300X Flights

pvolcko

Well, got it half way rebuilt. Realized I don't have a replacement main gear so it'll be a couple days for that to show up. Also don't have replacement foam pad for the 7200bx. But I'll be able to get the rest of it rebuilt and waiting on those items until then.

pvolcko

Flight before the crash, flight 16:

[video=youtube_share;aOtOBshlDY4]http://youtu.be/aOtOBshlDY4[/video]

pvolcko

Rebuilt and will test fly (and probably more) tomorrow. Rebuild wasn't too bad. Forgot to put the 7200bx in before buttoning up the frame halves so had to unscrew the lower part to slip it in. Otherwise no issues. Used the zip tie swash leveling trick this time so setup went a bit quicker. Did a quick blade track inside (50% throttle max) and got things lined up good. Using the blades from the crash. They do not appear damaged except for a bit of a dig on one from rotating into the blade holder. I filled that with a bit of glue. Did some torsion and flex testing on both and nothing was making noise of giving too much, so think we're good on that front.

Check back tomorrow! :)

Ken Jackson

Like the videos, your doing very well. Sorry to here you crashed your 300x. When you hold inverted you have to find that sweet spot as to where to stop. Doing flips and rolls cause us to not be so precise, because you don't have to be. Work on it on the simulator because your there, don't lose your confidence.

Ken

pvolcko

Didn't get the chance to test fly today, unfortunately. Was 30 minutes away from it when my wife to be took a fall on the stairs to the basement. Spent 4 hours in the hospital. Luckily it looks like a severe sprain only, but the day was shot for getting any real work done... or flying. Hopefully tomorrow.

Thanks, Ken. My problem on this inverted attempt was that I was too low. I get a bit panicky when low and in this case, even though I knew exactly when I needed to do and knew how to do it, I felt time pressure due to being too low and got indecisive on to bring it up while inverted or get it flipped right side up and regain control from there...

And it was too early to be trying it with a real heli. As I said, I hadn't done much sim time with inverted hovering or flight yet. I've done probably around 8 hours of sim time since then, with inverted as part of the practice effort. Enough to try half flips at altitude and either maintain flight path or do them in stationary.

We'll see what happens tomorrow. :)

Ken Jackson

Sorry to here about your fiancé. Hope she gets back to health as soon as possible. Might want to take a little break and take care of mama. Man I wouldn't even consider flying if my woman was down, she would shoot me. Lol

Ken

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
I hope your other half will recover soon.

I notice that I've been crashing way more often since my first 3D attempt. LOL

A trick to help you reduce the panic factor is to make inverted your default position when you practice in the sim -- flying around inverted and resting in inverted position after a tic-toc or rainbow attempt. It works for me.

As far as the height. It's a true dilemma. Too high and you can't see well enough to execute precision moves; too low one small mistake and you'll smash your bird on the ground. I think a good compromise would be you standing on the terrace of a building or on top of flat-roofed house. That way the helicopter would be right at your eye level, the perfect position to practice in, and you would still have some room for recovery. But not everyone has access to that.

pvolcko

Thanks for the comments and tips guys. :)

She's healing. Getting around easier today.

Test flight from a bit earlier today:

[video=youtube_share;K4yq0Vzpd3A]http://youtu.be/K4yq0Vzpd3A[/video]

All seems well except for the unexpected pitch (as in frequency/noise) change just after lift off. I'm going to have to listen to some old vids to see if it was happening all the time or not. If anyone's got ideas on what it could be, let me know.

pvolcko

Doh! Just made a flight and saved it about 1 foot off the ground (bit too lazy on applying positive pitch on the completion of a flip). I like to think of it as my first "smack" moment. :) The "Doh!" part? Had the gopro fired up but when I pressed the record button it didn't take. Doh! Hit the button at the end expecting to hear three beeps, but only got one. My heart sank. Great "save" lost to time.

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Yeah that sucks. I'm sure everyone who does video has done that. If you edit your video anyway like I do, start your camera and make sure its recording then get your Heli and radio ready and that won't happen again. Then just edit out the beginning.

Ken

pvolcko

Flight 20 (the one I missed was 21). Getting a bit better with the stationary rolls and flips, if not in form at least in my mind. Which is to say I'm getting less nervous flying them now. Less internal time pressure and/or panic. Starting to watch the heli through the maneuver and apply collective appropriately as a result, instead of treating it purely as a timing thing.

