FBL Gyro 3Gx v4.0 set up and descriptions of new computer flight settings

alan

I have two trex450's with the 3Gx system. I have upgraded to version 4.0 but now I have new options on flight mode pages without any well written explanations as to what they mean or do.
has any one out there figured this maze out yet? I am looking for the most stable settings and can't find enough information on just what effect changing any givin parameters will do with out risking a crash by experimental means.

alan

Thank you for the responce but what i meant was answers to things like: flight condition control,collective pitch elev precompenstion,simulated flybar parameters, all the long foregin jargon that us newbees don't have a clue as to what they do or what setting would work best for our skill level.
Even I can tell that there is a lot of changes between 3.1 and 4.0 but if you don't know the 3Gx system well enough to make these setting choices that would work best for you, your in a bad way. pick a setting.. ok,, what is the setting when it is too high? when is too low?just what does these terms mean and how do they work on aircraft stability.. just the jargon alone will throw me off. :wink:

murankar

Staff member
This is a generic answer but most of the time if a setting wrong (I.e. to high or low) you will see the heli acting in a negative way. Things like oscillation, twitching or a wag.

I too am at a point where all of this is foreign to me. I have settings with P.I.D. that I don't understand yet. I basically know what they do but don't know where to start in the settings. Dont worry RCH will get you the knowledge you need to make a great flight. It will take a few tries but you'll get there.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Ken Jackson

Unless your really good the defaults are designed for the novice flyer. If you are concerned about a specific item say roll rate or something sure someone can help you out. I have never had to tweak any settings on my 3GX I am still running 3.1 cause it has been good to me.

However I just moved it from a 500 to a 450 so maybe its time to up the firmware.

Good Luck,

Ken

Graham Lawrie

Hi Alan, were your old settings working fine? The 3gx is quite an advanced gyro with many features and tweaks for very advanced flying.

What level are you at? I am relatively new to this (2 years), and have found little need to tweak the 3gx. Just because 3gx has upgrades it does not mean you need to do them.
And as we have all found Align don't always get it right, hence the upgrades, which aren't always good.

That said, with 3gx it is finding what works best for you. If you have a specific issue post it up. You will get the answer here.

alan

I am new, about 7 months, so novice is really an overstatement. But I do know what it feels like to sit in a real UH1 and the challenge of a hover, aside from a controlled landing, is the most difficult thing to master. My challenge is to slow the control responses down to gain confidence while still providing the sensitivity to make required inputs. In a huey flying is a matter of pointing the aircraft towards any direction but the ground, and it will fly like any other aircraft. But mastering the hover is like sitting in an elevator that is capable of going in any one of six directions, as well as a 360 deg circle in less than a heart beat. I believe that anyone can make a helicopter jump off the ground and perhaps get it fly, but it will end in a crash. To me, hovering is like sitting on a one legged bar stool at last call and still trying to stay above the floor till the lights flicker. :wink:. My 3gx quest is to obtain the best settings that will enable a hover long enough to get the feel of the aircraft before taking it to a height that will do more extensive damage. I cannot find sufficient material on the 3gx that fully explains how the aircraft will respond to each change of the 3gx setting. The "if -then" is missing and the "what -if or “if-then" remains experimental at our expense. To tell me what something "is" does not answer the question of what it "does". I found a brief attempt for describing the V 3.1 features but even the categories have changed wording in the V4.0 so what good is it? I need to know what effect each setting has on the stability of the aircraft. In the life of an aviator, take offs are optional but landings are mandatory. The defining difference between walking away from a flight or being scraped up off the ground is their ability to descend and then to hover an helicopter to a point where you want it to stop at .

Slobberdog

Hi I use about 70% simulated flybar and 40% cyclic dampening on both my 450 and 500 with a little expo in the transmitter, it takes the edginess off the Heli for me but still feels direct,

Tony's series of videos helps but like all things it's down to the individuals taste, and flying style,

Ken Jackson

The higher the number in your dual rate setups the more range of the servo you are using. If your looking to just hover comfortably you can limit your servos to say 50%, this will make the bird slower moving back and forth and forward and backwards. So since you are using a 3GX make those changes in the radio dual rate setup.

I have my lowest at 76, my middle switch at 86 (DX8) and my high setting is 100. I normally fly at 100 so I get every bit of servo range possible. You need to lower yours to dampen the feel. I flew a real helicopter last June and I know what you mean about being touchy. I flew fine but didn't hover very well. Of course first time flying a real helicopter and 15 feet off the ground was too close for me.

The other setting to calm your helicopter is your pitch. If your at 0, 25,50, 75, 100 you have full negative and full positive. Try going with 40, 50, 60, 75, 100. This will take away the negative pitch and also make it calmer. I always give at least 10% (40) negative pitch so if its windy and you go up high you can still get her down, Lol

Ken

Ken

Top Bottom