Other 3gx top case required

brent

Hey everybody. so after reading around and watching some you tube vids I got worried about the possible static re boot the 3gx can do because of the crome case.
Soooo I started to go about melting the crome off seemed easy enough in the videos so I started with spray and wipe with no luck, then move to foaming bbq cleaner which by the way sure makes things clean but didn't budge the crome at all, then I tried aceatone and even brake fluid still nothing.
Right time for some grunty stuff.... a walk over to the cow shed and I'm pooring cholinated alkilines and acids on it still nothing!!
after all this of course I was determined to get it off so I resorted to the thing I saw work on other cromed items, flame!! got the crome off alright but it holds heat well and has damaged the plastic and become brittle so I'm hoping for some reason someone has a dead 3gx of which I can buy the case from? after this attempt I recommend just leaving the thing alone or a media blaster like the first video I watched but don't have one so couldn't try.

murankar

Staff member
To be honest I don't think its the chrome causing the static discharge. If those folks have belted tail drive then that could be the root cause of the static. The static goes from the belt to the plastic then other parts of the heli. The cure would be to run a ground wire from the boom to the motor block. This static build up is called (I think) grafenburg effect. For the ground all you would need to do is run a small gauge wire from the tail box area all the way to the motor.

Now a 450 can generate static but i don't think it would be enough to transfer.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

I've heard of the "static" issues before. My 500 is belt driven. I've had it for almost 3 years and I haven't had a problem. My 500 is also flybarred, so I can't say if the casing would cause an issue or not.

brent

Thanks for the replies guys, The belt drive is what got me worried, I did have the 3gx on my tt trex 450 running v4 and it flew great but was just a bit unstable on lift off (the reason it was taken off the 700n).
But after buying an old 600n sport which I converted to fbl using an old non dfc head from my 700 I upgraded the firmware to v5 and thought I'd better remove the crome just to be safe been that the 600 is a shakey old nitro and belt driven but al the abuse the poor case took in the process has left it a lot worse for wear.

Top Bottom