500 Trex 500 Rudder Conversion

Tony

Staff member
It's pretty common on the 520's. Like I said, i have two of them and they are both that way and had to be cleaned. If you have to replace it, you can always go with the 525 which is a little better. or better yet, wait for the new 450 build that I'm about to do which I will be installing an absolutely AWESOME tail servo onto it. But, I'm still waiting for it to come in the mail.

Tony

Staff member
Just read your second post, and again, the 525 is a good upgrade, but the one that I have coming is even better. A little more pricey but if you spend any amount of money on a helicopter, put it in the tail. But I need to test the servo first before I actually say yay or nay on it.

Harford

I just powered up the heli again, the servo did not centre this time so I am assuming a new servo is the only practical option. This heli has had very little use but perhaps sitting around hasn't done it any good. Just surprised just a low usage servo would fail like this. How long approx until you are in a position to reveal the alternative you have mentioned please ?

Tony

Staff member
If you are in HH mode, it will not center. You need to be in rate mode for it to center.

Harford

I enjoyed the video - great explanation. However when I connect the battery in my helicopters, I am always in HH mode, and after initialization the rudder servo centres. Am I wrong ?

Tony

Staff member
Nope, you are exactly right. The way I do it as well as many others is we will set one position of a switch to HH and the other to Rate. The reason for this is right before we spool it up, we will flip it down into rate mode which will center the tail servo, then put it back into HH mode. If you plug in the helicopter and do not move it, it will stay centered. But if you power it up and move to a flying spot it will always be moved.

Harford

Thanks Tony. In any event, the servo now is not responding correctly to Tx inputs so I am sure I should replace it. I think you saying the DS525 (I guess there maybe a M version) or wait until the build you have coming up.

Harford

Still on this project and now checking over the tail to make sure there is no binding. I have found that the tail blade holders have some slop in them (not a lot). Is this acceptable/normal on a Trex 500 ? The blade holders are assembled correctly. I am guessing I could reduce/remove the slop by introducing some shims but I am not so sure this is the right thing to do. Many thanks

Powerdyne

Still on this project and now checking over the tail to make sure there is no binding. I have found that the tail blade holders have some slop in them (not a lot). Is this acceptable/normal on a Trex 500 ? The blade holders are assembled correctly. I am guessing I could reduce/remove the slop by introducing some shims but I am not so sure this is the right thing to do. Many thanks

This is normal, and should not be shimmed out. Once the tail is spinning, the thrust bearings load up and reduce axial and lateral play. If you shim it out, the bearings will be pre loaded and could cause undesirable tail issues such as wag, binding of the linkages, and premature bearing wear.

All of my Align helis have some play, and from what I have read and been told; it's totally normal.

Harford

Yes, many thanks for this answer. I had read this elsewhere - adding shims or modifying the tail to reduce/eliminate the slop would compromise the thrust bearings so I have left it all alone. Still deeply immersed in my rebuild to reduce/eliminate vibrations to fix the rudder servo jittering issue.

Top Bottom