Micro 180CFX Msiden and crash

leedude1

might be bling but the cnc ones are nice :_) and not that pricey either, haven't got there yet (although most probably will do the servo saver, or metal gears eventually)

leedude1

View attachment 15029

We got it gentleman thanks for the info, Photscape solution it is.. anyway these canopies are really sweetness let me tell you...Ill post some additional 180 shots another day but for now....gotta fly. Pun Intended. :biggrin1:

Canopies 3.jpg

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Some companies offer free text on the canopies. Fusuno offers this if you buy straight from fusuno. There is one other site that also allows customers to customize their own paint job. I think that sight is heliwow.com

leedude1

Rodney, Sorry I was away for a few. Mathias is correct I ordered them from Canomod actually.

They have a full compliment of canopies and as he mentioned when you order direct they will customize them for you if you like with no extra cost. Honestly, much nicer than I thought.

Change of topic...I'll be getting the metal servo gears for the 180 people.... I wish I could say I flew the hell out of it and stripped em...but I was doing some home renos and accidentally knocked the 180 off my work bench and the 3 foot drop broke some servo gears LOL... sooooo gonna spend the 30$ on the upgrade..I think that's going to be a good spend.

murankar

Staff member
I hope so. I bought a canopy for my MSH Protos Mini from fusuno and the shipping was outrages. $24 canopy and $25 shipping, all for free text. I think heliwow will have my next custom canopy. for now its all stock.

leedude1

Yeah agreed , understand though I didn't order them for the free text, but loved the canopies first off. It is a really nice touch though and if its offered with no additional cost,why not.:biggrin-new:

Look, I totally respect the stock option for the canopies as well as for the upgrades, and I truly believe to each his own... but some things just make me smile and a few extra (well budgeted hobby bucks) , a little bling and my world/day is a better place can never be wrong.:biglaugh:

murankar

Staff member
With m crashing on the 180 i would destroy that thing in about 5 flights. I almost ordered the zeal canopy and boom cover. Glad i didnt yet because the stock canopy cant be repaired. Unfortunately when I ordered the canopy for the Protos I did not look any further when I saw the design. It was an impulse buy and when I added more stuff to the package to justify the shipping the shipping went up exponentially. it was my own doing to order a canopy from Taiwan.

If you can get one locally then you are better off.

leedude1

Gentlemen,

Crashed in the gym about 3 weeks ago (didnt get to TH quick enough either so damaged alot of moving parts) and since then have been trying to get a "bob", nodding up and down of the nose out of the bird.

So far I have replaced:

Feathering shaft
hub and even the main grips
main gear
main shaft

The main motor pinion appears to be running true and would rather not change that (pricey piece)on just an off chance it may be the cause..im running out of options any ideas? :scratchchin:

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Gentlemen,

Crashed in the gym about 3 weeks ago (didnt get to TH quick enough either so damaged alot of moving parts) and since then have been trying to get a "bob", nodding up and down of the nose out of the bird.

So far I have replaced:

Feathering shaft
hub and even the main grips
main gear
main shaft

The main motor pinion appears to be running true and would rather not change that (pricey piece)on just an off chance it may be the cause..im running out of options any ideas? :scratchchin:

Have you checked your linkages? the slightest bend will make that bird bob up and down.

leedude1

I changed them out and it is better although I couldn't notice any bends in the linkages visually. Like said I had hit pretty hard so figured no harm and they surely got tweaked if the main shaft and all the rest got bent out of shape. I put the stock bullet blades on and that seams to have smoothed things out to.. Ill put the straight blades back on see what it does tomorrow night... Its probably because I'm anal about these things and love em the rock solid so even a little bobble keeps me fiddling but I dont want to keep changing things endlessy. I mean its WAY good now but I know its still a little off from where it was and its buggin me because I cant find it...
Thinking the bearings may have been slightly tweaked also from the impact but I think that would be producing a wobble in the head more than the nodding if that was the case.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Take a look at your tail shaft also. That will produce a bobble with any slight bend. I use my cordless drill on high speed to find out if my main and tail shaft are straight. Any slight movement, I put a new one on. These machines we fly are spinning serious RPMs. Balancing the tail blades doesn't hurt either. I've notice if I mix tail blades, even though the same brand or color, they might not be the same pair. If that makes sense. Good luck and keep us posted. I would like to know what did ailed her.

leedude1

You chuck the shafts them selves in the drill? I like that, it makes sense and you get a better view because its really hard to tell at times when on the bird and unless there's a real obvious bend you can barely notice.

