General 3gx setup help

xokia

I have a 3GX with Reciever AR6210. I go into DIR mode and push the button once move the stick up push it a 3rd time move the stick to the right then exit.

But from what I can tell when its centered sticked the swash is way crooked. I would expect the servo arms to be in the middle and they are not. However if I move the arms to the middle they seem physically correct.

- - - Updated - - -

AE3561C2-1FFA-434A-BA82-3E63BE358C64-32231-00001633D6ED5C84.jpg

Tony

Staff member
Did you go into the DIR settings then use the sub trim on your Tx to adjust the servo arms to 90º to the links? If not, this should be your first step. The adjustment you made in the gyro mentioned above is ONLY to adjust the gyro to your Tx's full stick travel, or endpoints.

xokia

Hi Tony no I did not I did not see this step explained anywhere. I will do that thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

quick question do I need to disable swash mixing? And if I do how do I do that?

Tony

Staff member
Actually you need Swash Mixing. 120º 3 servo swash is what you want. As for the arms, take the screws out of them (make sure your sub trim is at 0) and try to manually set them to 90º to the links first. Then you will fine tune the arms with sub trim.

One thing I forgot to mention is do this at mid stick. Make sure to unplug two of your motor wires. Mid stick should be 50% on your pitch curve.

I'm sure you have seen them, but check out my full setup guide for this heli.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL09AA0B3800FCA554

xokia

Yes it's setup as 120 degree ccpm. I saw on the 3gx instructions where it said to disable swash mixing but no setting in the dx6i to do that. I also 90 degreed the arm before installing them on the servos. However one I install power they go to the max opposite direction of each other. I tried doing as you said and adjusting the sub trim setting. However when I adjusted the pitch servo one of the other servos also moved. Maybe I should post a video of my settings so it's easier to understand

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my remote settings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gsecQVu_b4

Here is what my swash does when powered on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAmr1NVgPZw

flysolo

First go in to the servo reverse menu and reverse the individual servos so that they all move the swash in the same direction when moving left stick forward. It does not matter up or down as long they move in the same direction. Then go in to swash menu and adjust tha values so that the swash moves in the right direction. If moving in the wrong direction just put a negative value.

/Niklas

Tony

Staff member
When looking at the heli from the back, you need to reverse the left front servo. Just FYI, this should be your pitch servo that is plugged into Aux1. Front right should be plugged into the aileron servo port and the back servo is the elevator. Do that and let me know what is reversed.

xokia

Ok I reversed the pitch servo. All of my servos where set to normal on my remote. Now when I move the throttle stick up the swash goes up. I have to run to work and I'll work on this some more when I get home. I appreciate all the help guys!!!!!!

xokia

Quick question with both sticks at mid stick where should my servo arms be?

My pitch servo arm is about 80% in the down direction.
My aileron servo is about 95% in the up position.
My elevator servo is about 80% in the down position.

So I will try adjusting the sub trim

Tony

Staff member
As I stated above, make sure you are at mid stick (center position) and the arms should be just like the picture above. Leave your sub trim at 0, take the arms off the servo and get them as close as you can to 90º then use sub trim to finalize getting them to 90º to the links.

Make sure to check yoru aileron and elevator movements. If either is reversed, just go into the swash mix and take whatever one is reversed from +60 to -60. Simple as that.

xokia

Thanks everyone made some good progress today I was center the servo travel then installing at 90 degrees that was my mistake.

I centered the sticks then 90 degreed the elbows. That fixed it. I also had to reverse the aileron and elevation and put the pitch to normal.

My pitch was backwards I was getting negative pitch when I moved the stick forward and positive pitch when I moved it backwards.

I'll need to dial it in with the sub trim now. It's pretty close I get 0 degrees at mid stick on one blade and -2 on the other.

At full throttle I get 11 on one and 12.5 on the other. At 0 throttle I get -13 and -14

Tony

Staff member
Okay there are a few issues here. Check all of your linkages and set them to the factory settings on length. The swash links should all be the same as will all of the links on the head. As for full positive and negative pitch, your swash is too low and the swash links need to be extended. Once you get the servos to 90º, you won't adjust any of the settings in the Tx to adjust your pitch, you will only use the links on the head.

xokia

Ok well that sucks. I'm going to go to the hobby store and see if they make some pliers that pop those links off easier. One of my servos I was not able to get perfectly 90 degreed so the links wont be eactly the same length. It ended up the next notch over.

I have the Align digital pitch guage so that makes life a little easier.

Seems like a lot of work for what I know will be about 20 seconds of excitement then a smash into the ground :)

- - - Updated - - -

Check all of your linkages and set them to the factory settings on length. The swash links should all be the same as will all of the links on the head.

Is a specific length explained anywhere?

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
They do make ball link pliers! In your assembly instructions there should be pictures of all your links with the leanth to make them there!

xokia

Ok guys I believe I have my swash set up correctly. I get 0 at mid stick on both. 12.5 at full stick and -13 at 0 throttle.

