20 Foot Wingspan "FB Albatross" Maiden Flight Attempt

murankar

Staff member
Its very possible that was an issue, but I think he want it to be more agile for combat. I would have to re watch the videos on it. You could make the ailerons bigger if needed, either by making wider or longer.

One thing I just thought of is the CG with such a big motor. You would probably have to do a cutout in the wing so you could push the motor closer to the nose.

The differential thrust was to add yaw control to the wing without using rudder.

Last edited:

Derek

I already have an idea in mind for the next big project. I should be able to buy the thin plywood and foam sheets next week.

I'm really looking forward to this one!!#

Ken Jackson

Derek your amazing. It was really cool that we met face to face last summer. I love your ingenuity.

Keep on dreaming and building!

ken

Derek

Derek your amazing. It was really cool that we met face to face last summer. I love your ingenuity.

Keep on dreaming and building!

ken

Thanks Ken! I enjoyed talking with you last summer, too. Keep watching for my build threads. I have my next build project in mind and iI should be able to get the building supplies next week. I just need to learn how to make a hot wire cutter and then learn how to use it.

wolfman76

Do you have cutting wire yet Derek? If not Let me know i can send you a couple different sizes of wire. ... and a picture of the hotwire cutting bow I made

Ken Jackson

Re: 20 Foot Wingspan "FB Albatross" Maiden Flight Attempt

My dad made one once out of an old toaster. Plenty of wires, don't remember exactly how he did it but we cut every piece of styrofoam to insulate our gargage walls with 2" foam.

Good luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have cutting wire yet Derek? If not Let me know i can send you a couple different sizes of wire. ... and a picture of the hotwire cutting bow I made

Whats up Kyle. I'm living in Highland now and flying in Griffith Lets get together and fly sometime soon.

Stambo

I made a very rudimentary foam cutter with .6mm wire from my mig welder running off my very old and really heavy duty battery charger.
I wouldn't even attempt it with a modern one.
I could vary the heat with the charger control, worked quite well. I keep meaning to make a proper one.

cml001

Impressive project Derek.. Sorry it did give more promising results. Should try it again! Was that motor enough? What sive motor was it? How much did the bird weigh? Any idea on the cause? I'd sure like to see that beast in the air!

Derek

Impressive project Derek.. Sorry it did give more promising results. Should try it again! Was that motor enough? What sive motor was it? How much did the bird weigh? Any idea on the cause? I'd sure like to see that beast in the air!

Thanks! yeah...it's very disappointing. I've been working on that plane "off and on" for the last two years.

Should I try it again? well...it's not gonna happen, lol. I've already stripped the electronics from the plane and the plane went out with yesterdays trash, lol.

Was the motor enough and what size was the motor? yes...I believe that the motor was enough to get the job done. The motor is a Tacon Bigfoot 160 245kv brushless outrunner. you can find it at HobbyPartz.com - Lowest Price for Arduino/RC Hobby Parts, Digital Servos, Brushless Motors, ESC, LiPo Batteries/Chargers for RC Helicopters, RC Planes, RC Cars, Robots. I think it was around $53 US.

how much did the bird weigh? approx: 23lbs

Any idea on the cause? Actually, I have done a lot of thinking on that. At first I was blaming the steerable tail wheel bracket that I made. After some further thought....as the plane was getting up to speed, the tail lifts from the ground and then the plane erratically bolts to the left. This leads me to believe that I may not have had the two front wheels as "straight" as I thought. Chances are, one (or both) of the wheels was directed to the left. After the tail lifts from the ground, the front wheels (not aligned properly) direct the plane to the "curb of destruction". I should have checked the direction of the front wheels and then rechecked them.

Nonetheless, this chapter of my scratch building has been closed and I'm opening the next chapter. Fortunately, I have all the electronics that I'll need for the next project. Awesome!!!

Top Bottom