Turnigy 2in1 Power Meter Review

Tony

Staff member
Thanks to mountaindewdude76 (I'm so going to change his name, it's too friggin long lmao), I was able to test, and now own my very first watt meter. Not only is this a power meter for motors, but it's also used to check the servos and what kind of power they are pulling. Needless to say, this meter can and will come in very handy. I may not need it every day, but when you do need it, it's very nice to have.

The Turnigy Power Meter, as stated above is used to test the power draw of motors and servos. On Channel 1, you can test the servos. There is a max 8.4vDC and 10a on channel 1 for the servos. On channel 2, there is a max limit of 60vDC and 100a. Needless to say, it should handle everything I have laying around here.

I started off soldering the plugs onto the wires since it doesn't come with any. Once that was done, I grabbed the only plane that I had ready and connected to my DX8, the Edge 540 Mini.

I start out by plugging in and testing the motor. Then I test out one of the servos (left aileron to be specific). To my surprise the screen is a full color screen to an extent, but it very nice for what it is and what it costs. I was able to pull over 300w out of this little motor and I can't wait to put it on my big Edge 540T and see if I can pull some really good numbers.

If you have any questions about this meter, let me know and I will try to answer them. Hopefully most of the questions are answered in the video below. It's just too bad that I don't have more planes, or better yet, a helicopter to test this out on. In due time I guess.

Click the link below for the manual to this meter.
View attachment 885808003X365809X40.pdf

Turnigy 2in1 Power Meter, Watt Meter, Motor Tester, Servo Tester - YouTube

Derek

This was a great review, Tony! Just perfect! The only thing that I would have done better is....actually, forget that...I can't think of anything that I would have done better, lmao!!!

I gotta say...this little 2-in-1 Meter is pretty cool! Just like you said in the video...it does what Turnigy claims it will do...and to be able to test motors AND servo's on the same meter....I think that's a "two thumbs up!!!" As far as the price...I think I paid $17.24 for each. I bought two...one for me and that one for you. Shipping costs were about $6. If I remember right, the total was just a bit over $40.00.

I really like the display screen. It's very legible. I like that records the max voltage when testing servos. It's a shame that it doesn't record the max wattage when testing motors. All in all...I like it and it sounds like you like it, too.

As you know, Tony, I did by the Tacon Bigfoot 160 brushless (245kv) for my big plane. No, I haven't tested the motor yet with this meter. I still need to get my act together and get my lipo's and Rx pack ordered for my big plane. Darn fuel pump went out on my Trailblazer the other day...that was pricey. I'll be ordering the lipo's and Rx pack today (I think, lol) and when all that gets here, I'll be doing some testing of the motor.

I'm glad that you got the meter. I'm glad you are able to get some use from it.

Take care buddy! Great video review!

Lee

I really liked the look of that meter when it came out. Need to update my tool kit and that may be the first thing i get when i start working again.

Tony

Staff member
Actually after watching it on youtube to proof it for the final time (I have uploaded some stuff that I was nto supposed to lmao), it hit me that I should have tested it with both the motor and servos hooked up to the meter at the same time so I could see if it would work. Might blow some smoke, might not lmao. Only one way to find out though.

I did make a PDF copy of the manual, but in all reality, if anyone has this meter, they have the manual so I'm not going ot upload it. The PDF that I have I scanned into my computer with picture settings just so you could blow it up big enough to read, and it's over 20MB. Just a little too big to put on the server being that it's such a small manual.

I can't wait to see what that motor of yours pulls. Just make sure to watch the meter. If you are getting over 80a before you hit full throttle, you will want to back it down. If you watch mine, it jumped up pretty quickly on the power in the last 1/4 throttle. I wanted to hold it longer to show the voltage drop, but the only thing that I could hold onto was the wing and part of the fuse. I ended up cracking a piece of wood in my wing, and if the plane had slipped, I would have been hurting. The prop was only about 4" from my face as I was sitting there trying to get the shot when I ran it up.

After I shut it down, you can hear things falling lmao. I blew crap all over my desk on the first run up (the one you saw was the second. If you watch the video, you can see the numbers jump). Teh second one that you saw was not as bad, but stuff still moved. That little motor puts out some power. Enough to hover, I know that.

But I will try to get my big Edge going and test it. It's the Tacon .32 motor on that one. Might play around with the timing in the ESC and see what happens with different settings.

Tony

Staff member
I really liked the look of that meter when it came out. Need to update my tool kit and that may be the first thing i get when i start working again.

It seemed to work pretty good. I was going through the "pull" (I'm a drag racer and LOVE to go to the dyno, so it's a "pull" lmao) frame by frame, and noticed that the meter showed a reading that was a little higher than what the max showed as you could see by the text I put up there to show the wattage. What I like is the meter is very small and if it stands the test of time, it will be very worth the $20 that *ahem* Derek paid for it :chuckles:

So far after just that one test, it's worth it. Now to find other things to test.

Derek

Here is the link for the 2-in-1 Meter Tester:

Turnigy 2 in 1 Power Meter/Servo Meter 1.5 TFT

I did check the US warehouse site and this meter isn't available there so it will have to be purchased from their Global warehouse. It took about 2 weeks for the meter to get to me.

I just thought I'd post this in case someone wanted a quick link to the meter so they could see the specs and all.

Tony

Staff member
I saw that on the page, and forgot to add it lmao. I added the file to the first post just above the video. Much smaller size than my file that I created lmao. And much better since it's the original.

Derek

Holy crap, I'm blind!!! I didn't even see that you added that, lol.

Oops, just trying to help, lol.

Tony

Staff member
No worries, I added it after you posted the link lmao. Just making sure your still awake...

Derek

Hey there BOKI!!! Yes, Tony did a great job on this product video review and he demonstrated it very well. This lil meter is pretty cool! I've used it to do some minor testing just so that I could get familiar with it's functions but....I'll be using it to do some testing on my servos and my big Tacon Bigfoot 160 motor that I have on my 20 foot wingspan plane. I've still been working on it....slowly but I'm getting there. I'll make some videos of my progress as soon as my needed parts arrive.

...and for $17.40......it's a pretty cool little tool to have.

BOKI

mountaindewdude76; Derek can't wait to see the big plane! Probably get a meter someday also! Can't wait see your videos! Dave The Best!

Top Bottom