450 450 Dominator Build

Smoggie

Some slight transient vibration as she gets up to speed is normal, though if it's bad that's something to be concerned about. I'm assuming you have adjusted the grips so we can rule that one out.

Other than that it's back to the point I made earlier. If you are using 'the dreaded normal mode' then when you move the stick down to kill the throttle you are also applying negative pitch. Too much negative with the heli on the ground can sometimes cause problems because the blades can swing down in their grips.
The simple fix is not to use normal mode at all. Just use all idle up flight modes starting and stopping the motor only with the throttle hold switch. Blades to be held near zero pitch during spoolup and spooldown. If you insist on using 'normal mode' for some reason then make a pitch curve that only has a couple of degrees negative so as to avoid spooling up or down with large negative pitch angle applied.

Last edited:

trainrider06

When I had stock ESC on my L I'd spool up in normal with no issues of blade strike running -12/+12, with a throttle curve of
0/39/70/70/70 and never whacked the boom, but when spooling down I'd also be in normal but hit TH as soon as skids touched down. I also get as Steve mentioned and still do to an extent that shake of the heli a bit. Running a governor now I love how this thing spools up. Although I'll still spool up in normal mode but I put stick at half throttle before flicking TH off.
When landing am at mid stick when skids hit and TH is activated.
As Steve said probably best practice is to use his mode of operation. I just keep thinking there is something else going on there though...

Maybe what im seeing is normal. My 500 just spools up nice and slow.

I only use normal for idle up and checking mechanical issues.

Ive never used a governor but from what I understand the Ikon has one built in, maybe ill search youtube on how to set it up.

trainrider06

The HW ESC has one of the best Governors going right now the V4 has super adjustability on ones preference of spool up times!
What do you mean using normal for idol up and checking mechanical issues??
There are 2 to 3 flight modes depending on radio, or F-Mode. Idol 0 usually lower throttle curves, idol 1 medium, and idol 2 for full on 3D flights. Is usually how people program it.

Smoggie

+1 Rodney. I also use the inbuilt Hobbywing governor. Reason being that it's so simple to setup and it works great. The governor in the FBL 'might' theoretically give slightly better governor performance, but it's more complex to setup because you need an RPM input to the FBL and the actual programming is much more involved.

The Hobbywing 'Gov-store' setup is as simple as simple can be and needs no external RPM sensors or inputs.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey Planet. I'll put my 2 cents in. I agree with smoggie and trainrider06. I have two HW ESC, 50A/60A and getting ready to get a 100A for the 500. I have no complaints with the ESC. I didn't use the Gov. on any of my heli either til those two guys explain it and got me to set it up & use it. I love it now and wouldn't fly it any other way. The head speed seems to stay nice and steady. The helis also seem to fly real smooth during flight. Especially if your flying inverted. I'm pleased that I finally got the Gov. set up. I like it. I think you will too.:biggrin1:

Smoggie

Best deal around: From Hobbywing Direct (the official US distributor) with free US shipping. The 60A V4 for $49.60: HOBBYWING North America  Platinum PRO V4 - 60A (3S-6S) Use discount code 'RCHELINATION' at checkout.

PS.. if you are new to Hobbywing ESC's then you will want a programming box too. The V4 cant be stick programmed. Actually the default settings will work 'ok' but the programming box lets you get the most out of the eSC.

Much appreciated.

So i took the heli in to the local hobby shop who owns and flies the 450L as his go to heli. He said the vibration at 1/4 stick is normal and called it ground/servo frequency vibration. He also asked why I start up in normal mode. Suggested I startup straight into stunt 1 and when i land use throttle hold and float it down a foot or so.

Im also going to switch to the stock blades, i put some Curtis Youngblood cf's on it and he said that they only will cause that vibration at spool up. He suggested i change back to stock blades and get used to spooling up in Stunt mode, and when im comfortable with that switch back to the cf

Tony

Staff member
Your 450 is spooling up too fast because soft start is not turned on in your ESC. Turn it on and it will spool up like your 500.

murankar

Staff member
Nice thing about the hobby wing is that it has the rpm sensor out wire. Just hook that to your gyro or governor. I have mine hooked up the Neo on both the X3 and the 570. Works like a charm.

murankar

Staff member
The white wire? yes, that's the rpm out signal wire used for telemetry and FBL governors. I have that wire plugged into my RPM port on my Neos and I get headspeed telemetry feed back from it or I could use the Neo governor if I wanted.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Is this the yellow wire? Where would this plug into? And does it record RPM's or something in the software or what? I'm a little confused here on it. On my 500 I have it taped back.

Top Bottom