Uploading to youtube questions

Lee

I just made a video. I tried to upload it using youtube on my laptop, which said it would take 3 hours!!! So i synced it to my ipod and tried to upload it to youtube from there. Same setting no change and it says 30mins???? Why is it quicker through the ipod?

Tony

Staff member
Because you need a new computer :poke:

I will bet it's because of the compression. Your computer may be uploading it at full size, and your ipod may be compressing it down quite a bit to a lower quality.

Derek

Yeah, 3 hours in an insane amount of time. Even 30 minutes is alot.

When I was uploading my 20 minute long videos about my FB Albatross plane, I think it took about 25 minutes to upload from my HP.

stokke

Compression between computer and ipod = fast
Compression between computer and youtube = slow

My best guess :D

Lee

Well i take most of my videos with the ipod anyway. So any i don't will be synced to my ipod for uploading.

Wolfman

Yeah I have found that if I up load a video from the computer it takes forever, but if I upload it from work on my phone it pops right through. My computer is only a year old, and I have road runner cable. My phone is a android phone Galaxy note II, I don't get enough signal with the phone at home, go figure!

the upload time from my place sucks too. it just took me around 10 mins to upload a 90 second video, but, i am in New Zealand, so it is to be expected.

Westy

LEGEND
It is mostly do do with ISP contention ratio (ICR). I used to work for a large ISP in Australia and it is all about you get what you pay for......

Contention rate is like ...... well look at it like this ... the internet is a highway and lets say you have eight lanes of what we will call "Upstream Highway" . The Highway has a series of eletronic toll booths - ETAGS (ISP ROUTERS AND SWITCHES)..... If you are the only one on it you go straight through .... but as the highway fills the tolls gate open slower and slower ..... and then if it gets to bad they grid lock and start queuing cars (DATA) and give certain Cars (DATA) preferential treatment ... (Voice data for instance)

ISP's will not divulge thier Contention ratios .... but it all comes down to Infrastructure cost Vs Profit return ..... if you have an "all you can eat" Unlimited PLan with an ISP .... it is cheaper ... but you get exactly what you pay for.

We used to put about 1500 customers (IP Addresses) to 1MbPS of data capacity and set up Vlans and rate shape to get the most money we could out of our data links (ATM and FIBRE)

For our business customers demanding performance..... they paid good money for dedicated circuits (1:1 Contention Ratio) this is for web servers and high end stuff.....

Other options we used to offer was a shared Business .... (cost divided by say 20 customers) for a 10Mbps link etc..... all sorts of things can be done.

===============================================================================================================================
"I actually managed and set up a mini ISP Infrastructure that was capable of Total Awesomeness! back in 2000 where in AUSSIE .... only Dial Up and HDSL and ISDN were available .... we were doing 155Mbps Atm & point to point laser services Direct to our ISP backbone! (1 Hop!).......... I do miss that job actually in all geeky honesty! haha"
===============================================================================================================================

So the more you pay..... the more of your highway you get to use! ..... don't sweat it .... it is global common practice among all ISP's ..... we used to do deals with other ISP and set up Peering arrangements between Critical Global Links world wide..... (We Share yours ..... you share ours at no Cost!)

ISP's can (we used to do it all the time) detect all types of data and prioritise it as we saw fit ... and video data was always low on the list of priority (unless of course it was the business class)
hope that explains it better.

Last edited:

Lee

Thanks Westy, good info.
But it doesn't explain the fact that two cars (ipod, mac) going on the same road at the same time have a different speed. 30mins and +3hrs. Or does it?

Lee

Thanks Westy, good info.
But it doesn't explain the fact that two cars (ipod, mac) going on the same road at the same time have a different speed. 30mins and +3hrs. Or does it?

Westy

LEGEND
it will if the packet data is of a different nature... depends how apple encapulates its data.... and how the ISP filters priority on that type of data through its routers....

Top Bottom