450 Warp Rebuild

fhu667

Well I crashed my Warp this weekend, and I started putting together a list of parts for it. I'm at about $150 with shipping, and that doesn't include rebuilding 4 servos. The thought crossed my mind to blow an extra 60 bucks, get a Gaui X3 and move all my stuff over. However, the motor won't fit, and I'm not sure about the batteries. I really like that Warp, and I have another one that I fly. I think the worst part about it was busting both the left and right frame. Those add something like $47 to the rebuild. I'm open to suggestions if there are any interesting options.

A final note.... Self level does not work if you don't push the button. :duh:

warp-crash.jpg

warp-crash.jpg

Slobberdog

break it apart and use it for spares for the second warp, if you think its just a tad to much to put out for the replacement parts,

Lee

Dude, you must have piled that in at a hell of a speed to break all that.
Was it onto tarmac?
Try the Fusuno frames, they are cheaper.

fhu667

I had just taken off and made a slow hover to the end of the field and back. Dumb thumbed right into the grass from about 3 feet at about 3 or 4 mph is my guess. Maybe not hitting throttle hold made it worse.

I didn't know Fusano made frames. Thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

I could tell the rest of the story.... I was going to maiden my Goblin that day, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. Gabba maidened it for me, and then I flew it after that. I never felt comfortable about it though.

damhdearg

What size goblin do you have? Id vote for keeping the crashed warp for spares, it looks like the blades are in tact but maybe an illusion lol.
Two helis the same running means double the maintenance.
Use the warp as the beater/learner and move onto the goblin when comfortable.

Lee

I'm amazed with such a slow crash, at the damage. Throttle hold really saves $$$$ in a crash.
Where is The Gabba? Haven't seen him on here or talked to him in months.

fhu667

Gabba is around, but I think they've been working him. He put on a quite impressive flight at the field on Saturday. I really like having both Warps up and running. I figure if I have 2 of them I don't have to have a parts stash! Thanks for pointing out that frame. I'm ordering parts tonight to get it back in the air. Here's a not so impressive video of me and my first flight with the Goblin.

Goblin 700 first day - YouTube

Lee

Nice one mate. She looks smooth.
You got her off the ground pretty sharpish LOL :D The governor hadn't even settle into its rpm.

fhu667

You got her off the ground pretty sharpish LOL :D The governor hadn't even settle into its rpm.

I didn't even notice that until I watched the video. Is that normal for it to spool up and then back down? My Warp doesn't do that.

- - - Updated - - -

The only way that motor wont fit tha Gaui is if its to wide. The X3 is a 3S or 6S setup out of the box just depends on the motor and packs.

Here is the 6S motor for the Gaui. I am only posting this so you can compare your motor to this one.

Scorpion HK-2520-1580KV motor (3.5mm shaft) - Scorpion Power System

It looks like the dimensions of the motor are the same. The pinion is longer and wider, and the X3 motor is more powerful.

http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/motors/hk25/HK_2520_1360/

I feel better about rebuilding since Lee pointed out the Fusuno frames.

- - - Updated - - -

Id vote for keeping the crashed warp for spares, it looks like the blades are in tact but maybe an illusion lol.
Two helis the same running means double the maintenance.
Use the warp as the beater/learner and move onto the goblin when comfortable.

I can't find a crack anywhere on on the blades. They look like they survived. I'm not sure that it's really double the maintenance. I fly one, and then when something happens to it I put it in the hanger and fly the other. I thought I'd try an experiment. Instead of spending a lot of money on stocking spare parts, I thought I'd just buy a second heli instead. I don't have any spare parts at the house, but I have another heli ready to go. In retrospect I guess I could have bought a different model to try, but I really enjoy flying the Warp.

- - - Updated - - -

I repeated some of what I said earlier, and I can't edit yet.....

Lee

Yes my Goblin with the Castle ESC does it too.
The throttle ramps up then settles at the set head speed.
Give it a few seconds on the ground before lift off.

fhu667

Yes my Goblin with the Castle ESC does it too.
The throttle ramps up then settles at the set head speed.
Give it a few seconds on the ground before lift off.

What head speed are you running? When I calculated my drive ratio for the Ikon I counted the teeth on my pinion (22), and in the build document it says use a ratio of 9.3:1 with a 22T pinion.

The manual doesn't list my specific motor, Scorp HK3 4035 500.

fhu667

Time for more venting..... I buried Warp #2 into the ground a couple of weeks ago. I don't know what I've spent on parts, but it feels like a small fortune. The worst part is ordering and waiting for the parts to arrive. Well it might be worse when rebuilding it and finding you don't have enough parts, so then back to the order and wait process! I think if I had it to do over again I would have bought an X3, and used one of the Warps for spare parts. I'm sure this won't be the last crash, so maybe I'll do that next time. I'm not saying the X3 is better, but it might be cheaper to crash. It would be fun to try something different also.

Lee

What head speed are you running? When I calculated my drive ratio for the Ikon I counted the teeth on my pinion (22), and in the build document it says use a ratio of 9.3:1 with a 22T pinion.

The manual doesn't list my specific motor, Scorp HK3 4035 500.

The Goblin 570 is running at 2300 and 2400.

If you are going to get a new 360 size heli, you may want to wait, rumour are rife that SAB will have one out soon. ;)

fhu667

I was just thinking that for what I spent on repairs I could have probably bought the X3 kit. I was close to it anyway. I bet the SAB kit will be priced in the upper end of the scale. However..... It would be cool.

murankar

Staff member
I would wait to see what SAB does. If you cant wait then consider the Warp or X3. Both are well built kits.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

fhu667

I'm not in any hurry until I have another crash. I've already spent the money to rebuild this round of crashes.

Top Bottom