General 3GX power on 450L Dominator

Gaylan

I am really new at this. I have a TREX 450DFC Plus and am learning to fly it.
Have been working on my first build of a 450L Dominator (daughter gave it to me for Christmas). I am not sure about the power hook up to the 3GX. I know this is extremely basic but it is not in the manual and I can't find it on line. Battery does not have any terminal plugs nor does the motor controller so I know to place a plug end for these. Unlike the 450Plus, if I am correct, I understand the 3GX on the dominator has to have separate power to it from the battery. No lead came in the kit for this. Do I obtain a separate wiring harness and wire it in parallel into the plug that goes to the motor controller from the battery. For first time builders the directions do not specify this hookup for power to the 3GX--therefore, I realize this to be very basic. Am I missing something?

Derek

Are you using a separate receiver or are you using satellite receivers off of the 3gx?

Either way, I'm sure we can help you out. Tony has done a great set of videos for the 3gx. You can find them here:

Rc-Help - 3GX How-To

Grab some coffee and go through them. None of them are very long but all of them are very informative. I'm sure you'll get some help from the videos.

I wish I could just give you the answers to your questions but I'm also in the process of learning the 3gx gyro on my 450 Pro DFC.

Gaylan

Are you using a separate receiver or are you using satellite receivers off of the 3gx?

Either way, I'm sure we can help you out. Tony has done a great set of videos for the 3gx. You can find them here:

Rc-Help - 3GX How-To

Grab some coffee and go through them. None of them are very long but all of them are very informative. I'm sure you'll get some help from the videos.

I wish I could just give you the answers to your questions but I'm also in the process of learning the 3gx gyro on my 450 Pro DFC.

I looked at the videos and did not see anything about the power hook up from the battery, unless I missed one.
I am using a 6 channel transmitter that came with my 450DFC plus and on the 450L Dominator I am using a Futaba R2008SB receiver in standard hookup.

I see how to hook the receiver up. I am at the basic area of getting battery power to the 3GX.

So far I think all the instructions are assuming this step and are not explaining it. I know it is probably so simple that I am going to have a "duh" moment.

Derek

Oh, ok. To get power to the 3gx, you'll plug the servo lead from the ESC to the "THR" port on the ESC. Then, when you plug your battery in to the esc....you have power to the 3gx

Gaylan

Oh, ok. To get power to the 3gx, you'll plug the servo lead from the ESC to the "THR" port on the ESC. Then, when you plug your battery in to the esc....you have power to the 3gx

Great! I was thinking that was all it was to it. The book confused me, it was saying something about hooking the battery directly to the 3GX in order to properly power the servos...

My 450 DFC plus operates like you said and I thought this would too but, as I said, the book confused me. Thanks.

Derek

This is an "after-thought." I am no "pro" with the 3gx so I may have made a mistake. You said that you are using a Futaba R2008SB receiver. I'm remembering that Tony mentioned, in his videos, something about setting up the wiring for the 3gx using Futaba receivers. Also, I was just looking at the 3gx manual and for Futaba receivers, the setup is a bit different.

I strongly suggest that you watch this video:

Rc-Help - 3GX Setup Guide Part 1 Mounting & Wiring

This should help clear up any errors that I may/may not have said.

Tony

Staff member
The ESC should provide power to the Rx. If you hook up a second power source, you will more than likely burn all of your electronics up.

Top Bottom