450 3GX Gyro

fallinffast

I'm a newbie looking to purchase a trex-450L Dominator but after reading about 3GX issues I don't know what to do.

What issues?

JD

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, I should have posted in the beginner help!

Tony

Staff member
In most cases, if you use V5.0 you will not have any issues at all. 3.1 doesn't like to be on the ground, and 4.0 has tail issues. There are rare cases of 5.0 having tail issues, but mine is very stable.

If you are worried about it though, get the Dominator without a gyro and get either a BeastX or an Ikon. They are both great gyro's.

Slobberdog

no in this section is ok,

Personally I fly my 250 with the 3gx without any problems, but I do fly it on an older software version, V3.1.

if I was going for a new kit I would go for the super combo kit and have the 3gx removed, can do that in some shops in the uk, and then put an Ar7200Bx fbl controller on it, it will be better for a beginner and that gyro is very good at what it does,

if its a 360 blade size heli your after though, the new KDS chase 360 range look very nice, but will come out a little more expensive as you put your own electrics in it,

there is such a good choice out there now that I would have to have a look around,

Tony

Staff member
Hey, look in the classifieds section of the forum. There is a Warp 360 for sale in there that Gaba is selling. It's a great helicopter and I wish I could get it for myself. But, no money. It's a hell of a deal.

Derek

As far as the 3gx goes, I use to have version 3.1 on my 450 Pro DFC. It took a bit of getting use to in order to get the helicopter off the ground but once it was in the air, it was SOLID!!! I never did try v4.0, but I've recently updated to v5.0 and I'm loving it! It's solid on the ground, during spool up and spool down, and it's very solid in the air.

fallinffast

Wow...you guys reply fast!

Are these software versions firmware updates or what? I don't really have a problem with updates if they're available(and work). As for the larger heli's being more stable and maybe easier to fly for me I might need to consider the 500's maybe.

I did look at the 360 Warp and it's a good deal but too early for me as I'm just know researching to decide which direction I might need to go before I drop the big$$. I would like to build one though. I know what you're thinking...I'll get all the building I want crashing, lol, but I'm still researching and scratching my head!

Man, you guys are quick with replies. It's nice to know I'll have help. So glad I found you guys.

Thanks, JD

murankar

Staff member
The warp (from what many say ) flies like a 500. Its just that stable in the air and its size is not to far away.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

fallinffast

As far as the 3gx goes, I use to have version 3.1 on my 450 Pro DFC. It took a bit of getting use to in order to get the helicopter off the ground but once it was in the air, it was SOLID!!! I never did try v4.0, but I've recently updated to v5.0 and I'm loving it! It's solid on the ground, during spool up and spool down, and it's very solid in the air.

Derek,

I thought you changed out the 3GX for a diff gyro. I just read 30 pages of your 450 build and decided crap on the 3GX, I don't need this stress. When I drop the $$ for a heli, as a newbie I'll have all the stress I need with the build and flying. I don't need any product problems. Hopefully by researching and asking the right questions I'll make the right choice.

JD

- - - Updated - - -

In most cases, if you use V5.0 you will not have any issues at all. 3.1 doesn't like to be on the ground, and 4.0 has tail issues. There are rare cases of 5.0 having tail issues, but mine is very stable.

If you are worried about it though, get the Dominator without a gyro and get either a BeastX or an Ikon. They are both great gyro's.

Tony,
Where do you get the V5.0 and how difficult is it to install? I would really like to use the 3GX if it would work correctly as your video's would be so easy to follow during my first build.

Slobberdog

As Tony said Gaba has a Warp 360 on the for sale pages of this forum and it's a great heli, the servos alone are the best you can buy for a 450 class heli the tail servo will cost you as much as the 3 Align cyclics and are far superior quality,

I just put the same gyro no my 500 to replace my 3gx, the whole package is a fantastic deal and as Murankar said they are supposed to fly a lot more like a 500 size heli,

By the time you put all the other stuff together it's a hell of a deal.

fallinffast

As Tony said Gaba has a Warp 360 on the for sale pages of this forum and it's a great heli, the servos alone are the best you can buy for a 450 class heli the tail servo will cost you as much as the 3 Align cyclics and are far superior quality,

I just put the same gyro no my 500 to replace my 3gx, the whole package is a fantastic deal and as Murankar said they are supposed to fly a lot more like a 500 size heli,

By the time you put all the other stuff together it's a hell of a deal.

Thanks, I'm considering just that but would really like building one from ground up just to learn, as I like to tinker. But with the case and all the replacement parts I may just need to go that way and build later!

fallinffast

Wow...you guys reply fast!

Are these software versions firmware updates or what? I don't really have a problem with updates if they're available(and work). As for the larger heli's being more stable and maybe easier to fly for me I might need to consider the 500's maybe.

I did look at the 360 Warp and it's a good deal but too early for me as I'm just know researching to decide which direction I might need to go before I drop the big$$. I would like to build one though. I know what you're thinking...I'll get all the building I want crashing, lol, but I'm still researching and scratching my head!

