General Weights Used To Address Cg Issues

BCJ

I have a bunch of fishing sinkers in various sizes / weights. I'm wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't use them to adjust for a CG issue. If they'd be suitable, what ideas do you have for installing them?

Thoughts?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hey BCJ. My self, depending on how much weight, I use quarters, nickels, dimes ect and scotch tape them down.

Fly-n-Low

I had a twin foam plane I had CG issues with. I cut lead tire weights (the flat stick on kind) into slivers and poked them in the nose. Lead is a good choice. As said, glue them down.

Tony

Staff member
I have used batteries before lol. AA batteries, AAA batteries and the like haha.

GrantW

I know I'm very late to the party here, but if you have a hollow nosed model, why not form your lead weight to suit the available space?
I used glad wrap to protect the inner nose surface, then pushed some plasticene tightly into the nose to mould the shape. Then using an ice-cream container (or similar) of wet sand, I forced the moulded shape into the sand. You can melt down any lead you have to hand in an empty tin can on the BBQ - just do this outside with plenty of ventilation and keep your distance. Simply pour the lead when molten into your newly formed sand mould and let it cool, then epoxy it into the nose of the aircraft.

Top Bottom