Futaba 14SG mapping switches to a Skookum 720BE w/GPS, need help

Dennis H

I am having trouble mapping the SB and SC switches to the AUX 2 and AUX 4 in my Skookum 720 software. I want these switches to control the GPS functions 1 & 2 in the Skookum GPS.

One issue, some areas list the 14SG switches 1-12, and the book refers to them as 2 letter acronyms. Unless all start with "S", then A, B, C, D, etc., unless you are supposed to refer them to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. or S1, S2, S3, S4, etc.,

Not trying to confuse anyone, I am just wanting to map the SB and SC to Aux 2 & 4 in the Skookum GPS Software Control Panel.

I am using the 7008 Futaba receiver linked to the Skookum 720 via 1 SBUS cable. (one cable-Fasttest mode) All functions are working fine, just need to get the switches mapped, and I should be ready for flight testing.

I believe I am close, but not there as of this post.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis H

I got a simple PM from a person who hit the nail on the head. He provided the "missing" link to the puzzle. Everything test out on the bench, but sometime before this Sunday, I will give it a test fly.

Hoping for the best,
Dennis

Tony

Staff member
Can you post the "missing link" so that it could potentially help someone in the future with an issue like this?

Dennis H

Sure Tony, I am still learning the 14SG, but I will do my best explaining the process. The main item is you have to assign a value to each switch function. I will post pictures as well.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis H

Now if I can figure out how to map the "Throttle Hold" switch correctly to the "SH" switch on the transmitter, I would be in good shape. It works, but it's backwards. And it's not as simple as reversing the switch in the transmitter. I have tried several times.

The bad part about it, the "Hold" shows up on the LED screen when you engage the throttle hold, and when you release it, it goes back to normal! But the motor does just the opposite, runs while in Hold Mode, stops when Normal Mode.

HELP !!!!! I thought I had it, but I was mistaken!

Dennis H

OK, problem LOOKS like it's resolved. Tony asked me to post my findings, so here it goes. All I can say is if you have a question, just PM me.

I ended up calling Castle and Futaba.

The issue seems to have been the "Throttle End Points". I changed those settings while Futaba was on the phone, plus reversed the "Throttle, channel 3", which I understand is a normal for Futaba.

Castle was very helpful and advised me to call Futaba, which I did.

Futaba Tech Assistance were very knowledgeable and helpful.

It seems on Futaba Radios, you have to "reverse" channel 3, the throttle channel. Of course, you should have your "Throttle Cut" already set up. Then he had me check my "Endpoint" settings.

The defaults are 135-100/100-135 (I don't have my radio, so it might be 135-100/135-100, I am sure you know what I am referring to). I narrowed these down to 120-100/100-120. This ALLOWED the Castle to engage. The factory Futaba defaults won't let the Castle engage the motor to spool up.

We tripled checked everything, and all seems to be working OK.

As per my conversations with both companies, this is strickly a Futaba issue. I asked why Futaba why they had the settings like this, the answer I receive is these setting are and should be the most common.

I knew it should have been something simple, but I doubt I would have ever figured this out on my own.

I can't wait to field test the Helicopter now.

Dennis

Top Bottom