450 450 3S helicopter upgrade to 6S

Derek

If I were to take a 450 v2 FBL with a 3S setup and convert it to a 6S setup, what kind of things could I expect to see? The servo's being used are trusty metal gear servos. I guess I'm just wondering if I could simply swap the ESC and motor and call it done.

Tony

Staff member
As long as your new ESC has a good BEC in it, then that is all you have to swap. But, you need to also do a frame mod so that the 6s will fit under the canopy. Most people just cut the frame where the battery strap goes through.

Lee

He'll need to change the motor too Tony.
You'll need something around 1600KV Derek. My Warp uses 1350KV and there are a number of motors out that are made for 6S 450s. Scorpion has one. Compass has one, or you could just get the Align ESC and motor from the Dominator :D

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
He said motor, right towards the end of his post. I think you are more asleep than I am right now lol.

Lee

I just got the impression from your post, that he would only need to change the ESC and thats all.
I'm high on Diazipan for back pain :D

Tony

Staff member
I want some!!! lmao. Yeah, my post just reflected the ESC. Although it would be pretty cool to see a 3500kv motor on 6s... MAD head speed lmao.

murankar

Staff member
I want some too for my back pain. Scorpion makes 6s motors for the 450s. At least they make them for my protos. That upgrade would cost me a fortune at this juncture. Good luck with it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

I probably won't make this jump until after my birthday, in February. I appreciate the comments. The wife has given me permission to shop for a 700, so I don't know if I want to pursue the 450 or the 700 first.

murankar

Staff member
It just depends on what you want and what flying space you have. With the 700 you are going to want to fly at an rc park/club. With a 450 you can fly around the house. Also if you go 6S you might want to think about a stretch version. Go from 325mm mains to 350mm mains.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

I do have a few places that i can confidently fly my 600 and the 700 would fit with ease. The 450, on the other hand would be a treat just about anywhere. Stretching the 450 would definitely be a possibility.

cml001

Is like to see the conversion.... Thought about it myself.. Think I'll keep my 450 as is tho... The back pain... No way bro... I'm too surgerys deep... Had enough pills.. Just keep movin thru the pain brother! And Derek... U GOTTA tell me how u got permission from the mrs for a big boy... I have a secret stash saving for a 550.. Give it up man... Inquiring minds must kno!

Derek

I'm just lucky enough to have a wife that enjoys seeing these rc helicopters. She has no interest in learning to fly them but she has flown my glider with me while on the buddy box. she did really well. My wife can see that I enjoy the build and I enjoy the thrill of the flight. She tells me that she doesn't mind what I spend my "overtime" money on, as long as the bills are paid, food is in the fridge, and some money is going into savings. So...I just have to work a bit of overtime and I can get what I want. Now, since I do have a 1 week old baby girl, some of my rc money is directed towards her, but I still manage to put some $$$ aside for my RC stuff.

Tony

Staff member
i give it two years and you are going to cash it out for the latest and greatest 700+ size bird hahahahahahaha.

xokia

You might consider just switching to 4S both the ESC and motor can handle 4S. Tarot sells a 10T pinion to get the head speed down. My 3S KDE is a beast on 65C batteries. I also recommend just trying some good quality batteries on 3S. 65C made such a huge improvement on my heli.

concept30

you probably going spend as much upgrading your 450 so much that it will just be easier to buy the 700 kit, I said kit cause theres not a single wife in the world that will let her husband spend 1500 dollars on a BNF 700 heli lol :)

Top Bottom