450 3GX and Rudder (Tail) Limits setup

EastR84

I am trying to set the end limits on the rudder/tail for my Trex 450 v2 3GX running v.1.2. I press the setup button for 2 seconds to enter tail setup mode, go to the light for LIMIT and then set the left/right inputs from the transmitter making sure that the servo is not binding and leaving a little bit of space so the tail slider doesn't stick. I exit setup mode and enter flight mode and then test the range of rudder movement. Not only does the servo overextend from the limits I just set, but it also "sticks" on the ends and will not recenter without opposite direction stick movement. This could just be because I am on the ground without the blades spinning, but I just wanted to make sure this won't happen in the air. Any ideas? Thanks!

Tony

Staff member
The sticking is HH mode. You gave it an input and it will hold pitch on the blades until the heli moved to the "Heading" you told it to move to. If you put the gyro switch in Rate mode, it will center when you release the rudder stick.

As for setting the end points, I had to do it a few times before it stuck. Stokke may be able to enlighten you on another method that I"m not aware of. If I had mine here, I would do it again just to get a specific way to get it done. But, I don't :(

stokke

Tony's explanation is as good as any :D

As for the limits. You remembered to watch for the blinking lights when doing this?
When you're in end-point set up, you want to move the slider til the end as I understand you've done already. But the slider must sit stationary there until you get a RED blink from the blinking LED's, the RED blink is a confirmation for that the end point has been registered. When you see the RED blink you can move the slider to the opposite end point, then wait for it to blink RED again. When the second RED blink is registered, you can press the 3GX button to continue to the next step of the set-up.

To make sure your end points are set up correctly, you power up the bird as normal then hold hard rudder left - and there shall be no binding (no servo buzz) - same with hard rudder right.

Last edited:

EastR84

Got the tail limits all set, thanks for the help. Now my issue is drifting. I'm only taking off for 10-15 seconds in light/no wind conditions. Every time the heli takes off it drifts to the left. Servos are at 90 deg, swashplate is completely level, blade pitch is 0 degrees at mid-stick --- can't figure out why I have the drift. Any ideas?

Tony

Staff member
Are you talking about the whole heli moving to the left? If so, this is normal and you much counter it with right cyclic after the skids leave the ground. It's best to hover 3"+ to get out of ground effect.

stokke

Also, remember that the bird must sit on the ground when plugging in the battery. Otherwise the bird expects to compensate for what it "thinks" to be wind.

Top Bottom