[video=youtube_share;Y4tawlhuy5A]http://youtu.be/Y4tawlhuy5A[/video]

pvolcko

Flight 22 (plus bonus 700e build state footage at the end!)

[video=youtube_share;On6MWHP9CiA]http://youtu.be/On6MWHP9CiA[/video]

pvolcko

And flight 24. Close call with the ground and the garage. I'm having issues with my left side rolls, specifically I think I'm inputting a little bit of forward elevator. Doesn't happen on right rolls. Also having issues with dialing in the right amount of negative collective and at the right time, especially on left rolls. Flips and right rolls seem much better.

Yes, Gaba, the 700 is coming together. It's pretty close. I need to pick up a servo extension for the throttle. Though I'm not a fan of it, I think I will turn the ESC around and have the motor leads coming out the top, to be tucked and tied into the recess under the mounting plate. Need to make sure those three lines are well secured so they aren't moving around or getting hit by linkage. This way the power leads of the ESC will reach the batteries without issue. If they come out the top as shown in the vid then I would need to put some short extensions on them. However, in that configuration it is well positioned for a cap bank if I end up wanting one.

I put the main blades on it last night and got things zeroed out at midstick. Holy crap is thing big. Took some photos of it alone and next to the 550 and 300. Will post them in the build thread. The rotor span is nearly half the width of my theater room. Frikin huge.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Flight 27 at STARS field. Another crash... Should be back up in the air today

[video=youtube_share;Xe5Pqj-LFeA]http://youtu.be/Xe5Pqj-LFeA[/video]

Ken Jackson

Too bad about the crash but your looking better otherwise.

About the rolls, I was having the same problem rolling on a dime so to speak. Try bumping a little positive just before your roll and the heli has a better chance of rolling on its axis and won't drop. If you just roll you will see a slight drop in altitude. The roll on a dime is the coolest looking roll but I struggle with it still. Have good and bad days but try the positive bump it should help.

Just got my bird back together and hover tested, I'll get some pictures up later. I had to replace my frame and I bought a bright orange frame, looks really cool.

Ken

pvolcko

I got it back together and did a quick flight test. Allgood once again, except for a canopy mount that is nearly broken out of the frame that Imissed. Put somee ca around it to try to reinforce it. Will fly it until it breaks off entirely. Going to extend the canopy grommet holes back a bit to give the mounts some relief. Way too tight a fit.

- - - Updated - - -

And saw the thread with the new frame . very cool.

pvolcko

Flights 29 and 30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQZzJJ8kl8Starting to try some longer duration inverted hovering (bad light so didn't do too much of this).
Also starting to do some 1/3 flip with negative collective push outs, rainbows (tail down and aileron), and first attempts on tic-tocs (ail mostly).

No crashes, though I came very close at the end of flight 30 due to running the battery too far down. Ended up having to put it down in the grass, wouldn't make it back to the driveway.

Also, extending the grommet holes in the canopy back helped alleviate the stress on the canopy mounts so hopefully the partially broken off one will last considerably longer now, saving me from having to do a frame half replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:

pvolcko

Wow, been a while since I posted to this thread. Well, here's the latest. First is a post crash test flight. Crash was trying to do half of a half piro flip. Didn't go well and didn't get it on camera. Everything was checking out fine on the repairs, so I, of course, crashed it again...

Flight 41:
[video=youtube_share;XQkqpbP150I]http://youtu.be/XQkqpbP150I[/video]

I repaired after this and flew another flight and then crashed hard into the top of my rear garage, again trying half of a half piro flip. Big repair list on that one. main blades, blade grips, spindle, main shaft, top jesus bolt, set of gears, canopy, canopy stud, swash to grip links, main gear. Battery got seriously scuffed, but it survived. Repaired did a test flight without crashing again.

Then this, flight 43 from today (I'm losing track of my flight numbers on each heli at this point, so I fudge it): first serious half piro flips in real life. I've been siming them for two weeks or so now. I did a set, just the top half of them, with the 550X but wasn't recording at the time. These are the first on video. And toward the end of the flight I did full half piro flips uninterrupted and pulled them off pretty well, I think. You be the judge.

Also get some bonus footage of the DX9 in this one at the end!

Flight 43:
[video=youtube_share;kOqNfHIjddQ]http://youtu.be/kOqNfHIjddQ[/video]

Top Bottom