ESC YEP ESC power up

Serge

Hi,

I bought a YEP 120A ESC for my project.
This thing comes with no instruction at all and I have found nothing on the net neither.
This is kind of bizarre to say the least.

I have not received yet the programming card because it was back order.
I wanted to connect things together just to see if this thing is alive and if I could do some basic unloaded testing.

Does it need to be absolutely programmed to operate at all?
Once powered up with motor connected, nothing happens except a red LED on.
I even send a servo signal on the proper pins and it's dead.

How is it supposed to react under power with no transmitter?

Thanks.

Serge

Here watch this video may help you out
I already seen this video. It does not help.
I don't have a receiver. I need to know to complete logic the ESC is using to operate.

My ESC does not have a BEC. Do I need to send a 5 V on the center pin?

heli-maniac

No do not send power in to the center pin. it powers up from the flight pack .
If you dont have a receiver to hook it to to get the 0 thr input then it will not arm

Serge

No do not send power in to the center pin. it powers up from the flight pack .
If you dont have a receiver to hook it to to get the 0 thr input then it will not arm
A 0 thr input is just a 1 ms pulse width or close. I will try to simulate that signal before to power the ESC.
I will see if it works.

Smoggie

Is it the LV (6S) or HV (14S) version? If it's the HV then it's 'OPTO' (no BEC) so it needs to have 5V supplied on the throttle connection. If it's the LV then it has a BEC so supplies it's own 5V power.

The YEP is a clone of the German YGE speed controller, so if you want instructions use those for the YGE: YGE - Finest Brushless Controller

Serge

Is it the LV (6S) or HV (14S) version? If it's the HV then it's 'OPTO' (no BEC) so it needs to have 5V supplied on the throttle connection. If it's the LV then it has a BEC so supplies it's own 5V power.

The YEP is a clone of the German YGE speed controller, so if you want instructions use those for the YGE: YGE - Finest Brushless Controller

Thanks. My ESC is a HV.
As I said on previous post, I don't have a receiver.
I send a servo command from an arduino. I also ordered a servo tester but will not receive it before a while.
Do you mean that the ESC needs to received a 5 V on the center pin?

Serge

Thanks. My ESC is a HV.
As I said on previous post, I don't have a receiver.
I send a servo command from an arduino. I also ordered a servo tester but will not receive it before a while.
Do you mean that the ESC needs to received a 5 V on the center pin?

Yes, It worked. But it worked so well that my motor snapped and jumped out of the table.
It's completely jammed and useless. Something exploded inside.
Hobbyking told me that it was able to reach 58000 rpm, but this is bulshit. I was not at even at 1/3 the throttle for just a few seconds.
This expensive motor is destroyed. I am mad.

Smoggie

I'm curious as to what you mean by the motor 'snapped'... Did you have it securely attached to some kind out mount? If it was just laying on the table then it was sure to end badly, motors must be securely mounted to something solid. If you didn't mount it securely them I'm afraid it's 'user error', you cant blame the motor or Hobbyking for the ensuing mayhem.

58,000RPm is quite a lot... so what motor and battery combination are you talking about?

Serge

I'm curious as to what you mean by the motor 'snapped'... Did you have it securely attached to some kind out mount? If it was just laying on the table then it was sure to end badly, motors must be securely mounted to something solid. If you didn't mount it securely them I'm afraid it's 'user error', you cant blame the motor or Hobbyking for the ensuing mayhem.

58,000RPm is quite a lot... so what motor and battery combination are you talking about?

I feel that the rotor exploded under the centrifugal force.
I am a mechanical engineer then I have a good amont of intuition about this kind of things.
I was very slowly increasing the throttle, it's not a suddend command change.
Externally, the motor looks perfect, but it's jammed. I will way for instructions from Hobbyking before trying to open it.
After some research I have found another motor which looks like a perfect copy of mine. The other one is rated only 30000 rpm.
This looks strange.

Smoggie

You didn't answer my question though.. Was it bolted down? (hard too see how it could be if it fell off the bench)........ and what motor and battery were you using? It's easier to help if info is provided otherwise it's just guess work.

Brushless motors are simple things, if you pull the can off it should be pretty obvious what went wrong. It might be a magnet come loose as would be quite likely if it fell off the bench onto the floor. If the rotor 'exploded' then surely that would be pretty obvious... no?

murankar

Staff member
I am not sure where ypou are at in this project thatrs allthet. But if your tring to use any esc with this project that requires a low throttle signal then you need to pragmatically need to send a low thottle signal from the arduino. RX or not this will need to happen as long as the esc you are using needs a low signal input.

With arduino you would need to hook the esc up to a digital output pin, then supply power and ground to itl in your program you would have to set that pin to high and then send a signal to it. thats all the info I have.

Top Bottom