700 Which parts will often break in a typical crash?

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
Gents,

I am very close to flying my Align 700 helicopters. I've never flown anything bigger than a 450 before. I'd like to stock up those parts while they're still readily available. I don't have access to a well-stocked LHS and I wish to keep these birds in service as long as I can. Thanks

RMB677

With my 450 I found coming in tail first usually ruins the tail boom, main blades and feathering shaft. Coming in at a side angle results in main blades and usually feathering shaft. Both sometimes require flybar straightening. My worst case was coming in hard on the tail, not with the 450, and breaking the frame in addition to the aforementioned.

Tony

Staff member
Crash kit's should include...

Main Shafts
Feathering shafts
Flybars (if your using one)
Main Blades
Tail blades
Tail boom
Torque Tube or Belt
Tail shaft
TT Gears, Front & Rear
Landing Skids
Full servo and head linkage kit
Tail linkage rod
Canopy Mounts

That should prepare you for any crash. Really hard crashes will result in frame damage which is pretty much a writeoff of the whole heli. Hope this helps.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Tony's list is pretty good.

Remember this bird is heavier so more momentum.. This more damage on impact.

Please remember to hit throttle hold so you can minimize damage. Try flying over soft land.

And practice autos on the sim before you fly a big bird. Believe me .. You'll wanna know a little autorotations

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

helicc16

the Smoothie Pilot
thanks, gentlemen. Fortunately, I've been stocking the right parts. Now I need to add canopy nuts on the shopping list. Talking about crashing, I've lost the count already. The last one was most harrowing. I was afraid it would hurt someone.

Needless to say, I will have to be triply careful when flying the bigger birds. Just I can't stand the thoughts of them hitting anyone.

xokia

I would think with that big of a bird you would want servo gears? Smacking the blades on the ground has got to put some pretty serious stress on the servo gears.

Do the servos generally survive?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I would think with that big of a bird you would want servo gears? Smacking the blades on the ground has got to put some pretty serious stress on the servo gears.

Do the servos generally survive?

Depends

Mine survived like a champ.

If you hit TH on the way down.... The damage is very very well controlled

Even my 600 crashes that have happened. I luckily haven't lost a servo

Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Top Bottom