FBL Gyro 3gx question...

cn63bug

So I had a 3gx that I sold to someone a mm month ago. The unit was perfect and had less than 10 flights on it. I flew it one last time before I pulled it from my hell and packed it up to ship. The buyer just sent me a message saying that it isn't working properly and this is what he said... "its not countering the movements, if i move the heli forward it doesn;t counter like it is suppose to, and he has the one and show me how it was done, he also programmed it for and it doesn't work properly"
Not sure what to tell him. I asked him what his setup is, but haven't heard back from him yet. Any thoughts?
His setup is: 500 flybarless, spektrum rec, dx8 no rec, two satellites

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
has he correctly configured the DIR setup?

If it is not working against his movements ... then it must be going the opposite way for sure.

Sounds like not!

he needs to reverse the DIR ELE and AIL gyro directions ...... in the DIR mode.

To find out if he has done any of the DIR setup ..... ask him ...... how many lights are on the 3Gx when trying to set the correct gyro activity .... if his answer is anything other than ....

the DIR and STATUS LIGHTS then he is not doing it right....

I have done a 30 sec vid for you to show him ... haha

DIR on 3gx - YouTube

Last edited:

xokia

So I had a 3gx that I sold to someone a mm month ago. The unit was perfect and had less than 10 flights on it. I flew it one last time before I pulled it from my hell and packed it up to ship. The buyer just sent me a message saying that it isn't working properly and this is what he said... "its not countering the movements, if i move the heli forward it doesn;t counter like it is suppose to, and he has the one and show me how it was done, he also programmed it for and it doesn't work properly"
Not sure what to tell him. I asked him what his setup is, but haven't heard back from him yet. Any thoughts?
His setup is: 500 flybarless, spektrum rec, dx8 no rec, two satellites

I'd ask him what is he expecting the 3GX to do. Newbs kind of expect a coaxial feel to the helicopter. Which isn't what they will get. I had a bad experience on another forum of someone buying my 250 then claiming a bunch of problems later. This is why I always film the unit or heli working as expected before you disassemble and ship. Record any appropriate serial numbers because people like to swap units or swap guts. If possible also get an independent 3rd party to look at it. For helis I take to my local hobbyshop and ask one of the guys there to test fly it. Then ask the buyer a bunch of questions without telling them what you have as far as documentation goes. Usually in the replies they will end up hanging themselves. Selling can suck sometimes because the buyer will sometimes expect an implied warranty that the manufacturer doesnt even offer. With electronics its even worse because they can fry them then claim defective.

In your case I think its just a matter of a newb doesnt know what to expect. So you might try educating them on CP helicopters and what to expect from them.

Westy

LEGEND
yeah ... they are not self levelling systems .... ask him when the heli is armed (WITH 2 MOTOR WIRES DICONNECTED) ... does the swash move against the movement of the heli in both ELE and AIL Directions .... if so ... it is doing as it should .... if possible ... get him to show you a video ;)

+1 to Xokia...... definately not aa SL mode Type of setup ..... as you know too! if we wanted that ... he has 3 options

Buy A coaxial = Cheapest option

Buy an Alien Command or KDS Flymentor (For Flybarred only)

or
Buy an IKON or Helicommand HC3SX (FOR FBL)

In all but the first option ... he will need expert setup to set it up properly ....completely or he definitely will smack it down!

Last edited:

cn63bug

Thanks guys for the great suggestions. I'm going to go for the aile and elev directions first and try from there. It kind of bugs me that he waited a month to let me know that he was having a problem with it. There wasn't anything wrong with it when I shipped it to him. I'm almost thinking that he is angling to have me give him a refund. He hasn't said anything to that effect yet though. I am seriously thinking that it is just a setup issue and nothing more. I would have to think that if there was something wrong with the unit, that he probably wouldn't have any cyclic or tail response.

xokia

Thanks guys for the great suggestions. I'm going to go for the aile and elev directions first and try from there. It kind of bugs me that he waited a month to let me know that he was having a problem with it. There wasn't anything wrong with it when I shipped it to him. I'm almost thinking that he is angling to have me give him a refund. He hasn't said anything to that effect yet though. I am seriously thinking that it is just a setup issue and nothing more. I would have to think that if there was something wrong with the unit, that he probably wouldn't have any cyclic or tail response.
yea I would just ask him some basic questions and try to help him the best you can with information. As far as money back I would say no. This is what I mean by implied warranty. People tend to think the seller warranties this stuff. If this buyer came at the manufacturer of the unit more then likely they would say so sorry. There is to much that can go wrong with electronic equipment that is not in your control.

