General 12 year old Traxxas Rustler

Hey
My son and I were talking last night about Quads and he brought up an idea
of updating an old TRaxxas Rustler I have.
The car only has about 30 hours on it and getting batteries is all most
next to impossible for what it had back in the day.
I will dig it out and open it up to see what's inside so that I can give everyone
a better idea of what I am working with.
But in general would it even be worth upgrading.
By upgrading I mean bringing all of the electronics to today's standards.
Motor, ESC, servo, battery ect.

Tony

Staff member
That is all up to you. You can use a 2S pack to power it. If you want to upgrade the motor and ESC, that is up to you as well. Just make sure the drivetrain can handle it if you do up grade them.

Tony

Staff member
Yup. The stock battery was 7.4 volts. A 2s lipo is 7.2. So it's right there close, even at full charge. And yes, the old NiMh and NiCd batteries would hold more voltage than that as well. I think most ESC's are good for up to 9.6 volts or something, but don't quote me or blame me if you put a 3s on it and release the magic smoke lmao.

Tony

Staff member
Hey, it's my pleasure bro. I believe I have a little 1/12th scale truck on the way from a vendor to do a review on. I think I'm going to till up a part of my yard and put in a little track to run it on for the video. I think that would be a load of fun. If the truck handles the way it should anyway.

Well I changed the battery connection to a JST type and slapped one of my 2s batteries on it and she fired up.
A little squeaky here and there but runs.
I do need to get new tires all of them are dry rotten.

4f1b6064230aff0c97c0c25ad9b22a47.jpg

af98ccc663801b7718f46c1563818cf7.jpg

I pulled gear cover off and she is dry. Should I use graphite instead of rc grease?
Also the squeaky area is the servo for the steering can I lube that too?

Tony

Staff member
the squeaking is more than likely a dry bearing(s). And if they are plastic gears, you don't need to lube them. If they are metal gears, use grease.

Tony

Staff member
No need to lube those gears then.

And that is a mechanical speed controller. my advice, get rid of it as soon as you can! Those things arc and cause all kinds of interference. Looks like you are about to go brushless.

So brushless motor and a esc kind of like a quad but for 4 wheels...I also see that bec looking thing I assume that will go as well with the conversion

Tony

Staff member
Well, you only need one motor and one esc, and no gyro, so not really like a quad. And yes, the new ESC should have a built in bec. I actually have a brushless motor and ESC sitting here looking for a new home, but I think it would be too much power for this truck.

So power...I'm clueless on what motor or esc should go in it lol.
I'm used to spinning props not wheels hehe.
I suppose it's research time again.
Not unless someone can help a brother out...hint hint... [emoji41]
I wouldn't mind fast but I do have a plastic gear to keep intact...and then comes gear ratios and....he I go again bahahahaha [emoji13]

Top Bottom