General Wobble???

What would cause one to wobble around the main mast in flight? Are the blades to tight? Never seen this before... any advise before I tear down the head?...

Geena

Staff member
Blades too tight, head gain not set properly, head speed too low, gyro tape too soft or lose. There are a lot of variables that can cause head wobble.

I found a bearing on the fly bar is locked up also. I’ll fix that, loosen the blades a little, and try again tomorrow. I’m using a very small Spartan Quark gyro for the tail. It should be ok for that operation correct? I have a new Jr 7703D gyro but no servo. The one that’s installed now operates at 760 modulation and will not work with the 7703D.

Tony

Staff member
this is a flybar helicopter? I'm going to go with head speed too low. That is what happens to me on the old Align SE V2. Anything under 85% and it wobbles.

Thanks guys. Yes, this is a fly bar heli. This is a 90 with an OS 91SZ- H Ringed, LOTS of power. I was at hover power and no where near a high head speed (which is going to take me some time to get used to). I been flying helicopters for almost 30 years but never anything this big, A 50 is the largest I’ve ever had. BOY WHAT A DIFFERENC!

Geena

Staff member
If the engine is running excessively rich, that could cause a slight head wobble too.

Ok. I think a lot of my problem was just caused by a low head speed. I took everything apart and the only thing I could find was a stuck bearing on the fly bar. I’ll hopefully try again tomorrow but all this rain here in North Carolina may just put a stop to that. I’ll post back with an update.

Alright. Wobble is GONE! After flying one more time and landing while holding back pressure on the cyclic made me look in finer detail of all the inner workings of the elevator and aileron mechanics where I found two set screws that is supposed to lock down the elevator on the adjust rod once centered, we’re loose allowing the swash to move forward and backwards regardless of what the servo was telling it to do. It’s by the grace of GOD I didn’t loose control and crash. After that find, I went through the entire mechanics of the heli with the manual in hand and double checked everything. This is a darn near new build with only a gallon or two through it but that was several years ago and I didn’t build it. I just got one heck of a deal in it! I have flown many helis in my days but this thing is SOMETHING ELS!!! I just barely think, “right turn” and BAM, right turn! It’s like the difference between a Cessna 172 and a F-16. One stable and the other 100% unstable but ready to “G” your head off! I cranked up the head speed and it’s now on RAILS. Its the most accurate and sensitive thing I’ve ever flown. I see a hardcore 3D pilot being in love with something like this as if your good and quick enough this thing would just listen, perform and ask NEXT! I almost feel bad as the heli isn’t going to be doing no where near the flying it’s capable of (that’s almost feel bad) but back 10 years ago I could only dream of having such a precise machine cause of the expense. $1500 for just the kit and that was without motor, servos, gyro, and shoot, even main and tail blades we not included. Jr knocked this one out of the park and I feel lucky to own it. I still have a lot of fine tuning to learn as this 140 ccpm is new but that’s why it’s so rock solid. I just wish I had people around me with the knowledge to share as I’m the only one within a hundred miles or more that’s still into these things. I guess they were just to hard for a lot of people is all I can figure but I just fell more in love with em. If anyone has any good reading materials on ccpm, cyclic pitch, and now flybarless setups, I’d like to educate myself; and thanks all for getting me here, to this spot today. Finally, a very rock solid flight from this bird that’s impressed the hell out of me.

Top Bottom