Went Flying Today

Tony

Staff member
I am now a member of the CORCS flying club located in Norman Oklahoma. This is a pretty decent field. I got there a little early, and no one was there so I didn't start flying since I was not an actual member yet. When the president did show up, I paid him, asked about the rules, and threw the mcpx in the air. Holy hell did it show that I had not flown in a while lol. Poor little guy had about 6 crashed in two batteries. The last crash I lost a link, but it was because the battery was so low that it wouldn't pull its self out of an inverted hover. So, that is when I called it quits with that one. I then was talked into flying my FF-22. I was a little leary about this since last time, the battery died in about 2.5 minutes, and was very hot. But hey, maybe I kept it at full throttle the whole time.

So, I tossed the plane into the air (yes, the camera was on it) and it just would not pull up, and crashed. ugh. I stopped recording, and made the nose straight again. Started recording again, this time with more elevator, and off we went. I flew for the first minute at half throttle. Doing some loops, rolls, and hard banked turns. AFter 2.5 minutes of flying, the motors started to slow down. Goodie, here we go again, and I know I was not over working them this time. So, I came down for a picture perfect belly landing in the grass, went over to get it, and tried to shut the camera off. Well, it was already off. It over heated even though it has a LARGE heatsink on the cpu, and was flying about 30mph. I'm done with this camera, it's going in the trash.

So, then they bring out the club trainer. It's a nitro powered, very little dihedral trainer, and it actually flies really well. Because this was my first time there. I had to buddy box it. I hate buddy box lol. But, I said okay, lets to. took off and up we went. as I was flying it trying to get a feel for it, I just rolled it over onto it's lid, then asked the guy if it's okay to fly inverted with it lmao. Yes, I asked after I did it haha. I was wanting to know if I was going to lose fuel haha. But, it did, and I flew a circuit around the field inverted. Nope, no video of this either.

So, all in all, it was a good day out there at the field. I crashed everything I brought out there, but it will fly again. no major damage. Maybe I won't be putting the Edge in the air this coming weekend... I need more practice...

Tony

Staff member
Forgot to add that the 3s 2200mah battery that I had in the FF-22 was puffed up to twice as big as it was. It was puffed so much, that it almost tore the plane in half. So, I need to either get another battery with a higher C rating, or I need to remove one of the motors. I'm thinking I need to remove a motor lol. Then, I will have another motor for another plane hehe. And, I think I have just the plane in mind. It's already built.

Battery voltage was 3.6 volts per cell when I put it on the charger just now.

Paulster2

I am El Taco!
Pictures or it didn't happen :biggrin1:

Sounds like you had a great day ... with or without the crashes. Get those puppies back up in the air and get going!

Tony

Staff member
The jet may be a little hard to get in the air with one edf. Not sure there is enough thrust. Plus, I will have to redo the CG on the plane. Right now, it's a little too nose heavy. So, I can shift the motor back a little to help out, and give more room for air to get into the impeller. I'm going to try and get it fixed up tonight, and hopefully get it flying tomorrow when I go out. I was going to get the F-117 going, but I don't have enough servos. Sadly, I only need two for it lol. I guess I could pull the metal gear servos out of the 450 since I won't be flying that much anymore for a while. I really need to get my thumbs working before I touch that thing again.

So, now that I have finally quit sweating, I will see about making a new plane. Or, just cutting up the one that I have to install a single edf in the center.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
Sounds like you had a good time today! Lol I'm going motorcycle riding tomorrow. Going to check out a model train setup a football field long. Could be interesting. Hmmmm

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Good job Tony!! Good to hear you fly... Didn't get a video so a bit sad.. Lol.. But it's ok... Lol :D

Practice man!!! You'll get there... :lol:

Gaba

Tony

Staff member
I did get some video when I was there by myself just showing off the field, but I need more to make it into a good video. I'm going to try again tomorrow if I can get this plane going again.

Top Bottom