FBL Gyro 3Gx is being a pill

bing44

I'm setting this 3Gx v4.0 up on an EXI450 Pro and some of the problems I'm having aren't covered on YouTube. For instance, all the posters seem to be too busy to address the bind issues with a standard Spectrum 6100. I bypassed the issue by installing two satellites and it bound up (apparently).

1. When I power up all is good for about 20 sec. then all the lights start flashing and nothing works.

2. Is the digital/analog and 1520/760 only for the tail or does it affect all the servos?

3. I am using two satellite Rx's and they boot up like you would expect then start flashing.

Who has higher knowledge that can pull me out of the hole?

jim

pvolcko

3) The flashing indicates they are not bound. Did you remove the bind plug after you bound it, before cycling the power? If you left it in then cycled power on the 3GX it likely blew away your prior bind.

2) I don't know about the 3GX specifically, but normally cyclic and tail servos have different Freq and Center pulse settings on the FBL units I've used so far.

1) Don't know. Does this correspond with the sat Rx's flashing starting? Maybe it is due to a bad/lost bind, so it isn't seeing a low throttle input to complete initialization?

Tony

Staff member
3) actually the flashing after they are solid indicates they have lost bind. Make sure your BEC can handle the draw of the servos. Sounds like it's dropping voltage and loosing connection.

2) the settings on the gyro that you specify are for the tail only. There is no way to change the cyclic servos so they need to be digital to play it safe.

1) As with 3, you are losing power to the Rx. What ESC/BEC are you running? I'm sure on a 450 the BEC is built into the ESC.

Slobberdog

I get the flashing if I connect the heli then disconnect and put a new battery in without switching off the TX.

bing44

OK I see I need to clarify some things.

1) I don't mean ALL the lights - I mean the row of green lights below the DIR label on the 3Gx. The Rx lights also flash, but not the bind flash, just slower. I know it is bound properly, because I've done it a million times. In goes the plug, on goes the Rx (powered by BEC), rapid flashing, on goes the Tx with bind button pressed, the Rx flashes slowly, goes off momentarily, then comes on solid. Disconnect the flight battery, remove the bind plug, turn off the Tx. Then on goes the Tx, connect the flight battery, the Rx satellites come on solid, 3Gx lights up with solid Status, Gov. lights, and the servos start hissing, Then the S and G lights go out and the row of lights start flashing on the 3Gx and the satellites start flashing slowly. Could this be caused by a possible mistake setting it up? I wasn't too confident I finished setup correctly.

Tony

Staff member
Correction, you should pull the bind plug before powering down teh 3GX and let it initialize. And if you are getting the reinitialization of the 3GX when it's cycling the servos up and down, then this is 100% a BEC issue. The servos are drawing too much power. I asked above, but will ask again, what ESC are you running? You need at least 5 amps out of your BEC in that ESC. Most cheap ESC's are only 3 amps.

bing44

Correction, you should pull the bind plug before powering down teh 3GX and let it initialize. And if you are getting the reinitialization of the 3GX when it's cycling the servos up and down, then this is 100% a BEC issue. The servos are drawing too much power. I asked above, but will ask again, what ESC are you running? You need at least 5 amps out of your BEC in that ESC. Most cheap ESC's are only 3 amps.

I"m gonna catch it for this but I am running analog servos. The ESC is a Phoenix 36 with built in BEC. I flew it this way with a flybar, so I would think power isn't the issue. I just re bound it and it all went normally. I pulled the bind plug and gave it a few seconds, and the row of green lights started flashing and that was all it did.

Screw it. I'm getting rid of the whole thing. It was a stupid idea to try to go FBL.

murankar

Staff member
Actually if you want an easier setup check out the ar7200bx. Youll enjoy fbl once you get a unit that is more friendly.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Tony

Staff member
The green flashing lights are the 3GX reinitializing. There is a power draw somewhere that is causing the voltage to drop below that which the 3GX requires.

bing44

OK I'm over my hissy fit. :) Thanks to all who have been helping, and I apologize for my sophomoric outburst.

I checked the power output of my internal BEC and it registered 5v. I have however been doing some research on external SBECs and think I'll give one a try. Any suggestions?

At this time I have no plans to change out my analog servos, but if I do can anyone recommend cyclic and tail servos?

Also, would it make a difference setting this up if I don't have the FBL unit connected to the computer?

If after I make these changes and it still isn't initializing I'll post a video of what it's doing.

jim

murankar

Staff member
Align is the popular brand on here. I use Savox which is the maker of the Align servos. I want to try the RJX brand, almost the same cost as the Savox.

Since your still on analog any digital will be an improvement.

As for what I use check my Sig. They are capable of up to 6v and Savox offers a package deal on all 4. Its something like a 10% discount if you get the flight pack.

I also have a bunch of EXI parts sitting around doing nothing. If you want to discuss it further just pm me.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:
Top Bottom