Micro 130x Trouble out of the box

GregC

I programmed my new DX7s with the param's in the 130x manual. Bound it, and tried to hover. It keeps crashing over to the right at about 35% throttle before it will lift off. I tried to compensate with stick, but no luck. So I unplugged the motor and watched the swash plate when throttling up. Sure enough, the swash tips hard right at about 35%. Funny thing though, when I set the throttle at 50% mid stick and roll the aieleron and elevator around, sometimes it comes back to center (level swash) and sometimes it wont move at all, and sometimes it slowly cranks itself back to the right even though the right stick is centered. Do you think that the heli has a bad board? I have seen videos where they have had to change the sub-trims(dont know what that means yet) to compensate for the bad board. I am a newbie to CP as most of you know, and I am very frustrated with this heli right now, cause I am ready to get with it~! I know it is what I wanted, I just got to get it up. I would love some suggestions. Ye ole hobby shop is over an hour away.

xokia

Can you post a video? CP FBL helicopters wont center themselves so dont expect it to level the swash.
When you start to bring the throttle up slowly tilt the cyclic in the opposite direction that its tilting. You are basically leveling the swash yourself.

Tony

Staff member
Actually they will level the swash, it is just a delayed reaction. Now, I'm basing this off of the 3GX not the AS3X (I think) that the 130x has. The 3GX has a rate mode gyro on the cyclic, not like the tail that is HH mode.

You may have a bad board, but lets do some checking first. First thing is first, make sure your travel adjustments are ALL the same. Everything (again, I think) should be at 100%. This is how it HAS to be on the 3GX. If you are not on 100% on all of them, put them there. Make sure you move the stick to set both travel directions. Meaning, you may be adjusting left aileron without touching the sticks, but you must move the aileron stick to the right to set the other direction. Actually, I may be thinking of the DX6i, but still needs to be mentioned anyway. Make sure you are at 100% on all travel settings.

If then you are out of range on the cyclic or collective, go into your swash plate menu and dial those numbers down to reduce the throw, or up to increase the throw.

You may need to create a new model in the Tx, making sure of ALL of the settings, and rebind it to the heli with the new model. Hope this helps.

xokia

Tony the setup is like the mcpx. It's basically very similar, they give you the configuration to setup. Same AS3X system the mcpx has just a bigger control board.

There really is no training the stick movement like on the 3gx.

Last edited:

Lee

There was one for sale on a UK forum last night. Nearly new with spares and 5 batteries for $100!!!! If only i had the spare cash it would have been mine :(

GregC

Well I tried all of the advice and nothing worked, so I called Horizon direct. They walked me through several checks and decided to send me a new board for the Heli. They seem to think that it may be the gyro.
I switched into idle up mode and the bird did spin up and stayed in place on the floor, but the minute I moved the throttle toward mid stick, it flipped over like a lame duck. So I wait for the part and see. I tried to compensate with left aeleron and had to hard stick to the left just to lift off momentarily.

GregC

Oh yes, learned that habit with my v911.
I hope the new board fixes the problem. I am having to develop the patience of Job! I am definitely not living the american dream of instant gratification, but I sure enough did spend my money.

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
It sounds very much like the problem I had with my Blade mcp x. I simply redid the transmitter set-up completely and rebound the heli and the problem was gone. I never found out the cause. But, who cares? The heli flies. :)

GregC

Howdydo! Horizon sent me a new main board for the 130x. Put it in last night and no more swash creep! Yahoo! Well, let me tell you. When "they" tell you that CP is a different animal from fixed, BELIEVE THEM!
You know what I am talking about! Because you all are "they". But I am not deterred. I get the throttle up in the living room, everything looks good. I lift off and start to hover about a foot off the floor, and suddenly I realize that this thing is pretty! sensitive! I know that the blades are tracking right because they left one beautiful long red whelp across my belly while they proceeded to kick my arse starting from the front side. I will admit to the fact that I was screaming because I was afraid to look down for fear of my kidneys rolling into my pocket. I'm just glad it stayed above the belt line! It would have probably worked its way there but I was running too fast. All the time the wife is not responding because she thinks that I am really having a good time now that it is flying. Go ahead, LYAO. It's so nice to have friends like you all!
So after my adrenaline level was back to normal, I assessed that I had broken a linkage in the tail rotor because the heli went after the table leg when it finished with me. Took it to the shop where I bought it, and after telling them the story, they were glad to help me. We put it back together for $9 and the tech flew it, and then I flew it, and yes, it is still sensative, but to have a man stand next to you and coach you a little is priceless. He tuned my radio down to 75% for me to practice. I'll update you as I progress. Oh, 130x is not the best indoor heli except for hover practice (maybe).

Tony

Staff member
They are evil I tell ya. I fly the mSR over my wifes head and tell her "Don't move or I will put a tangle in your hair that not even Johnson & Johnson can take out" hahaha.

You are right though, having someone standing next to you helping you out is a great asset and you are VERY LUCKY to have one of those LHS's near you. Those are the guys I'm talking about that we need more of in my article "Hobbyshops should support YOU". That is exactly what they did. Props to them.

And yes, 75% on the DR, and I would add about +35% on the expo (depending on your Tx) and that will help tame this beast down. I'm sure Gaba can give you a really good setup baseline, but sounds like you are already there.

Keep it up, Just wish I could get one lol.

xokia

I did mention the 130x would not be a good inside your house flyer. It's definately a Sheetrock shredder. My 130x drew blood from my hand last night. While debugging the tail it would spiral out of control and I'd try to catch the thing before it smashed into the ground. Well I missed and it got me good. Lots of cuss words followed.

Mcpx is a better inside your house flier. And it will still sting when it hits you but it won't draw blood.

Last edited:

GregC

I did mention the 130x would not be a good inside your house flyer. It's definately a Sheetrock shredder. My 130x drew blood from my hand last night. While debugging the tail it would spiral out of control and I'd try to catch the thing before it smashed into the ground. Well I missed and it got me good. Lots of cuss words followed.

Mcpx is a better inside your house flier. And it will still sting when it hits you but it won't draw blood.

U absolutely did mention that. Sorry about the hand. My tummy is preshaved for a surgical procedure if I needed one. I am so surprised that it did not slice me good. The blades being slightly rounded is probably the only thing that saved me, because it was pretty much at full steam. I am still very happy with my choice now that it is behaving right. I wanted something that I would not grow out of any time soon, and I am very sure that this is the case.

xokia

Unless you were in idle up 2 you weren't at full steam yet. So be careful with that little bugger it's got plenty of power.

Top Bottom