Who's Into Saltwater?

Tony

Staff member
Your right about that. Sadly with teh clean tank, other issues came up such as the seals. I knew about the top brace and was and is not a big deal. I just didn't know the other seals were so bad. It's only going to cost me $20 to fix this tank and a few days of cure time as well as a few more to leak test it. All in all, it's still a good tank.

I left the truck with the wife tonight and she is going ot be picking up the new 90g tank tomorrow when she gets off work. we have decided to move the tank (I think lol) to another location that has less traffic. The one thing the fish hate is a lot of traffic right next to the tank.

The rock is coming along nicely. I have not checked any of the levels since last time when the ammonia and nitrite was up, but when I check it tomorrow or friday I should notice those have come down and the nitrates have come up. And nitrates are taken care of with a water change. Eventually I will have a refugium that will suck out the nitrates and phosphates in the water. It will also stabilize the PH of the tank as well.

All in all it's coming along nicely. When I set the 90 up, I may just take some video of how we set it up and the process that is involved. I'm going to first be laying some base rock that is used as the "legs" for the rest of the rock. Once that is placed, I will put the 120lbs of sand in the tank and then finish off the rest of the rock laying and finally fill it up with water again. The rock placement will take the longest since I have a specific way I want the tank to look.

If you can see in that picture above, the over flow is in the left rear corner. I don't like it there unless the tank is in a corner and this is one reason we purchased the 90. I was able to get one with the over flow in the back. It may be offset to the left, but it will not be on the side wall. This will allow me a little easier time getting the rocks how I want them. and with 119.6lbs of rock, i have my work cut out for me.

But you guys are asking this to be done like a build, and I guess it is, so I will see what I can do about making that happen. For those of you that are scared about setting up a saltwater, it's much easier than you think. Just remember, the larger the tank, the more stable it will be. This is the reason we decided to go with a 110 (thought it was a 150 until I calculated, and now going to a 90 for a while lol) with a 20g sump. All in all, I will have over 100g of water in this tank at all times. This will help to keep everything stable and alive.

Just give me time. There is nothing that we can rush on this build. Everything is slow. Once the tank drops the ammonia and nitrite levels and starts to raise the nitrate levels, I know I can add my first two fish to help the tank along with the rest of the cycle. Once that second cycle is done. then it's time to put other things in the tank such as inverts like snails and shrimp to help with cleaning as well as some corals that I have been looking at. But this won't happen any time before next year.

Tony

Staff member
That race won't work, this tank won't ever be finished. Something will always be changing.

Here are some updated photos of the tank that I took just before coming to work. This tank will gain MUCH more color over the next few months while some coralline algae starts to grow and encrust everything.

The picture of the empty tank is my new 90g that everything will be going into this weekend while I reseal the 110g.

IMG_0851.JPGIMG_0854.JPGIMG_0852.JPGIMG_0850.JPGIMG_0855.JPGIMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

IMG_0851.JPG

IMG_0852.JPG

IMG_0853.JPG

IMG_0854.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

Tony

Staff member
Alright, tonight the wife and I got everything out of the 110g and setup the 90g. It took about an hour to place all of the rock, and I even had to put some in the sump because there is not enough room in the tank, but it's done. Well the rock placement is done anyway... For now... Until I get bored with it lmao. Below is a picture of the tank right after filling it back up with water. I have a polishing sock on it to filter out the sand particles and it should be mostly clear by morning. At that time I will be putting the power heads back in the tank, removing the sock and cleaning out the sump.

The wife did pick up some Chaeto today. Chaeto is a macro algae that helps to not only filter the water but it also pulls out nitrates and phosphates. I have a light running on it 24 hours a day but may change that to only light up when the main tank is not lit. Anyway it's getting closer.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Well today was a great day. The tank cleared up nicely and everything looked great with the levels so it was time to add a couple fish to help with teh rest of the cycle. I was just going to get 3-5 Yellow Tail Damsels but they were out of them. Wanting to get something in this tank other than sand blowing around that moved, we decided to get some clown fish. Yes, NEMO!

But wait, there's more! (don't you hate infomercials? lmao). These are actually not "Nemo", Nemo is what is called an Ocellaris Clown, or False Percula. What I have are True Percula Clown Fish. You can tell this by the orange not being as bright, the black not being as straight and defined (meaning the black varies and is not a constant line) and the white stripes are either broken or misshaped. This is the TRUE Clown you will find in the reefs. And that is what we purchased.

I also purchased 10 Astrea snails and 10 (what I thought were) red legged hermit crabs. It turns out they put 6 or so blue legged hermit crabs in there. The blues are more expensive and were not on sale, so I got a hella deal on them. I didn't pick them out, so I'm in the clear here lmao. Don't judge me! :biggrin1:

I know that I shouldn't have, but I had to get one of my old friends back. One of my favorite fish was my old Sail Fin Blenny, also known as the Lawnmower Blenny. If you get hair algae, get this fish, it will mow it down like a lawnmower (hence the name). However I have not gotten my algae bloom yet of brown algae that every new tank gets. But I wanted this fish.

