450 X# flies again

murankar

Staff member
No I am running 11t right now. I do have a 10 laying around and could swap that out . What's crazy is that with the castle it was running fine on the 11t. Anyhow I'll change out the pinion and see what happened.

murankar

Staff member
Yesturday evening I had to relock tight the main grips on the X3. They were not in a good place, lucky they didnt pop. Reflowed the solder on the esc to motor wires. Ensured the batteries were being plugged in all the way. Messed with gov store and reset that on the hobbywing 60 amp V4. Went out with 3 packs and got 3.5 minutes in the head started slowing down, had 40% battery left. Hot as hell as normal. Registered 170F on the motor. For what ever reason the Scorpion motor does not like the Hobbywing. Thats my only guess on this. All the mechanics are smooth as silk, tail is almost dead nuts perfect. No reason for high amp draws. My only other option right now is to get another UI sensor and see if it is the amps causing the over heat or if it being caused by the electrons not being used. I have used a 3S on this setup and even it heated stuff up.

I have added a 10T pinion and I am flying at 70% throttle. FOr what ever reason the heli does not like anything over 73%. The tail goes nuts at 75% and up. I tryied dropping the gain and nothing seems to help. Back to drawing boards.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Yesturday evening I had to relock tight the main grips on the X3. They were not in a good place, lucky they didnt pop. Reflowed the solder on the esc to motor wires. Ensured the batteries were being plugged in all the way. Messed with gov store and reset that on the hobbywing 60 amp V4. Went out with 3 packs and got 3.5 minutes in the head started slowing down, had 40% battery left. Hot as hell as normal. Registered 170F on the motor. For what ever reason the Scorpion motor does not like the Hobbywing. Thats my only guess on this. All the mechanics are smooth as silk, tail is almost dead nuts perfect. No reason for high amp draws. My only other option right now is to get another UI sensor and see if it is the amps causing the over heat or if it being caused by the electrons not being used. I have used a 3S on this setup and even it heated stuff up.

I have added a 10T pinion and I am flying at 70% throttle. FOr what ever reason the heli does not like anything over 73%. The tail goes nuts at 75% and up. I tryied dropping the gain and nothing seems to help. Back to drawing boards.

Hey URI. I've heard that the Scorpion motor runs hot to begin with. It's not cheap "Scorpion neither" but I purchased the Xnova motor because these motors supposedly runs cooler then the Scorpion. With the X3 using that motor, HW V4 60a ESC and me running 12T motor pinion, I'm getting 4 1/2 minutes out of a flight. 4 minutes using 13T. The motor is very warm but not hot. The electronics are Luke warm. I'm very pleased with the X3 and the 500. 450 on the other hand, has been a pain in the butt lately.

heli-maniac

Are you using set timing or auto timing on the HW esc
Have seen alot of post on motors not liking a set timing with it and auto timing seems to fix it

Smoggie

my larger Scorpions on my Gob 630 and Trex 600 both run really hot, too hot to touch for more than a few seconds even after a pretty easy sports flight. One uses a Castle ESC the other a YGE so it's not an HW ESC issue. The little Scorpion on my Chase 360 that does use a HW ESC actually runs reasonably cool.

Scorpion motors do have a reputation for running hot but they use high temperature magnets and wire so it shouldn't usually be a major problem.

murankar

Staff member
YEs I understand Scorpions run hot. Been flying Scorpion since 2012. The ESC is also getting hot not just the motor. Timing is at 15 degrees, PWM is set to a static 32. All I know is that my Scorpion in the 570 got fairly hot on a PWM setting of 32 was used; so did the ESC. This hard coded PWM setting I think is causing most of the issues.

murankar

Staff member
Oh yeah and I did the latest update on both my escs and the program box. So now I need to go and fly again and see if it helped out.

Smoggie

Uri,

What headspeed are you running at? If may be that the combination of high Kv/voltage/gearing combination and quite low duty cycle (throttle %) is putting both ESC and motor under stress. The 10t pinion should have helped.

It seems very odd that you cant use higher than 73% which maybe points to the headspeed being sky high?.. maybe?

Steve

Top Bottom