I had changed out the tail shaft as well, I didn't mention that but with the crash I toasted the tail servo and when I changed that out I flipped the tail shaft for good measure assuming the worst :hump: . I swapped out the main blade hub because I thought there was more movement there then before, so put the stock one back in as I figured it may have got stretched on impact. The Jesus bolt for the hub itself was definitely bent, and since then it looks much better as I mentioned, almost completely gone with the bullet blades.

I still didn't get a chance to put the straight blades back on and see if were good there, I will post back up when I switch things back and let you know.

Thanks Dog.. like that drill thing...one to remember for sure.:biggrin1:

Smoggie

The 'maiden and crash' title seems to fit, so I wont start a new thread....

I picked up a Blade 180CFX recently second hand but new in the box and unflown. As a rule I don't like micros as experience has taught me that they tend to be tricky and generally more trouble than they are worth, but I got a good deal on this one and just couldn't say no. The maiden flight last weekend was quite eventful. The heli actually flew great right from the get go and I was confident doing my limited aerobatics repertoire straight away. I was just about ready to revise my opinion on micros when without warning a huge dog jumped up on me giving me one hulluva shock and knocking the Tx out of my grip and causing the Blade to crash hard:mad1:

I was flying fast inverted at high headspeed at the time, so despite long grass and soft ground it made a mess of the heli. I needed the following to get it back in shape:
  • Canopy
  • Skids
  • Blades
  • Feathering shaft
  • Main gear
  • Grip control links
  • 2 x servo gears
  • Tail pushrod
  • Tail pitch mechanism
  • Anti rotation bracket

The parts cost me more than I paid for the heli:censored: Some upgrade parts were actually cheaper than the stock Blade parts so I took the opportunity to add a little bling:
180CFX.jpg

So after setting it up I gave it a brief hover in the dark in my back garden and it seems to be flying just fine again. I'm quite looking forward to giving it a decent try out this weekend (weather permitting). I'll keep a keen eye out for out of control giant mutts this time.

Last edited:

trainrider06

Man that's a cool looking bird! But like you said (and this is what I've heard about em) they are not crash friendly, and they are a parts hog in a ding!

murankar

Staff member
Yes they are. These little guys will break you in a heart beat. Mine still needs $90 worth of parts just to get it flying. Don't know what's more expensive a 360 or this thing.

trainrider06

Take a look at your tail shaft also. That will produce a bobble with any slight bend. I use my cordless drill on high speed to find out if my main and tail shaft are straight. Any slight movement, I put a new one on. These machines we fly are spinning serious RPMs. Balancing the tail blades doesn't hurt either. I've notice if I mix tail blades, even though the same brand or color, they might not be the same pair. If that makes sense. Good luck and keep us posted. I would like to know what did ailed her.
As Mike said, great idea about the shaft and drill Ivan! Thank you for the contribution!

Smoggie

I previously had a trex 150, in fact i still have it. That thing is what put me off micros for years. It cost me more in parts and FAR more in time and frustration than any of my 600 and 700 helis. The final straw was when the main 'MRS' control board failed for no good reason, so it sits to this day on the naughty shelf as a warning to keep away from micros.

I'm hoping the 180 might be a lot better. It certainly flies a lot better but by the sound of it they can be a bit frustrating too. One thing I now know is that the 180 (though still somewhat fiddly) is a lot easier to work on. Every microscopic screw on the 150 stripped when you so much as looked at it. I was pleasantly surprised that all the screws on the 180 can be removed with a standard 1.5mm hex wrench.

Last edited:

trainrider06

I like the micros myself, have a v120D02s its a blast to fly, but have to have the Devo to fly it with, the TT tail can be fragile, but I've skittered it across the pavement once or twice and its come away unscathed. I do like the looks of that 180 though! Good looking little heli! And have heard they really do fly pretty awesome!

Top Bottom