What would you pick ... JR X9503? Or a DX8 ??

What Radio to choose? and WHY?

• Total voters

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
So given an option.. would you all have me prefer and follow the herd and go with the DX8.. or go to superior quality with no telemetry radio JRX9503?

Both have great features. Both are awesome trusted radios.. DX8 post recall has behaved well. But I cant decide.. I am buying used. Thats all I can afford.. so dont try to talk me into buying new.. its never gonna happen.. lol.. So .. think both radios are new.. same or similar price.. What would you buy ? And WHY?

stokke

The JR looks sick!

It's hard to vote when I've never even seen a X9503 IRL.
The only thing you can kick the JR for is not supporting DSMX - but that shouldn't be a prob.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
X9503 is DSMX supporting :)
the newer ones.. like 8fg and all are DMSS.. but X9503 was dsm2 to begin with and went to DSMX..

Tony

Staff member
Since you are a nitro boy, go with the DX8. You will love the telemetry that it comes with. If you want to wait until I start with the RCH Heli, I will prove to you that telemetry is the way to go with nitro and tuning. It will give you an alarm when it starts to over heat, pack voltage gets low, signal is weak and so on. It's the DX8 all the way with me bro!

Breeze, how the hell can you say get the JR when you OWN the DX8?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Tony

Staff member
JR and Spektrum are pretty much the same thing. JR is more expensive though. and now that JR is going DMSS it's getting even more confusing lmao. But dollar for dollar, you will get more function with the Spektrum line vs the JR line.

And with issues that have come up with 1st gen DX8's, I highly suggest you get a new one. You can get free Rx with them if you wait long enough. That is how I got mine lol. It's only $430 for the DX8 with everything but servos included. Even the Telemetry module with wires are included, which will not be there if you buy used more than likely.

You could have purchased mine when I had it for sale. But you are SOL now hahahahahaha

zenmetsu

Yeah, telemetry would be nice. I am patiently awaiting the day that I can grab a DX8.

Speaking of telemetry, I had a really swell idea to put a digital compass and gyro in a plane and send back artificial horizon and compass data for times when planes go out of visual range. All it needs to do is prevent one crash to be worthwhile. :)

Lee

I love the telemetry on my DX8. Got it set up on my QAV500. You can set different types of alarm so you know whats happening without looking at the radio ( very important when you have goggles on for FPV. I have it set up for Low voltage alarm and Signal strength alarm at the moment.

Lee

Yep, thats what i meant by different alarms. You can set a tone or vibration or both. So you have three variations. I have volts set to tone, Signal set to Tone/Vibe at the moment.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
OK.. Here goes... The plug has been pulled people! Decision was : JR X9503. ..

Now I know the poll here said DX8 71 percent and the 2 people saying JR.. I realized that most people here are all DX8 people.. Means that I will only sort of get a real poll here.. lol

I had to branch out a bit a do some research of my own. I read multiple posts of post recall DX8 causing auto centering on cyclic and all.. But you know what.. lets even just disregard all that..

Came down to this.. Everyone and their dog are buying a DX8.. Its a great radio.. WIth telemetry.. and vibration alarms. It does however have a feel of a normal dx6i with some more padding on it. When I held the JR.. man the feel of it in the hand was of a Quality.. DX8 is really good.. Dont get me wrong. Its got tons of awesome features..

With JR X9503.. what do I miss: Vibration alarm on no activity if I leave it on. And telemetry

While Tony had a good point on the telemetry, I really dont need it. Once I got my engine tuned, there is no point of looking at temps.. It'l be cool for me for the first 3 days, and then it'll just be ignored. I have a LED light on my heli that tells me how much battery I got left. And flying nitro you get used to bringing the bird in every so often to check fuel levels and battery levels.. Its not a hassle. 130 doesnt need that stuff.. lol and 450 I have is not gonna need that either.

What do I bring on the table with a X9503: A whole new radio to the forum. Where I can learn now the programming of JR style software and help people out with that. The newer DMSS radios like 8fg.. 11x and all are similar software. I have read numerous numerous reviews on the JR stuff being lOOOONG lasting and very very reliable from day 1. And I wanna try something new.. Rest assured its Still a DSMX.. Its NOT DMSS.. So my rx's will work perfectly fine. All I need to do is just transfer the settings over and WHOALLA! :D

Its been paid for by the wifey.. and its on its way soon! :D only thing I might want to replace is the battery.. May be put a new one in it just for goodness sakes.. and thats it.. :)

stokke

I think you made the right choice Gaba. Though I didn't vote due to not having any experience with the JR, I wanted you to go for the JR.

Post a review with pics please ;)

Top Bottom