Now on to the rudder. I aligned that the best I could by eye balling it. Then I started the helicopter up and moved to mid stick and adjusted the link until it would hold pretty steady and not spin.

I however do have some questions on the 3gx rudder limit setting. I try real hard to barely move the stick until it reaches the max travel. Then do the same for the other direction. It does ok but you can still hear the servo trying to push it past the max travel slightly. So I adjusted this with the travel adjustment in the tx. 55% one direction 40% in the other. This is the part I don't know if it's ok. The instructions have a warning about rudder travel limits lower the 50% will not be registered. I'm not sure if they are referring to the adjustment I made or not.

Tony

Staff member
I kept mine at 100% because everything is done in the gyro, not the Tx. Above you said you couldn't get one of your arms to 90º, this is where you would use sub trim in the Tx. They all have to be 90º at mid stick and all of the swash links HAVE to be even in length for everything to work correctly.

On the rudder, if you can only get it to work with your settings stated above, then see how it goes. But you may want to try again on doing the setup in the gyro. Since Marius has this gyro, he may be able to explain a little better than I can. I no longer own this gyro and have forgot a LOT about it lol.

stokke

What Tony describes about link lengths combined with 90° servos is correct, and this would give you a level swash - in a perfect world.

My personal recommendations regarding 3GX set-up:

This should be done in the 3GX DIR mode (throttle hold engaged).
Center Tx sticks.
If servos are not perfectly 90°, use Tx sub trim.
If you have to apply lots of sub trim, try swapping servo horns around.
A value above 40~50 of sub trim is not optimal. The less sub trim - the better.
At this point servos should be perfectly 90°.

Link lengths should be according to Aligns instructions.
Use a swash level. If you do not have one, use the zip tie trick (not optimal but works - sort of).
Adjust servo link lengths until you get a perfectly level swash.
It shouldn't be necessary to adjust a lot.
E.g. if one link is much higher than the other two, lower IT one turn and raise the OTHER TWO one turn as well.
Reason and logic should be used when doing this.

Your swash should now be perfectly level, with servos at 90° at Tx mid sticks.
Never mess with the sub trim again, as you would have to redo all these steps.

Adjust your pitch link lengths according to Aligns instructions (the links which go from swash to blade grips).
Put on your pitch gauge.
At Tx mid sticks you will want 0° pitch.
If you now have positive or negative pitch, increase or decrease pitch link lengths until you get 0° pitch.
Remember to adjust both links, they should always be the same length.

When you get 0° pitch, you want to check your collective pitch range.
Give full positive pitch on your Tx (left stick up) - check the value.
Give full negative pitch on your Tx (left stick down) - check the value.
These two values should be the same.
E.g. you can have +18° positive, and -18° negative (these numbers vary).
But you may also get +20° positive, and -16° negative (this is often the case).
It's hard to get the exact same value, so a 0.1°~0.9° difference is acceptable.

If you got uneven values you will have to correct.
This is done by raising or lowering the swash mechanically (adjusting swash link lengths).
Raising the swash will compensate for too much negative collective (e.g. you got +16° and -20°).
Lowering the swash will compensate for too much positive collective (e.g. you got +20° and -16°).
Adjust all three swash links one turn at a time (remember A's outside).
When swash is adjusted, you'll need to readjust the blade grips again to achieve 0° at mid sticks.
This process takes time, and needs some good old trial and error the first time.

You should now have 0° pitch at mid sticks, servos 90°.
You should have matching values for positive and negative pitch (e.g. +16° and -16°).
Your head is now perfectly set up.

Next is to decrease or increase collective range. This is done in your Tx "SWASH MENU".
I'll not get into that right now, but it has to be done before completing the 3GX DIR set-up.

____

Tail set-up.
This should be done when you have finished the 3GX DIR set-up.

First go into DIR mode.
With left stick centered, your tail pitch slider should be mechanically centered on it's slider.
If this is not the case, you will have to adjust the tail pitch control rod.
When you've gotten the tail pitch slider centered, exit DIR mode.
There should be NO sub-trim in your Tx rudder settings.
The rudder servo travel should be 100%-100% (default).
No messing with Tx endpoint set-up.

Go into the 3GX tail set-up (hold 3GX button until LED's change).
Scroll through the steps until endpoint set-up.
First apply left rudder until rudder servo starts to bind (buzz), then right rudder slightly until binding seizes.
Hold there until the blinking 3GX lights blinks RED once.
Then immediately rudder right until servo binds, rudder left slightly until binding seizes.
Wait for the blinking light to blink RED once again.
Press 3GX button a couple of times till you exit 3GX rudder set-up.

To confirm rudder is correctly set-up.
Power on bird with throttle hold engaged (bird stationary on work bench or whatever).
Rudder far right, there should be no binding.
Rudder far left, there should be no binding.
If there is binding (buzzing) redo rudder set-up.

This concludes rudder set-up.

- - - Updated - - -

There may be inconsistencies in this write up, as I wrote it right of the bat.

Top Bottom