At the store he was eating pretty well and did what he does best, sit there and look at you like your an idiot. So I brought him home, acclimated him to my water and in he went. The dude is losing his mind lol. There is something on the outside of the tank that he wants in teh worst way and he will swim up and down the glass trying to get to it. Put up a white sheet of foam board (yes, I still have some) and he stops. Take it down and there he goes again lmao. I LOVE this fish. However I have not been able to get him to eat yet. This is not a good sign and I may lose him. $20 fish, he better eat lmao.

So that is my update for now. The tank is coming together nicely and as time moves on, I will have even bigger and better fish in there. Just you wait!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
lmao, NOT YET! Just wait until 6 months down the road when all of the coralline algae starts to grow and I start getting some nice corals in it. This will be nothing. By the way, check out my facebook page to see the 1 minute video I did of it. Facebook killed (no, you don't understand, they KILLED) the quality. But it gives you an idea of what it looks and sounds like. Can't wait to get my Blonde Naso Tang!

Tony

Staff member
Too slow and boring for me Frank lol.

Okay here is a little update to how everything is doing and what we have going on. So far all of the inverts (crabs and snails) are doing great and cleaning like crazy. The clowns are best friends and I think we are going to end up with a mated pair which means big money for me. The clowns cost me $50 but if I was to purchase a mated pair that was laying eggs, I could be looking at $250+ for them. And I can sell the fry (baby fish) that they produce for $20 each and with them laying a couple hundred at a time and about 50 surviving, that is a good little profit from my tank. It's all about self supporting lol.

Blenny finally started eating off the rock. I was really worried about him but he is doing pretty good now. We are starting to get algae on the glass and rocks for him to eat, and if it keeps going like this, he will be great.

I think the wife and I are going to go this weekend and get some more fish for the tank. I need to clean out my sump and clean the bubble trap out. It's pretty full. Not of bubbles, but of sand dust that was in teh water after filling it, twice lol. In fact, I'm thinking about removing all mechanical filtration in the sump and let the rock and sand do what it's supposed to do. I think it will be called a "Berlin" style sump.

Now enough about the show tank and onto the first one I got, the 110g. The wife was cleaning the living room and took the tank outside to make more room. I rinsed it out and brought it back inside lmao. I started removing the top trim that was broke adn found that it's going to be a huge pain in the ass to remove. We busted teh trim into about a million pieces because the silicone was holding it so well.

If you remember, there were some bad seals on the tank, but the tank was not leaking. I'm now trying to figure out if I'm going to just reseal the inside, or completely take the tank apart and risk breaking the bottom trim to completely reseal the whole tank. I have never done this before, but it shouldn't be that hard once it's all clean, just heavy.

So as you can see, there is always something to be done with the tank. It's never "done" lmao. I'm also planning out a custom sump that I'm going to build myself that will fill the stand and provide about 20 more gallons of water to the system. I'm also about to redo the plumbing on the tank. Right now it's simple and I'm going to make it more complicated only because I'm bored and want to try something new. I'm thinking about making a forced water feeder. Meaning there will be a valve that you just shut off, open up, put food in it, cap it and open the valve and the food will shoot out the outtakes in teh tank. It's more simple to just put food in the tank, but not near as much fun lol.

Oh yeah, I also have an extra 40lbs of sand sitting in my living room that I don't know what to do with. Maybe I will order one more bag and when the 110g is done, I will setup yet another tank. Then I will have over 250 gallons in my house including the sumps. That would be cool lol.

Whirlybird

I think that's his mom bringing in the bucket. He had no shirt on and the comments talk about a "small child" having the mishap :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
I have a bucket under my tank at all times, or beside the tank. Right now, my 5gal bucket is outside with some sand in it that I need to throw away. Sitting beside my tank however, is a 55 gallon barrel. That's right, if your going to do it, do it BIG lmao.

And URI, WHAT THE HELL MAN LMAO. You calling me fat? I work out. Yup, I "work out" at the base. Not workout, but work out... :lmao:

murankar

Staff member
Just remember if anyone says you need to get in shape, tell them round is a shape!!! :LMAO:

Besides I cant call ya fat I have yet to see you yet.

callsign4223

Staff member
Who's more popular at the party, the guy who brings a six pack or the guy who brings a keg?

Also tony, I'm trying to plant up my 55 to help even out the chemistry. Only got standard fluorescent lights though. What would ur wife suggest for that?

Tony

Staff member
If/when we get our LED's, I have a T5HO system with grown lights that would work great on that tank. One thing you need is a Co2 bottle. It will help you grow your plants.

Top Bottom