Flight Controllers Various Control Boards

murankar

Staff member
flashing the ESC is simply redoing the firmware on them. The USBASP is what does the reflashing of the code. As for the which esc to use, from what I have seen most use the standard plush hobbyking esc and reflash it to better firmware.

Derek

I'm sure that a multi rotor will fly just fine without being flashed....or am I wrong?

Lee

It just makes for a smoother faster throttle response. Not absolutely necessary, but if you are going to buy ESCs for a quad, you may as well by the ready flashed ones unless you want to do it yourself.

Derek

already flashed esc's? how would I know which one's are already flashed?

ya know..i love this site....i'm always learning something!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, I take that back....I just Google'd "Afro ESC" and I was directed to Hobby King. I just learned that these esc's are already flashed with the above mentioned SimonK Firmware. Then I scrolled down a bit and I see that they really aren't unreasonably priced. Outstanding!!!

Last edited:

Stambo

When you order your parts, perhaps some LEDs might be a thought also.
Night flying these things is good fun and adds a whole new dimension to your flying.

Don't know if you have seen this but hey just a thought. :)

murankar

Staff member
If your looking at hobby king then look at the multistar line of products. These are supposed to be geared towards multirotors. They have a motor and prop package for about $15 per set.

wolfman76

i have 3 multiiwii boards that i built curtisy of craig (tasajara) i have a naza-m w/GPS and also a multiiwii copter w/GPS mag compass also on one of my multiiwii boards i built i also have the nunchuk board under the main board.... my blueskyrc.com spider quad has the multiiwii copter control board on w/oled and gps mag compass have not got to use that yet although it is a bit pricey it comes already programmed and is rock solid and of course everyone knows that naza is pretty much one of the best controllers on the market very pricey!!!! but i can't wait to use it originally had it for the tbs quad i sold but most def gonna use it for my fpv quad probably the flitetest h-quad frame i built.... but when it all comes down to it it is up to you and what you are willing to pay for.. cheeper setup to start with is probably the smart choice for now and as far as i know you can't go wrong with the kk boards still gonna get 1 to try it out... oh yeah i got all the stuff to build my multiiwii boards from blueskyrc.com and they give you the links to get the stuff they don't sell to build it... but whatever you choose good luck buddy your'e gonna love flying them

Karubah

Update on Afro ESC's. I have run into an issue with the Afro ESC's. I t seems that they don't like motors with a high pole count. I have had a number of crashes on the Tri because of a motor cutting out or hiccuping at the wrong time. It turns out that the Afros are the cause and they are currently working on new firmware to fix this. It's a real bugger as it has cost me 3 servos, HXT900's. :cussing:

Stambo

and of course everyone knows that naza is pretty much one of the best controllers on the market

Really?
Google naza runaway or naza flyaway and see what you come up with.
I have first hand experience of this happening.
Luckily the quad had telemetry gear on board and we managed to track it down nearly 1.5km away.
I now have little trust in it and the guy that owns it has shelved it for a KK2 until this problem is resolved.

wolfman76

Never heard of that but I have now... have to watch for that when I set mine up finally... thanks for that info

SIXFOOTER

Couple questions on the KK setup
Will this work for a programmer adaptor?
Usbasp USB AVR Programmer for ATMEL USB ASP Usbisp ISP Arduino Bootloader USA | eBay
HK is out of stock
Next Q, There is a 2 pin port on the KK board for Analog devices, I assume this is for accelerometers, what else can be put on there?
I have the KK board, motors, ESCs, RX, all I got to do now is put it together.
Also ordered a bunch of stuff to set up for FPV, HK is loving me about now.

SIXFOOTER

Upon further examination I see that there is no aux device inputs and it looks like the board contains all that.I have the old kk2 board without the voltage sense port.
SO how do you get Alt?
I am planning on EZ OSD for this thing, will it work with this setup?
Is the software available to update the version of KK2? I powered it up tonight and I didn't see the version of bird I have, H4.all I saw in the menu is X4.
Last Q for tonight, it looks like I can use single wire jumpers from the Rx to the FC for all but 1 port, will this work? It would sure look a lot better.
When done this bird should have:
Gopro3 black
HK 1080P wing camera
5.8mhz Immersionrc 600mw tx
EzOSD unless there is something more appropriate

Also building a ground station with tracking antenna
Fat Shark dominator
Immersionrc duo RX
Eagle eyes ground station

Jerryz

OK I have an Aerosky Quad. I hooked up the KK2 board. I have engine wires going to the proper connections on the board, I have conducted an ACC calibration, and checked the motor layout for propeller direction. When I power it up, It flips like a pancake. Any thoughts?:scratchchin:

Lee

1) is you KK2 board facing the correct way?
2) Motors spinning the right way?
3) CW and CCW props on the correct motors?
Other than those 3 things, theres not much else it could be.

Jerryz

1) is you KK2 board facing the correct way?
2) Motors spinning the right way?
3) CW and CCW props on the correct motors?
Other than those 3 things, theres not much else it could be.

Yes to to 2 and 3. I'm not sure it was facing the right way before. I assume the little arrow faces forward.

Top Bottom