FBL Gyro 3Gx tail piro slow

Slobberdog

Guys I am having a little issue with my tail piro rate, I know I am missing something simple but don't know what.

It's on my 450 dfc 520 tail servo with the 3Gx, rudder travel seems to be ok when not spooled up but when hovering it seems dull in a way and you have to push the stick a long way to get the tail to move and its slow to turn. There's no snap in the movement, it almost feels lethargic.

Redone the dir setup and have all settings correct and 0 delay no expo but the software won't allow me to use the piro acceleration function it's greyed out.

Don't know what is this dependant on,

Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Slobberdog

Well it update time,

I will be doing lines and writing out I am a muppet 100 times,

At some point I have adjusted the rudder travel adj on my tx down to 42% don't know when and don't know why, oh and don't know what for, put it back to 100%,

the only thing now is do I need to do my limit setup in rudder dir again.

Westy

LEGEND
haha... as we chatted a few hours ago ... I would suggest you might have got it mixed up with the Gyro gain?..... anyway, glad you sorted it!

Slobberdog

think it might have been remnants of the old 450 and something that someone has put in there to help me control that better when i first started with it, as i over wrote the model it could have been,

in hindsight it would have been better for me to have deleted it and started again. good bit of warning for all the newbies out there.

Slobberdog

Well after a bit of work I still have the same issue, see my other thread for videos

http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php/9258-My-club-flying-site?p=66316#post66316

Have re done rudder limits and checked other settings,

Well while writing this post I was not convinced with what I was putting down on paper, cyber paper that is, so I went back to the manual and checked the gyro setup, and that funny enough was spot on, then the little demon on my shoulder said *** mon thicko there's something simple you have done wrong, and I think there in lay the answer.

Back to manual, yet again, this time lets go back to the beginning I thought, rudder setup,

Servo 90 degree - check
Ball link 10mm from centre screw - check
Rod 345 mm ish - check
Pitch control arm 90 degrees on tail output shaft - no....... And this I hope is where my problem lies, on my old heli I set up centre by having the blades level when in centre, but on this it states in rate mode have the slider and arm in centre, and when I look at the blades they are pitched, well here's a pic for you to see, so if I am right this will help combat the main torque of the heli.

image.jpg

Well as I adjusted that I then needed to go back and redo my limits again, darn I am good at that now, but hopefully this will teach me a lesson to read things not do what Kev thinks is right.

Will try tomorrow and post results, weather / wind permitting

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Looking at that pitch in teh picture, that is going to give you nose left rudder, you need nose right. You should have just a slight amount of right rudder when flying in rate mode.

Put the helicopter in rate mode and spool it up on the ground. If it's spinning around slowly, adjust the linkage rod and try again until the spin stops at your normal flying head speed.

Remember, after you do these adjustments, you will NEED to redo the rudder endpoint settings.

Tony

Staff member
Just saw your other post where you stated that left piro rate is fine, but right piro rate is slow. Go into your 3GX software and hook the gyro to it. Go over to Rudder Parameters and click on that tab. In there, on the very bottom, there is a slider that says "Anti Torque Compensation". Raise that value up until your right rudder piro rate is where you want it and it feels like the left rudder. Hope this helps.

Slobberdog

Looking at that pitch in teh picture, that is going to give you nose left rudder, you need nose right. You should have just a slight amount of right rudder when flying in rate mode.

Put the helicopter in rate mode and spool it up on the ground. If it's spinning around slowly, adjust the linkage rod and try again until the spin stops at your normal flying head speed.

Remember, after you do these adjustments, you will NEED to redo the rudder endpoint settings.

You were right, thanks Tony. Did need to trim that out, yet another place where the instructions are wrong, so in fact had it set ok before I re read the instructions.

On the other hand I read the blurb on the anti torque compensation, and now I get it, have adjusted that up now to 50 from 20 and will try it again later, its a pain you have to adj on the pc though.......

murankar

Staff member
Check your travel. My gyro instructions explains that the travel limit of the tail can cause different piro rates. Now this is for a normal tail gyro. My Jr gyro says that it is capable of constant piro rates. Again this is based on your travel look limits.

Tony

Staff member
The 3GX works off the basis of degrees per second. You can't adjust any travel or endpoints on the rudder in your Tx as it will mess it up. That is where the option comes in that I posted above. It's just slightly different from a normal gyro.

Slobberdog

Well I spent nearly an hour at the flying site this morning trying to get the piro the same both nose left and nose right, and I succeeded to sort out nothing,

When I go nose left its moves slow when I go nose right its nice and quick, the nose left seems like its crawling around

Well here's a quick video showing you guys

[video=youtube_share;XDuJai_Z6No]http://youtu.be/XDuJai_Z6No[/video]

Nice windy day on the flying field

Tony

Staff member
What version of firmware are you running on the 3GX? And does the software version on your computer match the firmware in your gyro?

Slobberdog

Thanks Tony,

In the 3Gx software I was getting -580 deg/sec and 175 deg/sec.

Looks like this might have been a glitch in my Dx6i, on monitor it would only show it going about 30% one way compared to 100% the other, don't know why, so I took drastic action, and no it was not the big hammer, not yet anyway, lol,

Copied my model to an empty slot, then wrote down all my settings, and reset the model I had bound to my 450.

Then re imputed all my setting after checking to see if the monitor was ok, plugged it in and then looked on the 3Gx software again.

Now I have -580 deg/sec and 510 deg/sec,

Test flight soon, will report back findings, but something tells me I might have this problem licked.

Just would like to know why my tx done that,

Slobberdog

Well I am defo happy to say that I now have fast piro rate both ways now, actually to say I am happy its an understatement, I have been chasing this issue around for a few weeks now.

But anyway here's a quick video of my enjoyment,

[video=youtube_share;GlnDA564ZVs]http://youtu.be/GlnDA564ZVs[/video]

I know its only short, its been a bit windy today

Got to say, this bird is really quite stable, it may be more by luck than judgement but hey ho.

Was tempted by putting an AR7200BX or Icon on her but the 3Gx on her is rock solid so I think I will leave her be,

Tony

Staff member
Go into that copied model and see if any of the endpoints are changed. Remember to move the rudder stick to see both sides of the number. I will bet you have one turned down.

i'm glad that you got it going though. Sometimes, starting over is the key, and in this case, it worked.

The 3GX is a great gyro, you just can't leave it on the ground at speed. It will tip over for some reason and I have not found how to fix it. But I'm looking and will find it. When my head head gets here, I should have all vibrations taken care of and can do more testing. The ikon and bx are great gyros, but the 3GX is just as good, just needs a little more attention. Should be made easier by my videos that I'm going to make.

Slobberdog

Right Tony, Had travel adjust on rudder set at 42 somewhere along the lines this happened, but i thought when i adjusted it back to 100 then it was doing it for both directions,

I had a glitch with this tx and model so it was probably best that i just binned it and started again anyway.

All that fuss over something so simple.

It just foxed me as I had full servo movement on the bench, tail slider would go all the way, strange.......

Top Bottom