU2 that is quicker. This was my experience and it's possible that I had a bad ESC. I had some issues with it that Lee has never had. I do think I need to give it one more go, but in due time.

DavidDutch

Could be, I only fly Yep 40, 45(version 1) and 80 , HW and align and never experienced it. Yes the software/hardware was tiny little different because the old YGE didn't do good on the gov function and the yep did. But I am talking then only on the old YEP's because the version 2 was not as good as the 1st versions(and some models only selling version 2), so don't know which you have.

But there are more good ESC's Always liked the align and still have them on my 250's

norjul

Thanks guys for the reply's, sorry my fault. my esc is a turnigy multystar 45amp. but its does not seam to be softstart it spools up rappidly so going to change it to yep 40amp from hobbyking, simply because it seems to have more settings on it and i will get the program card when its back in stock. swash servo's are ds430m still waiting for ds425 tail servo to arrive. just hope the becs can cope.

Tony

Staff member
Check out this link. If this is the ESC you have, it's made for a multi-rotor and I'm sure even if you turned the "acceleration" down on it, it would still be pretty fast for a helicopter. But it's worth a shot. If this is not the ESC you have, link me to the one that you do have and I will see what I can do.

norjul

thanks i reallise it now, at the time i was new to rc heli's but now i have joined this site i have leaned a lot more. so i am going to replace the esc with a yep 40amp (2-6s) sbec brushless esc. thank you guys for all the info.

Top Bottom