450 450 MX motor

Tony

Staff member
Just an FYI, that is a 6s motor. You want the 3400kv motor for 3S. And yes, it will fit.

trainrider06

I got the right one, talked to the guy, very nice and refunded my money immediately!
Found the right one, and bought it.
Now gotta get a pinion....what's a good size to get? 12? 13?

Tony

Staff member
I would get an 11 or 12 to start off with. If you are running helical. If you are running straight cut, 13 to 14 (I think, been a while since I ran a straight cut).

trainrider06

Yeah I have straight cut on that one....what is it I can't remember higher tooth lower headspeed? Or the opposite? I may pick up 2-3 different sizes

holtneil

Hi Rodney what price was the motor mate , is it like the one i linked you , if you use the 150T main then use 15T pinion , if you want lower head speed then drop to a 13T or 14T

trainrider06

Ah Ok thank you Tony, and Neil yes I believe it's 150T gearing.
Dang it think I ordered a 12, and 13 tooth pinion...I reckon the 13 will be ok huh?
Am not going to be doing stunt flying with this thing, just sport.
I got the 3400KV $42.50 shipped....guess I'd better order some more pinions lol.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
the 13 will be fine. More torque to the head, but lower head speed. Now that Neil says it, I think 15 is stock on the straight cut. I think. Your going to like the 450mx. It's what I have in my 450 Pro V2, and I also have a brand new one still in teh box that I got for 75% off at my LHS. Along with a LOT of other stuff lol. They were getting out of Align so they had everything marked WAY down. I purchased just about everything lmao.

trainrider06

the 13 will be fine. More torque to the head, but lower head speed. Now that Neil says it, I think 15 is stock on the straight cut. I think. Your going to like the 450mx. It's what I have in my 450 Pro V2, and I also have a brand new one still in teh box that I got for 75% off at my LHS. Along with a LOT of other stuff lol. They were getting out of Align so they had everything marked WAY down. I purchased just about everything lmao.
Oh you parts hoarder! Lol Why are the helical gears rated higher than the straight for head speed?

- - - Updated - - -

HI Rodney like Tony said the 13T will be good your get a good flight time at lower head speed , see how you get on if you dont like it or start to run at max throttle all the time then I would up the pinion, there is an after market pinion that tougher than the align one but not in all sizes but may be 15T
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...gj4biibpcZRHCH86A&sig2=b9rKNj12bUlqjWwTv-MK6w
Thanks for the link Neil! I just ordered a 14T gear also for it from Amain hobbies.
I like that R/CAreodyne site, they have a work stand on there that I've drooled over for a year now!
Would love to get one some day!
Is there somewhere that one can calculate head speed for different gearing/pinion combos?
Isn't say a Pro frame 450 running a different main gearing? Like 143-5 something like that?
I had forgotten all about the gearing/pinion combos needed on these helis.

Tony

Staff member
The final ratio will be the same. It's just the tooth count is different because of teh size difference of each tooth. For example, a 151 tooth main gear and a 15 tooth pinion yields a 10.06 ratio. This is for the straight cut. But if you go to a helical cut, you would have a 121 tooth main with a 12 tooth pinion for a 10.08 ratio. Almost exactly the same. Hope this makes sense.

holtneil

Rodney they are ment to be more quiet than straight cut gears, also get Black ones they are a tougher compound , if I run up both my 500s the slant gear is quiet compared to the straight cut

Top Bottom