Man, you guys are quick with replies. It's nice to know I'll have help. So glad I found you guys.

Thanks, JD

I found the info on the firmware updates. I should have dug deeper on this forum before asking!

Slobberdog

All things being equal the 500 would be an easier platform to learn on as it is more stable, but all things are not equal, the 450 is cheaper to buy and repair than the 500, but you do get a significantly larger heli with the 500, I have both and the 450 is much more squirrelly than the 500, if I had the chance of buying the 500 when I bought the 450 I think I would have,

But you have to bare in mind that you will need a capable 6s battery charger for both the heli's you have your eye on, and what radio are you thinking of using,

If money is not a big issue then go for the bigger heli, but do bare in mind the bigger they get the more they become intimidating, if there is somewhere close to you that you could go and see these heli's flying I would defiantly think it would be worth a trip,

Tony

Staff member
Yup, the 3GX firmware downloads as well as all the help you could want are all located at the link below. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, fell asleep at 0700. But woke up at 1100 and ready to rock and roll again today. More building a new forum, have to cultivate the garden, fertilize, cultivate some more, spray for bugs, back to working on the forum, it's a viscous cycle lol.

The 3GX can be a great gyro, you just have to know how to set it up. There will be trial and error. I HIGHLY suggest you don't get a 500 as your first helicopter and stick with a 450 size. The reason why, most crashes on a 450 are going to run you about $20 + blades. So if you are running Align blades, about $38 a crash. With a 500, a crash is going to set you back about $30 plus blades, so about $60 with Align blades. And you are going to take out the blades in a crash.

The 450 is just cheaper.

I would, if your pockets are deep enough, try to get a beastX or an Ikon gyro. They have beginner modes on them and they are fool proof. Set it up as beginner, and it's rock solid. With the 3GX, you have to tinker with it, and as a new pilot learning EVERYTHING, it can get overwhelming. But, that's not to say it can't be done. It's done all the time on here which is why we are here. All you have to do is ask :biggrin1:

Here is the link to the 3GX section with all of my 3GX videos.
http://www.rc-help.com/content.php/360-3gx-how-to

fallinffast

Yup, the 3GX firmware downloads as well as all the help you could want are all located at the link below. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, fell asleep at 0700. But woke up at 1100 and ready to rock and roll again today. More building a new forum, have to cultivate the garden, fertilize, cultivate some more, spray for bugs, back to working on the forum, it's a viscous cycle lol.

The 3GX can be a great gyro, you just have to know how to set it up. There will be trial and error. I HIGHLY suggest you don't get a 500 as your first helicopter and stick with a 450 size. The reason why, most crashes on a 450 are going to run you about $20 + blades. So if you are running Align blades, about $38 a crash. With a 500, a crash is going to set you back about $30 plus blades, so about $60 with Align blades. And you are going to take out the blades in a crash.

The 450 is just cheaper.

I would, if your pockets are deep enough, try to get a beastX or an Ikon gyro. They have beginner modes on them and they are fool proof. Set it up as beginner, and it's rock solid. With the 3GX, you have to tinker with it, and as a new pilot learning EVERYTHING, it can get overwhelming. But, that's not to say it can't be done. It's done all the time on here which is why we are here. All you have to do is ask :biggrin1:

Here is the link to the 3GX section with all of my 3GX videos.
Rc-Help - 3GX How-To

Well cost is always a consideration, but as for the 450 or 500 my first thoughts are to which would be easier to fly and also repair expense is also a consideration.

Also as for the 3gx and setup, I don't mind the precedure (if it works) and really like learning and tinkering. I am going to look into the beastX and Ikon as you suggested as well.

Thanks, JD

fallinffast

If you will be using a DX8, then the AR7200BX would be perfect for you.

Is the 7200 all I need in reference to receiver and gyro? Do I also need a satellite?

I'm getting a list of things I need if I decide to order a kit.

Thanks, JD

Derek

The AR7200bx is a 7 channel rx with flybarless gyro in one unit. There is no "need" for a satellite but the AR7200bx will also support an additional satellite rx.

fallinffast

Will I also need a ESC and if so do I need something in particular?

- - - Updated - - -

Derek,
I read your 3GX thread..all 30 pages and man you covered all the bases. Hope the V5 pans out. I think I'll play it safe and stay away from 3GX until all the glitches are ironed out. Just one glitch will = crash with me. Lol

Tony

Staff member
I don't think all of the glitches will ever be gone from the 3GX. Get the 7200bx, you will love it once you get it set up. And it's not hard.

As stated, the AR7200BX is a 3 axis gyro as well as an AR7200 Rx all in one. And being a BX (BeastX) Rx means dead stable flying. And unlike the 3GX, you can set this to beginner, and i softens up the controls a LOT. Which means, for a new pilot, stick banging will be absorbed quite well.

And yes, you will need an ESC. If you are going to be flying a 450 size helicopter, I HIGHLY suggest the Align 450MX motor and the 35a Align ESC. They are perfect IMO. It's what I run in my Align 450.

Top Bottom