My sale of my 250 taught me to take extra precations. The nature of this hobby leads to things breaking.

cn63bug

Well, he still hasn't told me which way the swash is tilting, but he is saying that it is moving now, but barely.

And now he tells me that my questions are not helping as he had an "advanced" heli pilot set it up and says there is something wrong with the unit. Thanks again guys for your suggestions. I think I'm dome trying to figure it out for him. I asked him four different times about the swash movement and he wouldn't answer me on it. The way I see it, is if he can't answer questions or try suggestions, I can't try and help him.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Some people you just can't win with. xokia as stated had an issue like this, and I told him to just tell the guy to file with paypal, xokia would win. Sometimes, you just have to cut ties all together. You can't hold their hand and walk them through everything time and again wasting a week of your time. Getting help on a forum is one thing, but hounding someone that sold you something is completely different.

I'm guessing that his pots are turned all the way down and not at 12O'clock like they should be. But, that is just a guess.

cn63bug

Well, told him to check directions in DIR mode and he tells me "Dir setup is only for neutral and travel setup" :ambivalence:

- - - Updated - - -

Some people you just can't win with. xokia as stated had an issue like this, and I told him to just tell the guy to file with paypal, xokia would win. Sometimes, you just have to cut ties all together. You can't hold their hand and walk them through everything time and again wasting a week of your time. Getting help on a forum is one thing, but hounding someone that sold you something is completely different.

I'm guessing that his pots are turned all the way down and not at 12O'clock like they should be. But, that is just a guess.
Yeah, I've thought about this as well. But he doesn't seem to listen to me about trying any suggestions I give him. I asked him to go through the DIR setup again and he told me that you just setup neutral and travel and that's it. Wouldn't tell me the direction that his swash is moving when tilting the heli, so I think I've done about all I can now.

Westy

LEGEND
he is full of it .... do not continue ..... tell him to pay to ship it back .... you will video you pulling it out and setting it up and the heli flying ... and then ask him if he want to pay to have it returned in working condition as it was the first time.

Tony

Staff member
Then tell him that you can no longer help him. People that get defensive when you try to help them think they know it all and it's best to just let them run with it, and drive their helicopter into the ground. You will never be able to help these people sadly. When they come here to this forum, I try to help them, they get defensive so I stop helping. Other members sometimes take over, but I have seen some that have turned EVERY member off on this forum from helping them. Sometimes, you can't win.

send him my video on the 3GX DIR setup. That should shut him up real fast. I'm sure he will call me an idiot though for "hacking out all of the extra functions that are not supposed to be there" hahahahahahahahaha.

Westy

LEGEND
ahehehehhe ... or tell him to call Align to confirm this DIR theory .... and listen to the roar of laughter go across the factory floor! hahahha

- - - Updated - - -

When they come here to this forum, I try to help them, they get defensive so I stop helping. Other members sometimes take over, but I have seen some that have turned EVERY member off on this forum from helping them. Sometimes, you can't win.

Yes ..... I can see one now ...... just chomping at the bit to peeve off everyone ..... I vaguely recall a .... PM received ... re the Said Person .... hahaha .... and it continues as we speak! haha .... well roumour has it LOL

Tony

Staff member
I yelled at the computer when I read the post where he fixed the issue lmao. Or should I say "issues" that he resolved, but we had told him DAYS ago to check. Eh, you can't win them all.

Westy

LEGEND
LMAOAROF......

me too hhahha and still I see the nutty ness persists.... by not following simple instructions/suggestions .... I got tired of being on that hamster wheel and got off..... better hamsters to help, that actually appreciate the assistance....

xokia

he is full of it .... do not continue ..... tell him to pay to ship it back .... you will video you pulling it out and setting it up and the heli flying ... and then ask him if he want to pay to have it returned in working condition as it was the first time.

I wouldn't do that as far as PayPal is concerned they would see that as an agreement for a return. You never know what damage someone could have done electrically. You are only opening yourself up for more problems. You have to do that stuff before you ship.

cn63bug

Yeah, I think I'm done with him. If he contacts me again, I'll be courteous, but just tell him to go through DIR again and just be done.

cn63bug

So, I heard back from this guy today. He asked what can "we" do about this as the unit is obviously defective. The thing I find interesting is that about a week after he got it from me, he placed it for sale with a 500 kit that is marked now as sold... I'm trying to figure out if he's trying to scam me now. May just be a coincidence, but something doesn't smell right.

Top Bottom