450 3GX tail wag

xokia

So I have gotten confident enough in my flying skills with the MCPX that I took my 450 out today.
The difference is crazy haha. The 450 is like a dang rocket ship in comparison.

I had one problem with the 450 with pitch pumps the tail would blow out and then when I would catch the orentation the tail would shake badly and then settle down and hold.

The gyro I have set to 68% I tried moving it down to 66% and up to 70% it didn't seem to make a difference.
I think if I remeber correctly I should move it down to get rid of the shake. I was kinda suprised it would blow the tail out.
Why would the tail blow out?

murankar

Staff member
If I am not mistaken, if you run in normal mode the the tail will blow out a bit during pitch pumps. If you want to check it for sure go into id1 and try a pitch pump and see if it blows out.

Last edited by a moderator:

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I would make sure that your tail boom hasn't slipped out by chance giving it not enough throw to go against the torque ....

And no in normal mode too it shouldn't blow out

xokia

Are you guys all responding on samsung tab2's? I notice a double posts when I use mine also.

No I was not in idle up.
I am using a DX8 transmitter. The shake makes me think the gyro is over compensating and I need to turn it down. But the tail blow out has me confused. It's not a slight blow out it's pretty significant.

The tail wag occurs after a blow out.

Derek

Unfortunately, the double posting is happening to many of us. Tony is aware of this issue and he says that there is probably a problem with the server. He's contacted the server host and hopefully this "double posting" stuff will get resolved soon.

xokia

I figured out how NOT to double post when you click reply a pop up shows up asking if you want to leave the page.
Choose to stay on the page. It will look like you didnt post but leave and come back in and your post will be there but only once.

heli-maniac

Are you guys all responding on samsung tab2's? I notice a double posts when I use mine also.

No I was not in idle up.
I am using a DX8 transmitter. The shake makes me think the gyro is over compensating and I need to turn it down. But the tail blow out has me confused. It's not a slight blow out it's pretty significant.

The tail wag occurs after a blow out.

the gain is way to high for a DX8 you need to drop that down a DX8 gain is -100 to 0 to 100 anything above 0 is HH mode
i have mine down at 28 and it seems fine

Last edited:

Lee

Whats your throttle curve set to in Normal. If its linear, then the sudden change in throttle and pitch at the same time causes a lot of torque. In Id1 the throttle is fixed so the tail should hold better. If you're scared to go into Id1, just adjust your Normal throttles top half of the curve more level. Something like 0,40,60,75,75 If it still blows out then maybe you need to go through the mechanical set up.

xokia

the gain is way to high for a DX8 you need to drop that down a DX8 gain is -100 to 0 to 100 anything above 0 is HH mode
i have mine down at 28 and it seems fine

I set the gyro down to 30 and tried it out today and that resolved my wag issue. You would think a company that has control over their entire product line would standardize things :( The 68% setting was from my DX6i when I copied things over.

- - - Updated - - -

Whats your throttle curve set to in Normal. If its linear, then the sudden change in throttle and pitch at the same time causes a lot of torque. In Id1 the throttle is fixed so the tail should hold better. If you're scared to go into Id1, just adjust your Normal throttles top half of the curve more level. Something like 0,40,60,75,75 If it still blows out then maybe you need to go through the mechanical set up.

My throttle curve in normal mode is linear, my pitch curve is not. Pitch:45,47,50,75,100
Changing the gyro setting fixed the wag issue but not the tail blow out so I think you were both right.

Flying the little mcpx I think has got me lazy, because the 450 3GX responds so much quicker. I think I need to go brushless on the little mcpx so my response times are quicker. At least I can fly the 450 around now without training gear. I still like the 500 landing gear on the 450 though its like having 4x4 tires on :)

Tony

Staff member
The learning curve from the 6i to the DX8 is not that bad, but there are things like the gyro that you have to get used to. It pretty much gives you more control over the tail. 2x as sensitive if you look at it from a step by step standpoint. Glad you got it fixed though.

heli-maniac

I set the gyro down to 30 and tried it out today and that resolved my wag issue. You would think a company that has control over their entire product line would standardize things :( The 68% setting was from my DX6i when I copied things over.

- - - Updated - - -

My throttle curve in normal mode is linear, my pitch curve is not. Pitch:45,47,50,75,100
Changing the gyro setting fixed the wag issue but not the tail blow out so I think you were both right.

Flying the little mcpx I think has got me lazy, because the 450 3GX responds so much quicker. I think I need to go brushless on the little mcpx so my response times are quicker. At least I can fly the 450 around now without training gear. I still like the 500 landing gear on the 450 though its like having 4x4 tires on :)

glad i could help out

Top Bottom