Micro 130x change time again

Slobberdog

Well for those that have seen my 130x bling thread, I have decided to go rotary servo on the bird, thanks to the feedback of Jesse (Superbad) who's already done this on his bird,

I have a ton of cash in this bird already and had thought of selling it and getting a Trex 150 DFC but that's got as much issues as the 130x had, so out with the plastic again and got the bits to convert to rotary servos,

The frame is Rakonheli, and on first looking seems pretty darn good, time will tell though,

image.jpg

The servos I plumped for were microheli, feed back says they are a bit fragile in a crash, well let's hope I don't crash, lol

image.jpg

I was going to have a Lynx tail servo on this bird as well but it decided to stop working properly, so for the time being there will be a stock linear in this position, :sad0147:

Will post photos as I build so people will see it from start of transformation to finish

image.jpg

image.jpg

heli-maniac

Copy cat LOL
Your going to love it its easy to work on
Just make sure you center all the servos and install the horns before you put them in the frame

Slobberdog

Well I got to do it tonight, first stripped the Xtreme frame of what I needed,

image.jpg

That was the easy bit, then started the build, little by little,

image.jpg

Then went in those servos, and cos I'm tired I made a mistake, lol I centre the servos at low stick, doh, so they had to come back out, oh man, not to nice a job when all is fitted around it,

image.jpg

On a good note the tail boom is so much easier to clamp in this compared to the Xtreme frame

image.jpg

And here it is almost done,

image.jpg

And the finished bird

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Slobberdog

Thanks Dan, I am getting tired of fiddling with the little screws in these small birds, but I do like having something I can take with me almost anywhere and just put it in the air and fly,

Had a quick hover in the garage just to see if all is working ok, and it feels nice, the cyclic and collective seems less jumpy and I would say smoother,

Will try and get it out and fly but going away on the weekend with the family so not sure when I will get a chance, might take it in to work tomorrow and hope the wind plays fair dinner time,

heli-maniac

Now you need to take it back apart
Mount the ELV. servo in front of that bracket this straitens up the link
On the other 2 servos I used peaces of servo horns and spaced the more to the back then take and twist the link ends and remount them
I know you have it the way the INST say but this will make a better line on the links

cn63bug

I've heard both good and based about his frame. What do you guys think of it versus the microheli and xtreme frames?

heli-maniac

I've heard both good and based about his frame. What do you guys think of it versus the microheli and xtreme frames?

The Rakon frame has more room to work on it over the Xtreme frame
And you cant put rotary servos on a Xtreme frame
As fare as the MH frame I have not owend one looks like its heavier than a rakon frame
Also the rakon frame has a better mounting surfice over the MH frame

Just my 2 cents
I m waiting on the Lynx frame to come out

Slobberdog

Well I just had a 3.5 min flight in the car park here at work, this mod is good, more stable while in hover and less movement while doing piros can go to nose in so easy now, I do have a gear mesh issue (loud with a little vibration) that I have to sort but, I can say that was a good post upgrade maiden.

not tried the MH frame but don't like the area where you put the battery or the 3in1 not enough support for me,

the Xtreme frame is solid but the boom clamp is not good and there is very little room to get in to the front gears.

thanks for the advice Jesse, but cant move the elevator forward as I am using a 10t pinion and there is only a small gap left, and the back servos are not to bad.

Last edited:

cn63bug

Thanks guys for the input. I like the Xtreme frame for it's rigidity and haven't had issue with the boom clamp. My issue with it is the port side servo location is very difficult for me to remove the servo without possibly damaging the servo upon removal. It's happened to me twice now where I've had to repair the servo. That and the difficulty in replacing the "B" gear. I like the looks of the rakon frame based on servo placement and ease of repair. What I'm wondering now is if I get the frame with the stock servo mounts for now, could I get the servo mounts for rotary servos later and they bolt up to the frame? Or are the frames different between the two versions?

Slobberdog

the frame is the same for all configs I think and they do mounting kits for the way you want to use it

- - - Updated - - -

that's one reason I got it as I can convert back to stock servos if I don't get on with the rotarys

Slobberdog

one thing I did find after the battery earlier was my 3in1 board was really cool, its been coming down quite warm lately so that was a surprise, was thinking that it would be taxed a bit more with these rotarys but it got me suprised

- - - Updated - - -

mind you there is more room for airflow I suppose.....

cn63bug

Have you seen the pierced canopies that lynx is putting out for the 130x?
LYNX HELI , LLC
It's pretty cool looking to me, but a little pricey still. But I think it would slick with airbrushing to it ;)

Slobberdog

nope, not got that done, gonna see how it plays out, the way I figure it is they have the correct 3in1 plug on them so they should be plug and play, anyway megamicros on a diff continent to me so makes getting it done quite a bit longer.

Slobberdog

Well here's a short glimpse of the bird in the air, doing what it's best at,

I do like the feel of these servos, they seem more responsive and the heli seems to stop and correct better with cyclic movements,

The gears are still sounding a little raspy but I have gone back to a set of stock gears and they seem to have a little less noise but there's not so much vibe with the noise with the std gears.

Here's a short video, you will see me playing with the cyclic and you will see the quickness of the change of directions,

[video=youtube_share;vSVwmOMGNyA]http://youtu.be/vSVwmOMGNyA[/video]

Top Bottom