Video Software I Use

Tony

Staff member
I"m sure some of you know, I use Pinnacle Studio HD 14 for all of my video rendering. And it has done me well. I have learned how to use the keys on the keyboard to make editing quite fast. I also have a little tool that is a stand alone item used to edit videos. You can set different macro's for each key to do what you need it to do.

I used to use WMM (Windows Movie Maker), however it just didn't have everything that I wanted. So I decided to get the Pinnacle Studio 14 and have used it for years.

I found myself wanting to upgrade because when you get a video that is over 5 minutes long, you start to get a lot of lag in editing. The rendering is also very slow on HD videos. So I received an offer for Pinnacle Studio 17 Ultimate, and I took it. One of the issues with 14 is you are limited to only two video tracks. In 17 Ultimate, you can have an unlimited number of tracks.

The first issue with 17 was the very slow download from their servers. I'm talking it took, in all, over 20 hours to download about 5GB worth of files. This pissed me off. Whatever. Then I install it on my desktop and I'm seeing some issues. When trying to do my PIP (Picture In Picture) for the logo's, I notice that it has a VERY LOOOOOOONG delay in moving after I input a number. Eh, I think I can live with it. Just do this first thing and it should clear up that issue.

The next issue was rendering. Now don't get me wrong, with my computer, I'm rendering at almost a 1:1 ratio. Right now, I have one rendering that is going faster than a 1:1. It's pretty sweet. 14 would take forever to render. However, not everything is as is seems. The last time I rendered in MP4, half of the video didn't have audio. Now, I"m rendering in H264, or MOV to see if it will work. I'm sure YouTube will like this format even better as well.

So, I"m trying to get everything setup with some new software, but I'm looking to find something even better. What are you using, and what do you suggest? I will keep you updated on how this program is going.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, so I finished rendering this video, and there is still one part of the video that has no audio. But, it was a short clip and I'm just going to leave it. Now, to do another video to see how well that one works...

Admiral

Hi Tony, I started out with Windows Movie Maker at work but found that it ran out of puff with some of the stuff I had to do and looked for a cheap alternative, rather than going high end, I only do 1 or 2 videos a year for work social occasions. I found Wondershare Video Editor and it does everything I need including PIP, it costs about US$45 and renders reasonable fast, not as flash as Adobe but nowhere near the price.

Tony

Staff member
Pinnacle 17 Ultimate cost me less than $100 so I don't see it as being that bad.

I just finished the latest video, and found out that one of the overlays was causing some cracking sounds in the audio. I removed the overlay, created a new track and put it back in, and it seemed to work pretty well. Nothing fancy in this last video, just simple transitions. I already uploaded one video, now I'm uploading the last one. Should be done shortly.

Ken Jackson

Hi Tony, I started out with Windows Movie Maker at work but found that it ran out of puff with some of the stuff I had to do and looked for a cheap alternative, rather than going high end, I only do 1 or 2 videos a year for work social occasions. I found Wondershare Video Editor and it does everything I need including PIP, it costs about US$45 and renders reasonable fast, not as flash as Adobe but nowhere near the price.

I use wondershare Video Editor also. Most of my post are straight out of the camera. I use it more for editing home videos and removing the occasional bad language from my flying videos.

Ken

sarconastic

I am using lightworks. still in the early stages, not sure if I want to upgrade to the pro version though. I like a lot of things, will now more after a few more edits.

HAve you tried adobe premier?

Woody

Top Bottom