Welding Acrylic

Tony

Staff member
I thought I would do a quick video of how you weld acrylic. Now, this video is in no way shape or form an instructional video or a "How To". Just a look at how it's done. This seam turned out perfect. Just wish I could get them all like that lol.

Welding Acrylic Project Nano - YouTube

Whirlybird

Skidmore Owens &Merrill, a world renown architectural firm, was in a building where I worked in Chicago in the '70s. If I remember, they used straight acetone on their models :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Tony! How about making me an acrylic birfday cake :lmao:

Tony

Staff member
I have not gotten good enough to bend acrylic just yet lmao. And yes, you can use Acetone to do this. It's just not as strong as what I'm using and I need the strength since these are holding water.

Tony

Staff member
Actually, like acetone, the solvent that I use melts the acrylic then evaporating, effectively welding the two pieces together.

wolfman76

i have been watching the show tanked on animal planet and they have been curving acrylic by using a form and heating it to atleast 300 degrees in a oven to get curves.... i could only imagine how much the acrylic they use cost... ATM aquariums is the name of their company they are the worlds #1 tank and aquarium builders in the world they actually built a HUGE lava lamp aquarium that had like 35 moon jellies in it with color changing l.e.d.s under it that made the jellies change colors i think it was like 400 gallons thing was huge... i love that show i wish i could build a tank like they do...
here you go tony this 1 is right up your alley...

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have seen all of their videos. However, they are welding 1"+ acrylic and the process is completely different from the thin stuff that I'm using. If you watch, they will pour a glob of thick solvent, like #16, onto the piece, then lay the top into it. Just the weight of the acrylic is enough to hold it down while it cures. However, I have thought about trying that way of welding out. The only downside is you will have to do a LOT of sanding and polishing with the solvent that will ooze out of the sides.

wolfman76

I have a guy i use to work with that told me all i have to do is call him and give him the measurements of the tank i want to build and he will get me the 1/2" thick acrylic to build it... I am thinking a 100 gallon bowfront tank with measurements of 48"x24"x24".... I have seen a acrylic tank same size with same measurements with stand and good go for 1700... I can get the acrylic needed for dirty cheep if not for fee...

Tony

Staff member
I think the next big tank I get will be something along the lines of 200 gallons, and will be acrylic. Now if I build it or not, that will be another questions all together.

Top Bottom