450 450 tail vibration

Lee

I haven't tried it. Ordered a new motor any way so i think i'll just try that and use this motor in the Jet when i get a new prop adapter.

Lee

Your not paying attention Tony :D I changed the shaft over so there is no vibration any more in the motor. But the prop adapter is bent so i need a new one before i can fly it again. I could put it back in the heli but i have a new motor coming from England with my mother tomorrow. No time for toys over the next few days. Wedding on Friday :)

Tony

Staff member
I never pay attention, you should know that hahaha. I have been running around trying to get this ready for the other site for the last week lol. I'm pretty much lost right now.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'll have a toast to you and your new wife on sat. So when that little click hits the back of your head, you will know why! Lol

Lee

At last the problem is solved

Finally after 5 months i have found the problem of the vibration.
To recap, i changed everything you can on the heli that would cause vibrations. Tail assembly at least 3 times, different shafts, tail grips, hubs, belt tight, belt loose, drive gears, main gears and finally the motor.
The motor did have a bent shaft which wasn't helping the vibration problem, but it wasn't the cause.
The cause was..............Carbon boom!!!! Can you believe it??? all this time and it was the boom.
I guess the carbon amplified the vibration at a certain frequency. But with the aluminium boom, nothing???? not a peep from the tail. Smooth as a babies bottom.
Did a quick test on my roof but i will have to wait for the maiden flight as the wind is back for a few days.
Looking forward to finally getting my 450 in the air after 5 months.
So today all my birds 450, 500 and 600 are flying. Lets see how long that lasts :D

Tony

Staff member
I told you it was resonance lol. And to just power through it hehe. Glad you got it all figured out bro. Take it out in the wind and do a real maiden. I flew my Edge the past two days in wind lmao.

Lee

You couldn't power through it. The vibrations were enough to destroy the heli. I will never buy a carbon boom again for a 450. I have a nice gold one on now.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Glad to hear it Lee ... I don't know what it means for my 450 though :biggrin1: I took it out the other day not to try and maiden it, but to just spin it up and see how it behaved. HUGE amount of vibration. I do not know at this point where exactly it's at, but assume the main shaft is crap or the rotors are out of balance.

Lee

Well take one bit off at a time till the vibes stop. Blades first. then head leaving shaft in. spin and hold something against the shaft to feel for vibrations. work your way through everything that spins. You'll find it eventually, i hope not 5 months like me LOL

Wanaero

I just flew my heli last week and the pinion came loose and it came down hard.

Bought a new pinion and changed the drive gear as well. Thinking everything would be ready to fly but when i was about to fly today i found out the link rod is bent, so i pulled out a plier and adjusted it straight.,

When flying the tail starts to wag at 80% throttle.

Now i'm thinking what could the problem be... Most likely the link rod.
Or could it be the gear drive that i changed?

Tony

Staff member
The faster the head spins, the more sensitive the tail. If you are flying in idle up, try putting your gyro on your F Mode switch, and dial down the gain a little in idle up. I had to do this to mine.

Lee

When you changed the pinion, did you get the same size? If it wasn't wagging before and it is now after changing pinion, i'd count the teeth.

Wanaero

When you changed the pinion, did you get the same size? If it wasn't wagging before and it is now after changing pinion, i'd count the teeth.

Pinion change to exact size as it used to be. Do you think a bent link rod will do that? I've straighthen it by visually using a plier and now i can't find which is the rod that i straighthen.
I did change the torque tube gear as well and that requires me to strip the tail boom. Just woken up by my wife and she said i was talking heli in my sleep. Haha this is getting addictive.

Lee

Ok then reduce the gyro gain till it stops wagging. The swash link wont cause wag, just cause the heli to move in one direction.

Wanaero

Did a check on my blade pitch and found out that the blade grip was bent... I straighthen it out and viola... It is smooth again... So many things to check...

Top Bottom