Truck Problems

Adam

So my old truck i rebuilt started making a whining noise i got new tires and it is getting louder. So i put it up on stands put it in drive and it is what i thought the rear end bearrings lol. So i have it all apart and the bearings will be in tomorrow at 9. This guy at an mechanic shop said like 700 for just the pinion bearings well im doing it for 160 i sent him an message and said can i have a job

Tony

Staff member
If you are doing the pinion bearings, you had better get a new crush washer and sleeve and torque them to spec. Once that is done, you need to check your backlash to verify that it hasn't changed. If you run it out of spec, you will wear the gears out in the rear end. There is a very good reason they charge $700, it's a lot of work to change those bearings. Make sure to replace the bearing race as well.

Stambo

If it was whining it's probably already too late. Whine is more likely crown and pinion teeth than bearings.
Bearings are generally a lower pitch grumble.

If you are lucky enough to get away with bearings, it's not as simple as just replacing them.
While backlash is important you also need to check the contact area on the teeth with bearing blue or similar.
You should get a nice oval to almost bean shaped pattern near the middle of the crown wheel teeth.
If you don't know how to do this, take it to someone who does other wise you may as well just flush $160 plus your labour down the toilet.
As Tony said, there is a reason they were gonna charge $700.
We don't do a 5 year apprenticeship in the trade for nothing, and this is just so we can learn to learn.
I've been at it for 40 years and I'm still learning.

Tony

Staff member
You are exactly right Stambo about the pattern on the gears. I use a lead based paint that is made just for this. I didn't put it in the above post because when you start talking about wear patterns, people tend to get confused. But you are right that it needs to be as close to the center of the ring gear teeth as you can get it.

I got impatient when installing my 3.73's into my camaro and got it "close enough". You would swear there was a super charger in my rear end lol. I left it that way for two years and when I pulled the gears out, they were trashed. Put some factory 3.42's in there and everything is golden.

Westy

LEGEND
yep ... what they said .... that is why We charge the big bucks .... cause when the unwary just go ahead and do the job thinking they are getting it done cheap ... they actually "Casue more damage" you need to set up the preload correctly and also as above ... using bearing blue, check the contact marking patterns .... so you can adjust the shimming on the pinion or move the crown wheel in toward the pinion or away.

This is an art and you have to be patient and also you must put drag on the crown wheel when doing the contact test or you will also get a "False Reading". Anyway I am sure you are aware of this.... so I will turn off my Trumpet now ;)

- - - Updated - - -

As Tony said, there is a reason they were gonna charge $700.
We don't do a 5 year apprenticeship in the trade for nothing, and this is just so we can learn to learn.
I've been at it for 40 years and I'm still learning.

REALLY????? you dont look a day over 35 heh heh.....

Adam

Ok guys so it took me until Sunday afternoon to get this thing nailed. And i went with an kit to rebuild with new crush collar. Time to school you two lol. Whining while accelarating means your front bearing on your pinion off the gas its the back bearing. I used the new crush collar in the kit and the yolk or bearings would not set. Tore it all apart again checked the old crush to the new, called my friend who owned the shop and he said we almost always put the stock crush collar back in. He also checked my back lash and said good job. We now get together again like the old days since we found out we live right around the corner from each other and well he is into rc too. Woohoo. 300 miles on my rebuilt rearend and it couldnt of been more of a learning experience. thanks

Top Bottom