General Trex-500 head setup for Sport flying

Robair

Dear Sirs,

I have just bought a Trex500 having graduanted up from a 450 and I am midstream in teh setting up of teh S3g and rotor head.

My question which I hope you can help with.

I have all my rotor head servos horizontal, swash plate horizontal and blades at 0 degrees pitch with swash plate mid shaft.

Bearing in mind that I am only interested in Sport flying and hope I never have to invert my helicopter intentionally, I believe I have no need for a lower collective pitch angle of -12 or anything less than -2. From my 450 experience, I would want my lower limit of collective pitch at -2 and upper limit of +12 degrees. Is my thinking correct?

Do I therefore set my pitch curve on my transmitter to give me this -2 / +12 collective spread or am I staring from the incorrect starting point?

The only way I can manage this is with an very shallow pitch curve which obviously means that I have almost no transmitter stick movement to go from -2 to +12. It seems wrong.

I really hope you can assist and thank you in advance.

Regards
Rob

Tony

Staff member
I know you don't want to do any 3D, however, you really do need to set the head of the helicopter up with the same positive and negative pitches. That way you know you are setting it up correctly.

Do this with a linear pitch curve (0 25 50 75 100). Once you have the same pitch in both directions, THEN go into your Tx and change your pitch curve to 46 48 50 75 100. This will limit your negative pitch.

But please set the head up with full negative first.

And also, welcome to Rc-Help! I have moved this thread to the beginner help section so that this thread can help others in the future. To try and keep things organized, we don't allow tech questions in the introduction area.

:welcome1:

Derek

Hi there, Rob! I completely understand what you are saying but I have to absolutely agree with Tony. There is nothing wrong with only wanting to be a Sport flying. In my eyes, rc helicopters are amazing in any flying style (3D, Sport, Scale). However, even the professional "Scale" pilots will have their helicopters "initially" setup with a pitch range of +/-10 degrees to +/-13 degrees and then they will simply setup the transmitter with a pitch curve either exactly like Tony mentioned above or very similar. In fact, I use that same pitch curve on all 3 of my helicopters, in Normal Mode.

The bottom line is this....it's just absolutely essential to set up the rotor head properly so that you know that the swash plate, linkages, and servos are all moving appropriately.

Good luck!!!

Tony

Staff member
Derek, don't forget, I had this same conversation with you at one point lol. We have all been there. Only flying sport, no need for negative, or so we thought. We all live and learn.

Derek

Derek, don't forget, I had this same conversation with you at one point lol. We have all been there. Only flying sport, no need for negative, or so we thought. We all live and learn.

lol, I remember that conversation, Tony! At that time, I had no intention of needing negative collective but it made sense to me to get it all set up properly and just use the tx to limit the negative pitch. Now, it's a different story entirely. Sure, I can still just stay in Normal Mode (with a pitch curve of 46,48,50,75,100) and just sport fly if I would desire.

Robair

This sounds like it could be a bit of a challenge or even a wager :biggrin-new::biggrin-new:
I will let you know how I progress.

murankar

Staff member
This conversation has occurred a few times. No matter your flight type setup has to be done in "3d" mode.

Pitch will be even though out pitch range no matter what the curve later on. Its important to setup in 3d mode.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Derek

This conversation has occurred a few times. No matter your flight type setup has to be done in "3d" mode.

Pitch will be even though out pitch range no matter what the curve later on. Its important to setup in 3d mode.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Agreed!

Dirk

HI Rob. Welcome to the forum. I missed your posts earlier on. We are now three "manne" from SA. (As far as I know)

Glad to see you came right with your pitch curves.

Where in SA are you Rob? I'm in Knysna.

Robair

Hi Dirk,
Nice to meet you on-line.
Yes - the pitch curve issue is now firmly sorted out.
Where is the other guy from?

Top Bottom