450 3gx pot adjustmet, flip and roll rates plz exsplain

Dizzle000

Hey guys so I asked tony if he was going to continue the 3gx vids ,and he said that he was ounces he's back on his feet. so I thought in the mean time I'd ask your guys knowledge on this subject. My questions are what are the pot adjustments used for on the 3gx and how do you go about adjusting them and what would the heli be doing for you to have to adjust them?
Second could someone exsplained flip and roll rates and why and how you are supposed to adjust them to.
Pretty much I'm asking for a complete break down of this if it is possible thanks
Kyle

Tony

Staff member
The two pots are labled Ail and Ele. They are just like yoru rudder gain. The higher you turn them up, the more gain you have. The lower you turn them, the less gain. To adjust them for first flight, hook the gyro up to your computer and set them both to 105. This is a good starting point. If you get some elevator or aileron shake, then lower the pot SLIGHTLY! They are very sensative adn a small movement will result in a large adjustment. It's best to do this on teh computer.

Flip and roll rate is how fast the helicopter is going to flip or roll. The higher the slider, the faster the flip/roll. The lower, the slower. If you are a new pilot, start with about 20 on both the flip and roll. Seems to be a very good setting. if you are ready to actually flip or roll the heli, then move that up to about 50 or so so it will flip faster and you won't have to lose as much altitude.

Hope this helps.

Dizzle000

By elevator or aleron shake the heli will seem like its bou cing up and down or side to side? Is this the toilet owl effect people talk about?

Tony

Staff member
No, toilet bowl effect is caused by low head speed or excessive slop in the linkages. "Shake" will be exactly like tail shake when your gain is too high, but on the elevator or aileron. If you want to know what it looks like, go into a hover and pound the stick on the elevator or aileron adn watch is "nod" or "rock". Then picture it doing it REALLY fast.

Dizzle000

When I go into the 3gx software to change my flip and roll rates down to 20 like you suggested for a beginner now how do I save them? Because I set them at 20 like the pic but when I close down the program before I unplug my heli, then I en up the program them plug my heli back in once its connected I go check the flip and roll rate and it had defaulted back to 50

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg forgot this pic

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
First click on the Read button. Then, after making the changes, click on the Write button. If it says "Write OK", then the settings should be successful.

Dizzle000

Ahhh ok gotch so always click read first when you open up the software befor you make changes than after the changes click write and it saves the info in the 3gx

I also set my Rutter gain in the computer software as well man huge difference in numbers 60 percent on my dx8 is 50 percent on the software.

Also now I see what u men by gently turn the pot knob I mode it a hair worth and it moves big time on the software my I changed them both to 105 like you suggested they were originally way down at like 60. If I notice I get shake and I turn them down a tad what is the opposite affect of not having enough ail elev gain.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry for the spelling mistakes hard to type on my ipad

Tony

Staff member
If your gain is too low, the helicopter will drift all over the place. You want to raise the gain up until you get wag, then you want to lower it down 5-10% and it should be locked in.

As for clicking Read every time, it's not needed, but I do it just to be safe. But you DO have to click Write every time you make a change.

Dizzle000

Quick question tony. I have done a few hovers and am in the works of adjusting the pots slowly going up until I get "shake" should I be adjusting the pots evenly? Or wil aileron shake be different than elev shake? I tarted at ur recommended settin of 105 for both seemed fine .wandered a little ,so I started to turn them both up didn't have my laptop with me so I couldn't do them evenly at the time.

Tony

Staff member
In most cases, they will be different. Very rarely will they be the same, but it can happen. 105 is just the starting point. If it did drift a bit, then adjust one pot at a time until you start to see the shake, then back it down. Remember, a very slight movement on the pot will equal a large adjustment in the program.

Top Bottom