450 450 tail boom bent

pcm26

T-Rex 450 plus Flybarless. Stock no upgrades. Learning to hover and have been doing well. Had crash today. My fault. Heli condition. Bent boom
about 3 inches from tail.Able to straighten. Has left 1/2 in or less dent both sides not to deep. 1 main blade tip cracked. What I have done so far. Straighten boom and replaced main blade. Then I have inspected everything. Looked for cracks, bends, main shaft, tail blades servos.ect. all looks good. Put her back in the Air. Very little vibration. Hovered and moved around just fine. No strange noise ect. Need opinions. Should I kept flying.
This is my learning heli or replace boom,belt. I have done very little work on helis. maybe this would be a good way to start learning.I have a 20 yr hx of flying all kinds of RC planes and enjoyed the re build. I have never changed a boom or belt. The crash can be the best learning tool. Thanks in advance. You all have always been a great help with my heli journey. pcm26 Houston

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey there pcm26. I've bent many tail boom and straighten them out. You really don't have much room inside the boom with the belt . 1/2" dent on both side is alot. If you fly like that you could possibility be wearing the belt on the inside without you knowing it. Eventually the belt might break while flying then you will have a lot more to fix beside the boom and belt if the heli crash because of that belt wearing out. I would replace it if I was you. You said you never changed a boom or belt so maybe It's a good time to learn. Just my opinion.

pcm26

That's what I going to do. Replace the boom and I have a new belt. I got her up this morning and it just didn't feel right. Time to have some fun. Thanks for the reply and input

KLA

Also check your feathering spindle. A bent feathering spindle is a common cause of vibrations. Plus, most are soft as butter and bend very easy. If the blade hit hard enough to crack the tip, then there is a good chance the spindle is bent. Even a very slight bend will cause a vibration.

murankar

Staff member
Take off the main blades. Use a hex key and rotate the spindle. Watch the blade grips closely. Your looking for a wobble or a shift in the grips. If that shows nothing then roll it on glass.

pcm26

Hey guys got the new boom and belt in. No problems even for a first timer. But guess what ? I check the Feathering shaft and it was bent. Who would of thought of that. Glad you guys did. Put new one in and
All is well in 450 land for today. But why I got you guys on the phone. I have another question. I have 2 450 (yes i am Addicted) The 2nd one my friend who has moved away, help me change all Metal
rotor head,swash tail belt and changed to larger tail blades (68) Same setting on the sec T-6 trans both were RTF. The all metal bird fly's a lot more stable. Both Trans set up the same. What parts and making this difference or all of them?? I am still new. Burning up the sky with my blade 230 s Can do very slow 8s with the 450. The pitch and rest are the same on both helis . Thanks again for all your help. pcm26 Houston TX

Tony

Staff member
More than likely you are getting less flex out of the metal parts (or no flex) so it's making it feel more stable since you have more control of the helicopter. As long as all settings are exactly the same, exact same helicopters and so on and the only difference is the plastic vs metal parts...

murankar

Staff member
Not all crashes result in bents head spindles but then again most crashes do. As for your crash box you should have a few things in there to help get you flying again. Things that I like to keep on hand are main/feathering/tail output shafts; booms, main blades tail blades; skids and rear tail output box. One thing I think your like is having prebuilt sub assemblies. This makes field repairs easy peezy.

My goal is to have assemblies built for the Goblin this winter. Then when spring hits I can go fly a bit more easier knowing I have back up parts.

Top Bottom