Windows 8, Who Has It?

Westy

LEGEND
Holy crap, I leave you guys alone for 12 hours and ce back to the classic computer war lol.

When I have more time I will put 8 back on it NAND install that shell and give it a shot. Thanks for the info guys.

Lol ..... just put it on a Virtual machine .. then you can simply click shut down virtual machine and you are back to your normal Os

Whirlybird

Tony, when the cats away, the mice play :yikes:

As I stated earlier, I have not taken the plunge at this time, because my extensive research has sent up red flags. I've been around computers since programing on IBM 360's in the early 70's. I was into the early personal computer scene, building single board units before the two Steves came out with theirs. A lot of machine and assembly language under my belt. I jumped at Windows 7 because of good reviews and Vista had many problems. Liking a "good ole desktop" is not an "exaggerated statement" or an "outrageous reason". It's just stating a preference of mine . . . not trying to justify anything. True I have not tried W8, but I have read many who have and don't like it. My son-in-law, for one, was a Windows programmer for 7 years at Microsoft. Due to frustrations with the direction they were going with product and management, he and a buddy jumped ship and started their own company with a single business app for iOS devices. In 5 years they have grown and are doing an awesome business, including support for android devices. Both of these guys were MS die-hards, until they started programming on MACs. The need came to use Windows 8 to produce apps for Windows 8 and Winphone 8. My son-in-law has been using it since it was released to developers . . . his opinion . . . "I hate it!"

Now I will be keeping tabs on Windows 8, and if I see it improve enough to my liking, I'll jump in (unless Apple relinquishes control of their hardware . . . then I might build a MAC clone).

On an interesting note, my buddy Jeff is a senior managing engineer at Intel. He is the primary inventor of the USB buss, was in on PCI express, and was recently given their next supercomputing chip to design. I asked him not too long ago what he uses at home . . . his answer, "a P4 running XP Professional" :)

Last edited:

Whirlybird

Mac invented the windows concept

Actually, it all started at Stanford Research Institute, and then Xerox PARC developed it further as the primary interface for the Xerox Alto computer. Apple picked it up later for their Lisa and then Mac.

Last edited:

Whirlybird

When I have more time I will put 8 back on it NAND install that shell and give it a shot. Thanks for the info guys.

Can't do that with a "NAND" gate Tony :nono: If you input "I will put 8 back" & "install that shell" into a "NAND" gate, you get "nothing" for an output :lol:

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
That is the lovely spell check while driving down a VERY bumpy road on the way to the range this morning lol. Either way, I will give this another test in due time. And Jolly, you are right about the drivers. I was having issues finding some of them.

Tony

Staff member
I'm finally doing it. I'm installing W8 on my lappy and I'm going to give it a fair shake. Right now, it's downloading 805mb worth of updates. Once that is done, I'm sure there will be more. But, the wife purchased a new lappy and it had W8 on it. However, it is a touch screen which makes some things a little easier. But, I think I can make due with my lappy. We will find out.

There is supposed to be an update coming soon that has the start menu on it when you click on desktop. If they can do that, I would love this OS. So far so good.

I also replaced my HDD with an SSHD. That is a hybrid between a HDD and SSD. We will see how that goes as well. At this time, I will have 1.75TB of storage on my lappy. Pretty impressive considering my first lappy was 128GB lmao.

If you have W8, post up and let me know what you think of it. NO, I'm not going to install any hacks. I'm going to give this a fair shake.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I have Windows H8te..lol and my lappy Tony has touch screen to but dont care about it. So much issues at this time i just need to work it out.

RandyDSok

Basically Win8 is Win7 with cleaner code underneath that allows it to run faster and smoother and a bit more security... where MS messed up was having the GUI interface touch screen centric and ignoring their current desktop ( keyboard/mouse centric ) user base. The issue with the GUI can be easily addressed by installing a third party software such as Classic Start Menu which is free or from one of the paid ones that exist. MS is going to address the GUI issue shortly with Win8.1 which, they say, current Win8 users will have a free upgrade to.

As with any OS update... the user still needs to ensure they have compatible drivers for their hardware and that the software they intend to use is also compatible. I've been running Win8 since it was released last October on both my work and home systems and have had no issues that are OS caused. I've also had several customers who either bought new systems from me or elsewhere and once they had the GUI issue addressed... their complaints stopped.

Oh... just remembered one issue I do still have... I have ran XP since it was released as well, I'm still looking for "Add Remove Programs" instead of "Programs and Features" :D

Last edited:

pvolcko

Yeah. I like win8 on a tablet or a touch enabled laptop (that isn't going to be used for much of anything beyond email/web), but for mouse/keyboard driven laptop or desktop use I don't like it much. If it is configured to default to desktop mode with a start button or other app launcher then it is fine. Making it default to metro/touch interface was a big mistake IMO.

I do like the new file copy dialog. :)

And on tablets with it, you need to be careful. If you plan to do anything that needs Flash support you need to get the full Win8 on it, not the RT version which is basically metro style app support only.

Tony

Staff member
Now I remember why I removed this from the lappy. This thing is so old that there are not drivers for many of the items in the computer. I searched for hours last night and couldn't get 50% of the stuff to work. Ended up having to revert. Ah well, I tried. I need to do something because the wife has W8 and when something goes wrong, or she needs help with something, it takes me forever to find anything. Guess I need to put a dual boot on my desktop and play with it that way. Don't want to, but gotta do what I gotta do. Need this lappy working for work without issues.

Top Bottom