FBL Gyro 3GX Story of Frustration to Success

Derek

I just thought I'd share this with the forum. It's a pretty good story, in my opinion, lol.

So...I have a Trex 450 Pro DFC with 3GX. I've recently updated from v3.1 to v5.0. I've heard a lot of good things about v5.0 and only a few people I've heard complain about it. I get the firmware all downloaded, installed, and all that. I go through all the 3GX setup videos (DIR and all). I take the 450 to the flying field and get it off the ground without incident and I'm pretty happy. I start flying around and the tail wags a bit and then starts wagging severely. Ok...set it down and make a gain adjustment. Back in the air, it seems ok, then wag wag wag wag WAG WAG WAG. Now, I'm going to speed the story up because this goes on for the next 4-5 flight attempts. Ugh!!!

Finally, I decide to see the semi-pro at my local hobby shop. He and I have gotten to be pretty good buddies. He's been very helpful and doesn't mind that I come to him and ask for guidance without a store purchase. He starts asking me about "this and that" and it was the third question that he asked that leads to success. He asks me if I have my Gyro set for AUX2 and not GEAR. My reply was, "Well....I think so." ha ha ha. WRONG!!!! In fact, my Gyro was set for GEAR and not AUX2. Since I'm using the 3GX with a DSMX satellite, AUX2 is what does the talking. So...I could make all the changes in the world and since I was using the GEAR, instead of AUX2, no amount of gain adjustment would make a difference at all, lol.

So....we change it to AUX2 and go to the parking lot for a bit of testing....he's gonna fly my 450. He spins the helicopter up and comes off the ground....no wag but there was a lot of drifting. Ok...(speeding the story up a bit again), he has to up my gyro gain in my DX8 all the way up to 85% to get it to wag and then settles on 79.5 for normal mode, 74 for Stunt 1, and 72.5 for Stunt 2. What??? That high???? Really???

Apparently with the new v5.0 firmware, the Rudder Gain (in the 3GX programming) is set pretty high. He tells me to take the helicopter home and hook it up to the programming on my laptop and see what the Rudder Gain is set to in the "Setting Display" menu. Ok, I'll do that. I get home and hook it all up. The Rudder Gain was set to 48%, in the programming. That explains why my DX8 Gyro settings were so high. If I were to take the programming settings down to 0, then that would subtract 48 from my DX8 settings and bring those numbers down into the 30's...where I originally expected them to be.

After all that, I take my 450 to my backyard and spin it up. It's like the heavens were shining down on me and the 450. It's a completely new animal! Very docile and predictable....the way it should be

Derek is a happy camper, once again, lol.

Now...I'm sure that there is going to be at least 1 RCH member, or staff member, that will question me as to why I didn't post my issue on the forum for help, lol. Honestly, I was really trying to solve this issue on my own and I was going to report back my results and hopefully be able to share a story that I solved on my own, lol. I took my 450 to the semi pro for help because I was buying some parts from him anyway. It was a matter of convenience.

So....for those of you that have read through all this, if anyone that you come across has issues with v5.0 and the helicopter tail....have them double check that their transmitter is set properly and have them check that their Rudder Gain, on the 3GX programming, is set properly.

Top Bottom