450 3gx rate mode settings

philvan

I have just finished building a Trex 450L Dominator was setting up the 3gx gryo. I followed Tony’s video
(thank you Tony) on setting the rudder on the 3gx and was wondering about flight mode settings.
Is that the same or similar to setting the D/R - Expo on the transmitter? Would it be easier to set on
the transmitter for easier changes later on the transmitter if & when I get proficient? And if so, what
should I set the rate modes on the 3gx? I have the dir
setups all done and looks good so far. Still a little confused on the gyro part. This is all very new to me.
There are a lot of small but conflicting ideas on the internet, but your site seems to have the best advice.
I am running a single satellite (DSMX) receiver and a Spectrum DX8.

philvan

Thanks a lot, i really appreciate it. I just wasn't sure if I should make the settings in the gyro or the transmitter. Both sounds good. Should be done by tomorrow.
Again thanks and thanks for the great site. Looks I'll be doing a lot of reading here.

Tony

Staff member
You can do them both. I always set mine to what I showed in the video, and then on top of that, I put in 70% DR and +35% Expo into the Tx. This most always made a VERY easy to fly helicopter. Not good for those that want to do 3D, but great for those that are just trying to get into the hobby.

philvan

One more question. Do you have any suggestions for flight mode parameter 1, and rudder parameters? Or should I just leave them where they are.
I have almost no idea what they do.

Tony

Staff member
Without completely confusing you, I'm just going to say leave that one at the factory settings (noted by the red arrows/bars). I have never had an issue with those stock. But if you really want to know, I will see what I can do in getting a video up to help explain them.

philvan

Got the gyro all set now. On a DX8 under Function List, under Gyro, it is presently set to inh. Is this correct?
And what about tail curve?

Tony

Staff member
Change that gyro menu to the gear/gyro switch and set your channel to aux2. First position b (0) set to +45, 1 set to 0 and 2 set to -100. Only fly in position 0, but you can use 1 to bypass the gyro a d 2 to get full rate mode to center the tail before flight.

philvan

Got it. Spooled it up in the driveway last night and worked perfectly (I think).
First time it wanted to spin all over the place, and had the rudder backwards.
Second time it still wanted to spin, but I could control if I threw the sticks to the max.
Went back and checked the gyro again, switched the reverse, then back again. Now it works fine, but don't know why.
Thanks for the advice, will try it at the flying field tomorrow (maiden flight).

Tony

Staff member
What matters is it's working. Make sure to get us some video of the maiden. If videos are like our drug, then maiden flight videos are like crack hahahahaha.

philvan

Had my maiden flight x 2. no crashes. Happy Happy Happy. Did a video but don't know how to upload or what format to useTrex450.jpg
Here's a picture, and thanks again Tony.

Trex450.jpg

Tony

Staff member
OOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, I need that video!!!!!!! lmao.

To upload the video, just upload it to YouTube then post the link here on the forum. You should be able to upload the video directly from the card to YouTube.

Congrats!!!!,

philvan

Tried to upload to youtube, but don't have an account. When I tried to establish an account it refused because I don't have a cell phone.
Maybe I could post it on your site under videos.?.>

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately, I just don't have the space or bandwidth to sustain videos on my server. I'm quite limited in what I can put on here. The more I put on here, the higher my memory goes, the higher my bandwidth is and so on.

Try Vimeo. I didn't know youtube required a cell phone.

Tony

Staff member
That thing was very stable in the air. Congrats on the maiden! And thanks for posting the video.

philvan

Wasn't shakin. I actually felt pretty good, just thought the controls were a bit mushy.
Thanks to 4 months on the simulator, and still learning.

Tony

Staff member
If the controls were a little soft for you, you can either raise the DR 10% or lower the Expo 10% at a time until you find your sweet spot.

philvan

Thanks Tony. I was thinking of that and was about to post a question. Just wasn't sure if I should change the gyro or the transmitter.

Top Bottom