250 300X - Tail Servo Uograde - Any Suggestions??

I have gone through three tail servos on my 300X - I know its no the best heli out there, but I have hand pretty good luck with it other than the tail servo.

I recently had a crash (due to the ESC going out). I replaced the ESC with the stock 25 amp and now the tail spins out of control. I re set the end points and the servo seems to work fine on TH. but as soon as you start the spool up, the tail spins out of control.

I would like to use the KST DS215MG Metal Digital Mirco Servo, but im not sure if it is to big and heavy.??

Any suggestions on an upgrade tail servo, or will this one work.

Also, anyone know where to order this servo from? ( is it only available overseas) and have to wait 2-3 weeks??

Thanks for any and all help!

Tony

Staff member
I have deleted your other threads in teh news and announcement section. Please only post questions in the correct section, thanks.

for what i understand from your post....I dont think it is your servo that is causing the prob. there are a few things to check
1) is your gyro in normal or reverse?
2) what is your gyro rate/hh set at?
3) and finnally what pitch is your tail blades?

xokia

And as far as your ESC going out what do you mean by that?
Was is completely dead as in non functioning?

Were you using the 4min timer in your transmitter when this occured?
What I found on my 300x is that the ESC doesnt really tell you when you're near LVC. And the thing just kinda shuts power off abruptly when it hits LVC. Which was about 6min off flight time, so if you're using your timer then this shouldnt be an issue.

Lee

I agree with Nitro. Check your gyro set up using my simple instructions at the bottom of this post Basic Gyro Setup. If it is the servo and you want to get the KST, they are available in the UK if thats any quicker for you, at Fast Lads. Or another really good servo is the Savox SH-0257MG I use these on my 450s.

I agree with Nitro. Check your gyro set up using my simple instructions at the bottom of this post Basic Gyro Setup. If it is the servo and you want to get the KST, they are available in the UK if thats any quicker for you, at Fast Lads. Or another really good servo is the Savox SH-0257MG I use these on my 450s.

Ok, I got the Savox 0257's for the cyclic and the 0252 for the tail. Went throught the entire beast x set up. The bird is flying better than ever with the exception of one thing.

TAIL WAG!! and I cant get rid of it.

Im using the DX6I and I got the Gyro at 65% - (best setting I can come up with)

The wag is not terribly bad but annoying - I turned down dial 3 just under 50%, these are the best settings I can come up with.

Any sugestions on how to get rid of the anoying tail wag??

Tony

Staff member
You may have to lower your gain from 65% to about 57%. But do it in increments of 2 until you find that sweet spot. Remember to test in idle up as well if you are flying in that setting. The idle up setting will have to be a little lower than normal mode.

Do you mean 0262 for the tail? 0252 doesn't look like the right servo.

I did mean 0262, do I need to just skip down to 57 on the gyro , because I couldnt get it below 64 (tail drifting bad) and that was as low as I went. I didnt try to go below 64.

Lee

Whats your ball link position from centre in millimetres? Same as stock?. You could try moving it in one hole closer to centre. This will dampen the sensitivity of the servo and allow you to up the gain in the TX. You would have to reset the end points though.

- - - Updated - - -

I would return the 3rd pot to centre as this isn't for tail wag issues. This is for how the tail stops hard stop or soft stop. Once you get rid of the wag, then you can adjust this if necessary.

Tony

Staff member
If it's drifting, try adjusting the tail linkage rod (if you can) to get the drift out of it. From there, you can try to lower the gain, or as Lee suggested, move it one hole in, or heat up a wire and make a hole about half way between the two holes for even more adjustment.

Top Bottom