General 3gx as receiver, telemetry module

Ken Jackson

I have read too much and I am getting confused. It seems simpler to me to use my 3GX as my receiver. I am concerned with the wiring. All the basics make sense. The telemetry module is where I need help. Should the TM1000 be powered from the 3GX or the BEC or directly from the battery. I also have read an independent BEC is better to make sure not to overload the primary BEC.

Also I have read that the TM1000 does not have to be wired to the 3GX to work. What is the difference? If it works not wired to the 3GX data port that seems simpler to me.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am almost regretting converting from my flybar because it was easier and I had it dialed in. Now I have a bird I am nervous about. I do like the looks of the DFC head, it is bad #@*!

I do still have a brand new AR8000 that came with my DX8, if that makes this easier.

Ken

Tony

Staff member
With the DX8, just running two Satellite Rx's is the way to go.

Plug the Rx's into the 3GX. Plug in the Telemetry module into the bind port of the 3GX. Turn on the heli (yes, without the Tx being on, this time ONLY) as you are pushing the bind button on the side of the telemetry module. Push your bind button on your DX8 and turn your Tx on. Make sure you are on the right model. Once the lights on the Satellite Rx's go solid and the DX8 initializes, it's bound. Turn the heli off and then turn the Tx off. Now, turn the Tx on and then the heli and make sure you have solid lights on the rx's and telemetry module. If you do, then your golden and you are ready to setup the 3GX. For that, see my video on setting it up. It will walk you right through the steps.

As always, if there is anything else that we can help you with, just post up. We are always here to help out. And NEVER regret getting the DFC/3GX system! It's a great system that is proven and as long as you take your time on the setup, you will do just fine. It will be even MORE stable than it was with the flybar!

ecruz64

Hey Tony,

I quickly browsed thru the TM1000 and the DX8 manual. There's no reference to using satellites only. Why? Is it something Spektrum does not recommend doing? I was under the impression that you need the TM1000 to be hooked up to a receiver like the AR8000 because the Align 3GX isn't completely compatible with Spektrum telemetry. In order to get flight log, RPM, and temp/volt working correctly you need to go through Spektrum receiver.

Please clarify,

thanks again for all your (and everyone else in the forum) help!!

xokia

Just some things I noticed. When you just run a sattelite with the 3GX it runs in DSM2 not DSMX. Now my remote I believe says 11ms is only for DSMX and digital servos. So you should run 22ms.

Lastly at least on my 3GX the thing would not bind correctly a lot of the time. I would have to keep unplugging and plugging the unit in to reset it. It would eventually bind but that got annoying. I likely wont run a 3GX in the future but if I did I think I would run it with a reciever.

Ken Jackson

I have had no problems like you are describing. My 3GX came version 3.0, maybe that's the difference. They fixed the glitches. I am getting all the telemetry but tell me more about data log. Where would that reside? I have my DX8 set to 11Ms with my 3GX and have never used it any other way. The manual only says not to use 11ms if you are using analog. Does not mention any other reason.

I'm listening to all the negative comments about the 3GX and sorry guys but mine has been perfect so far. Now granted I only have a dozen flights with it but it seems fine to me. Like anything else in this world someone will get the lemon. I will evaluate all the Flybarless controllers on the market when I need to but it just seems silly to me to use a receiver plugged into a Flybarless controller, what happened to Keep It Simple? Also the AR7200bx looks pretty good to me and I haven't heard anything bad about it.

I'm not thrilled that the 3GX binds in DSM2 mode but seriously was anyone struggling using DSM2 before DSMx came out. Didn't think so.

Tony

Staff member
As stated, I'm only using satellites with my 3GX and I have telemetry on the 600. Working okay for now.

xokia

I have my DX8 set to 11Ms with my 3GX and have never used it any other way. The manual only says not to use 11ms if you are using analog. Does not mention any other reason.
Setting a setting in a remote and what it actually links with are two seperate issues. I have no way to confirm this myself either I'll try emailing Spektrum and see what they say. Speculation confuses people so lets see if we can get the facts. I'll report back if they respond.

DSMX adds a layer of interference protection that DSM2 doesnt have. Most consumer products are getting crowded into the 2.4Ghz spektrum. Just about anything and everything runs on 2.4Ghz. So any additional protection I can get is worthwhile to me.

ecruz64

Setting a setting in a remote and what it actually links with are two seperate issues. I have no way to confirm this myself either I'll try emailing Spektrum and see what they say. Speculation confuses people so lets see if we can get the facts. I'll report back if they respond.

DSMX adds a layer of interference protection that DSM2 doesnt have. Most consumer products are getting crowded into the 2.4Ghz spektrum. Just about anything and everything runs on 2.4Ghz. So any additional protection I can get is worthwhile to me.

I was under the impression that DSMX is a worthy investment if your flying in large groups at the same time (ex: competitions). The average flier won't need to worry about interference.

Ken Jackson

I agree with that statement as well but like xokia said any extra protection is worth having. Sure dont want to crash because someone turns on a low jack device to keep track of their kid or something else really weird or unexpected.

Ken

xokia

So I finally heard back and what was told to me via email was that DSM2 will revert to 22ms.
Others are free to ask tech support themselves as everyone knows as well as I do tech support doesn't always mean they know what they are talking about.

Ken Jackson

Interesting. So maybe it does and maybe not. I still find it odd that the 3gx isn't DSMX. But after flying with it a dozen and a half times I certainly don't see any performance problems. The difference between 11ms and 22 ms is so small, I know a human being can not react quick enough to matter.

Thanks for the info.

I will probably go with the AR7200bx if and when I upgrade.

Ken

Top Bottom